Football no. 11

Horza

Manchester United have been urged by former Chelsea and France defender Marcel Desailly to pay whatever it takes to sign Bayern Munich playmaker Franck Ribery - even if it costs £150m

hahahahahahah

I read some article on goal.com speculating in whether using the old guard is a tactical masterstroke by Lippi, lowering expectations to the Azzurri, allowing them to attack as a dark horse, a position they seem to prefer to being favourites. It's a stretch, but they do have some really, really talented youngsters coming through, like Giovinco, Foggia, Pelissier, Balotelli, Santon and Rossi. They won't have a lot of time to settle, though, if that is indeed the intention of Lippi.

Looks like Liverpool is getting Glen Johnson. A good signing, I think.

I read some article on goal.com speculating in whether using the old guard is a tactical masterstroke by Lippi, lowering expectations to the Azzurri, allowing them to attack as a dark horse, a position they seem to prefer to being favourites.

They first have to qualify. They travel to Ireland in a few months. If they lose that, they are in trouble. :P Admittedly, we aren't very good...

I'm curious what ESPN is going to do with the rights to PL matches they just bought from Setanta. From the articles I can't tell if they are just going to show them on their international channels or also on their regular channels in the US. That would be interesting, because Saturday mornings in the Fall is college football season and the NFL owns Sundays. ESPN did a decent job with Champions League games and it would be awesome if they started showing more leagues in the future.

I'm curious what ESPN is going to do with the rights to PL matches they just bought from Setanta. From the articles I can't tell if they are just going to show them on their international channels or also on their regular channels in the US. That would be interesting, because Saturday mornings in the Fall is college football season and the NFL owns Sundays. ESPN did a decent job with Champions League games and it would be awesome if they started showing more leagues in the future.

I've been wondering about this too. The announcement on soccernet.com (ESPN's soccer website) mentions pay-per-view broadcast in the UK, but no mention of broadcast in the US. It's not clear whether the rights are to show games in the UK only. FSC owns rights to broadcast in the US, although I think Setanta were broadcasting their games here in the US too.

Fingers crossed. This might expand our choice of weekend games. But then the question will be which set of commentators is more annoying. Tommy "bulging the old onion bag" Smith on ESPN is the single most annoying commentator of all, and his anti-English sniping at some of his colleagues is just pathetic. On the other hand, FSC do have Keith Costigan and he is pretty irritating. It wounds my nationalist pride that these two worst commentators are both Irish. Where did they find them?

that was a weak tackle to be given a straight red. bullshit i say. the fifa governing body will not allow spain to be blanked by the lowly american squad.

ESPN commentators (I can only watch on the tubes) agreed with you on that. I'll have to try to catch replays.

How the hell did that happen?, I don't think any of the US team would have even made the Spanish squad so that's a fantastic performance from the USA. I am a bit disappointed we won't see a Brazil Spain final but you can't say that the Spanish didn't have their chances to win and didn't take them.

holy shit. this is amazing.

that was a weak tackle to be given a straight red. bullshit i say. the fifa governing body will not allow spain to be blanked by the lowly american squad.

The guy doing the ESPN gamecast said the same thing. He also said Fabregas had a yellow streak down the middle of his head. Was that there? I am going to watch the game tonight.

Also, quick question. Spain has way more shots on goal than the US. Was their inability to convert a result of great keeping by Howard, or because they simply couldn't find the back of the net?

Howard had some good saves, but the back line had some very good frantic defending. Lots of deflected shots at the last possible second.

Archived