The Acts of Caine by Matt Woodring Stover

Larry.

Blade of Tyshalle is definitely my favorite, probably followed by Heroes Die, then Caine's Law, then Caine Black Knife. The structure of the latter two made them less enjoyable to me - CBK is only half a story, and a less interesting one at that, and CL is... well, I still don't know what it is. I'm going to need to reread it to make any sense of it.

5 hours ago, First of My Name said:

Blade of Tyshalle is definitely my favorite, probably followed by Heroes Die, then Caine's Law, then Caine Black Knife. The structure of the latter two made them less enjoyable to me - CBK is only half a story, and a less interesting one at that, and CL is... well, I still don't know what it is. I'm going to need to reread it to make any sense of it.

I came to the series late and read both CBK and CL back to back.  Since they were so short compared to BoT, I think I sort of considered them to be one story.  Makes it even harder for me to consider where I would place them in a ranking of the series.  :dunno: 

I consider The Acts of Caine to be one of the best series - ever - in the genre. With the four books each having such a specific character, I find it hand to rank one of them better than the other. Of course, Blade of Tyshalle might be technically superior and it also has one of the strongest intros of all fantasy books written. The stories played out in Heroes Die and Blade of Tyshalle however continue to grow with perspectives added in CBK and CL.

Making a comparison to another giant in the genre, Bakker keeps the tension in his series by using layres of revelation in which pieces of the methaphysical puzzle are added in each book. Stover, on the other side, makes the series evolve by making the protagonist evolve - looking back on his previous actions. Thus, CBK and CL make HD/BoT even better. 

It's like evaluating an orchestra. for people reading books one at at time, I totally understand if Caine's law is a bit 'out there'. But for people seeking to consume something bigger than than, I think CL really lift the series to another level. BoT is like the strong vocal solo, with CL providing the background support.  The beauty lies in making all of this come together.

I so hope that Stover can find the time to return to this setting again!

G

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

I came to the series late and read both CBK and CL back to back.  Since they were so short compared to BoT, I think I sort of considered them to be one story.  Makes it even harder for me to consider where I would place them in a ranking of the series.  :dunno: 

I did the same, but I can't help but view them as seperate since they are so completely differently structured. CBK has two storylines in the same timeline, and CL about 10 storylines in 10 different timelines, in half of which I wasn't sure what the hell was happening. Which also makes it easier for me to distinguish between them. Stover did intend for them be one story though, hence the subtitle 'Act of Atonement, Part One' and 'Part Two.'

Archived