Creepy

Seventh Pup

the one situation I can think of is this one guy I know who I go to school with and be having a perfectly normal conversation about then all of the sudden he'll give me the "bed room eyes"an his voice gets all soft and says something like we'll I thin your really cute.

Its just creepy how he stops and does it, and the fact that I have told him to stop it but he does it anyway.

However I think he may just not know how to flirt.

Well, maybe it was just because of everything else. And his "hints" that he should have been invited. And him inviting himself over to my house.

Seriously, those are just a few things he did to me. I know some one with her own list of ways he creeped her out.

:stunned:

So that was $100 see what an awesome martyr I am guilt. If that list was all one guy you should seriously have a restraining order.

I really can't think of any anecdotes to share in this thread.

I think I have a very high threshold for creepiness/social awkwardness.

Probably because I socialized with nerds at a young age, and still find myself drawn to "outsiders". I also work in science, which means I come across absolutely brilliant, kind, good and borderline Aspergers people on a regular basis. I also occasionally meet complete strangers who read epic fantasy ;)

Or maybe I'll just have to join AG and Simon in the creepy corner.

See, once again I think people think that creepy=social awkwardness or nerdiness. It doesn't. The person I was talking about earlier told everyone he was socially awkward. That was his excuse. When I (or someone else) would tell him to stop or leave us alone, he would not. He counted on no really doing anything about it, because they would feel sorry for him.

Being socially awkward means that you may not always know how to talk to others that you don't know or how to try to pick up someone that you are attracted too. You may not "fit in" with what is popular. This is normal and understandable. But there are also people who don't really understand that when you tell them to leave you alone, that you mean it. These creepy people seem to get some sort of kick out of exercising control over the other person. The old guy on the bus behind Seventh who whispered in her ear probably did so because by making her uncomfortable he therefor had some control over her.This guy I'm talking about seemed to think he could make me like him and by making me think he was suicidal, that he could make me care about him. This is not socially awkward, this is unsettling unhealthy behavior.

:stunned:

So that was $100 see what an awesome martyr I am guilt. If that list was all one guy you should seriously have a restraining order.

Thought about it. I know someone who carries pepper spray because of him. He was told by the school we both attended to never contact me again. I can see him trying to email me again soon since I just graduated.

Some of my creepiest experiences have been on buses. From the homeless man that started petting my hair, to the middle aged man who leaned forward (I was sitting in front of him, and was about 17 at the time) and whispered "soooo seexxxxy" in my ear. Buses can be creepy places.

Creepy or weird encounters on the bus are often very common. There was a girl earlier in the year who caught the same bus as me(7am bus). She would sit next to me(though we never spoke) and she would use my shoulder as a pillow and sleep on me. Her snoring was more of a slightly audible low pitched moan. I asked her to leave me alone a couple of times, finally I switched to a different bus though i had to ride my bike an extra mile out of my way to catch it.

This guy I'm talking about seemed to think he could make me like him and by making me think he was suicidal, that he could make me care about him. This is not socially awkward, this is unsettling unhealthy behavior.

Yes!

Creepiness has a lot to do with for lack of a better word, entitlement. You are not entitled to my attention just because you seek it. I do not have to give you anything because I decided to wear lipstick, and a cute shirt.

Being a shy guy is not a bad thing. Being an honest nice guy is great; but that also means accepting rejections when you get them. Creeps don't take hints; some like Nicole's don't even take flat out rejections. They prey on pity.

Edit: Because excepting and accepting are two very different words. Thank you Mait!

I also find myself staring at two people in conversation, watching their gestures, their reactions, and mannerisms. I try to determine if they're nervous, completely engrossed, etc. Then I try to work those traits into my writing so I don't have to say "he was nervous." I can show it in how he acts.

This reminds me of the show "Lie to Me" that was on last night - it was really pretty cool.

I've had some creepy run-ins, but not all of it is based on obvious cues like words or touches. There are some people who just creep me out by standing there innocently. I couldn't tell you why, but I go instictively on the defensive. They almost never do anything to prove that they're worthy of such a reaction - but I can't help but wonder if there were some subtle clues that just saved me from an axe-murderer.

Church people creep me out, I can tell you that.

I agree with this. Especially about the feeling threatened bit.

You know, the creepiest situation i ever encountered was shortly after high school. There was this girl who had a wild crush on me. She would send me letters telling me that she would let me have her virginity and that she would do anything to be with me, she would let me do anything to her. She would follow me around at times. We use to do a cruise up and down main street(I don't know if anybody here did anything like that, but you drive up and down a cruising route and socialize with people). One night she started following me and i couldn't lose her. I had to outrace her and park in an old alley way and sneak over to my brother's house. I later found out from her friend that she painted her bedroom to match the color of my car and that she had my name scribbled all over her walls, folders, pictures, etc.

If she were a guy and i were a woman, that would have been creepy as hell. As it was though, I never felt threatened by her. I just felt bad for her. I viewed her as weird and desperate and I pitied her, I never viewed her as creepy.

Being an honest nice guy is great; but that also means excepting rejections when you get them.

Not normally one to point out typos, but I think you mean accepting rejections. Doesn't excepting them mean ignoring in this case?

Creepy or weird encounters on the bus are often very common. There was a girl earlier in the year who caught the same bus as me(7am bus). She would sit next to me(though we never spoke) and she would use my shoulder as a pillow and sleep on me. Her snoring was more of a slightly audible low pitched moan. I asked her to leave me alone a couple of times, finally I switched to a different bus though i had to ride my bike an extra mile out of my way to catch it.

I take the bus everyday and have never quite encountered creepiness. I have encountered weirdness though .... some lady saw me flipping the pages of a Hunter S Thompson book and asked if I was a speed reader. The conversation progressed to the crime wave around us, her solution being to carry pepper spray around and pray to Jesus Christ, and if I tried to do anything she would use it on me. I think she was kidding about the last part. Maybe I carried an aura of creepiness and potential crime waviness around me, but she did initiate the conversation.

I take the bus everyday and have never quite encountered creepiness. I have encountered weirdness though .... some lady saw me flipping the pages of a Hunter S Thompson book and asked if I was a speed reader. The conversation progressed to the crime wave around us, her solution being to carry pepper spray around and pray to Jesus Christ, and if I tried to do anything she would use it on me. I think she was kidding about the last part. Maybe I carried an aura of creepiness and potential crime waviness around me, but she did initiate the conversation.

Buses are a gold mine of weird encounters. Usually good for a laugh though. There's one guy on the bus that's creeped more than a couple of girls out. Then again, I don't know that he's really a creep though because he talks the same way to me....perhaps he's just weird.

On a serious note, yeah, public transportation can be sketchy. A girl I was friends with was on a lite rail train coming home from work a little later than usual and noticed a guy staring at her from a ways a away. It was creeping her out and later she noticed that he was masturbating. I think that is creepiness incarnate.

Wow...that is creepy. I knew a girl who was in sales and she made a sale from a guy who was masturbating on the phone. She was going through the sale confirmation(reading warranty info and all of that legality stuff) and he told her to just keep talking. She made a copy of the tape, funniest shit I've ever heard in my life.

See, once again I think people think that creepy=social awkwardness or nerdiness. It doesn't. The person I was talking about earlier told everyone he was socially awkward. That was his excuse. When I (or someone else) would tell him to stop or leave us alone, he would not. He counted on no really doing anything about it, because they would feel sorry for him.

Being socially awkward means that you may not always know how to talk to others that you don't know or how to try to pick up someone that you are attracted too. You may not "fit in" with what is popular. This is normal and understandable. But there are also people who don't really understand that when you tell them to leave you alone, that you mean it. These creepy people seem to get some sort of kick out of exercising control over the other person. The old guy on the bus behind Seventh who whispered in her ear probably did so because by making her uncomfortable he therefor had some control over her.This guy I'm talking about seemed to think he could make me like him and by making me think he was suicidal, that he could make me care about him. This is not socially awkward, this is unsettling unhealthy behavior.

It's not as simple as that though. I mean, sometimes social awkward also means "Can't take a fucking hint". I know I was like that when I was younger.

Sometimes the other person is just not getting the hint because they've got no fucking idea how to read it.

Of course, when you get to the flat-out saying "No, go away" stage and they still don't leave, then their fucking creepy. But it's been my observation (and not just AT me btw) that most women will avoid actually outright saying this as much as they can. Often because saying it outright is mean. They'll beat around the bush, trying to avoid making a scene. But sometimes, the other person just isn't any good at the whole "hint" thing.

It's not as simple as that though. I mean, sometimes social awkward also means "Can't take a fucking hint". I know I was like that when I was younger.

Sometimes the other person is just not getting the hint because they've got no fucking idea how to read it.

Of course, when you get to the flat-out saying "No, go away" stage and they still don't leave, then their fucking creepy. But it's been my observation (and not just AT me btw) that most women will avoid actually outright saying this as much as they can. Often because saying it outright is mean. They'll beat around the bush, trying to avoid making a scene. But sometimes, the other person just isn't any good at the whole "hint" thing.

I see what you mean. But, a socially awkward person would not masturbate on a bus, or whisper in a teenage girls ear, or follow someone home. Someone mentioned in either this thread or the other that the word "creepy" is used too often. And I would agree. To me creepy is not someone who asks me out and that I do not find attractive.

Also, I agree that not enough women will tell someone outright that someone needs to leave them alone, now. We are taught to be nice, no matter what. Unfortunately, it is this behavior that predators count on.

Archived