The Acts of Caine by Matt Woodring Stover

Larry.

I am really getting forward to digging into this series. Especially after reading a few interviews with the guy, his intensity and passion for the genre really makes me excited to see how that energy translates to his writing. I was fortunate enough to pick up BoT in a used bookshop for $4 last week, and I have Heroes Die on order at the local book shop - hopefully that will be in today.

[quote name='respectabull' post='1584561' date='Nov 11 2008, 03.15']I just finished CBK and I am in love with stover.... I want to find shatterpoint and read it. I'm not into books written about staw wars but I am certain stover can make it worth my while.[/quote]
It's worth it. I'm not a big SW novel fan either, but Shatterpoint was really, really good.

[quote name='Thrashalla']I was fortunate enough to pick up BoT in a used bookshop for $4 last week, and I have Heroes Die on order at the local book shop - hopefully that will be in today.[/quote]
You were very fortunate. If you can find a copy online under $20 you're very lucky.

I just went back and started another re-read of Heroes Die to pick out all the details in CBK that I know I missed. Damn but I wish he wrote more of these books.

Here's someone else who'd like to get an affrodable copy of Blade of Tyshale. To think that a few years ago I was in a store where they had 3 copies, all of them remaindered, and I chose not to buy because I'm sure they would be available when I wanted them anyway. Unbelievable that Del Rey has ceased printing book 2 but has book 1 in print and just released book 3. Poorly done.

[quote]As far as the writing of His Father's Fist, I imagine that at worst Stover will work on it in between his "paying" projects, which at the moment consist of a Star Wars novel that should be wrapped up given its December release date, and an unnamed media tie-in in that Stover mentioned on theforce.net (after which he also mentioned a slight hold up on that front). It still might be a bit of a wait, but I have no problem waiting for quality.[/quote]

Zach, it's been 7 or 8 years I believe since BoT and people might well wait another 8 years for His Father's Fist. There is no guarantee whatsoever that that book is coming out.

You know, I'm beginning to worry about a potential backlash and those claiming that Stover is "overrated" and that he's being hyped too much by his publisher ;)

• 3 weeks later...
[quote name='Calibandar' post='1589569' date='Nov 14 2008, 15.50']Here's someone else who'd like to get an affrodable copy of Blade of Tyshale. To think that a few years ago I was in a store where they had 3 copies, all of them remaindered, and I chose not to buy because I'm sure they would be available when I wanted them anyway. Unbelievable that Del Rey has ceased printing book 2 but has book 1 in print and just released book 3. Poorly done.[/quote]

[url="http://mattstover.blogspot.com/2008/12/hey.html"]Stover just said on his blog[/url] that Del Rey is releaseing [i]Blade of Tyshalle [/i]as an e-book on December 9th.

FYI, there's a great interview with Stover up at Bookspot Central [url="http://www.bookspotcentral.com/2008/12/on-the-spot-at-bookspotcentral-matthew-stover-interview/"]http://www.bookspotcentral.com/2008/12/on-...over-interview/[/url]

Every interview of his that I've read has been almost as entertaining as the actual writing of his that I've read...[i]almost[/i].

[quote name='Dylanfanatic' post='1589943' date='Nov 15 2008, 07.44']You know, I'm beginning to worry about a potential backlash and those claiming that Stover is "overrated" and that he's being hyped too much by his publisher ;)[/quote]
I know at least the last part of that statement was written with tongue planted firmly in cheek. I imagine if Mr. Stover were lucky enough to be with Orbit he'd be marketed a little better.

[quote name='Dylanfanatic' post='1560263' date='Oct 18 2008, 11.34']I knew of people who read [i]Blade of Tyshalle[/i] first and while that book referenced events from [i]Heroes Die[/i] much more than [i]Caine Black Knife[/i] references these two books, it too worked as a stand-alone tale. That being said, with half of the book being set before the events of [i]Heroes Die[/i] and the other half dealing with Caine/Hari returning to the scene of that particular event, it's hard to reference things from those two novels.

So yeah, that's the long way of saying knock yerself out :P[/quote]

Oh brilliant! I was about to ask if it was a posible stand-alone whenI saw this. :)

• 6 months later...

I just finished Heroes Die and thought it freaking rocked. So of course the next thing I do is try to find the second Caine book, Blade of Tyshalle, only to find out that it's out of print. WTF?!

First of all, I don't understand how Stover is not more popular than he is. I've only read Heroes Die, but I immediately wanted to go out and read more. I'm sure I'm not alone here, since it seems like pretty much everything I've heard about him is positive, so it's really surprising to me that he isn't more successful.

Okay, back to the topic at hand. I saw that Blade of Tyshalle is available as an e-book, but I loathe e-books. I don't have any kind of digital reading device, and the thought of reading an 800 page book on my computer kind of makes me want to tear my eyes out. Does anyone know where I can find a copy (used is fine) of Blade of Tyshalle for less than $30? Maybe through a good book trading site or something like that?

It takes luck. Anything that appears on-line gets gobbled up rather quickly, so you have to be vigilant.

You could look into IndieBound and see if the results are any better than Amazon or Abe's. http://www.indiebound.org/book/9780345421432

I found my copy at a local used book store. It was one of those books I looked for every time I went into a bookstore. My advice, spend a Saturday going to every possible used bookstore in your area. Maybe you'll get lucky.

It takes luck. Anything that appears on-line gets gobbled up rather quickly, so you have to be vigilant.

You could look into IndieBound and see if the results are any better than Amazon or Abe's. http://www.indiebound.org/book/9780345421432

I found my copy at a local used book store. It was one of those books I looked for every time I went into a bookstore. My advice, spend a Saturday going to every possible used bookstore in your area. Maybe you'll get lucky.

I think that's what I'll do. I've been wanting to get my hands on a copy as well and given that I'm bored most Saturdays anyway, this could be fun. I'll consider it a mission and scour London looking for it.

I found mine on Abebooks, but you have to check the site regularly and have a bit of luck. :)

Thanks for the heads up. I'll keep checking their site. Sounds like I'll have to be on top of my game if I want to find a copy at a reasonable price.

I'll also add Indiebound to my list of sites for the hunt. The used bookstore crawl is worth a shot, but doesn't seem too promising. I feel like there aren't very many good used bookstores in my area, and the ones that are near me are very thin in the SFF sections.

I just ordered it from Alibris, but it was $33.00.

This is what I'm hoping to avoid. I'm supposed to be on a budget since I'll be student teaching this fall and won't have any income. :( While I probably would have paid that before, spending $33 on a paperback book is a little difficult to justify right now.

This is why I don't even bother with going to bookstores anymore, they tend to disappoint. Predictably, the Free Library in Philadelphia carries it. Did you check your public library system?

Archived