Exercise and Fitness V

needle

Capo,

I was tongue-in-cheek. It did not matter because you were not whatever absurd body fat % you thought you were. I'm sorry if this hurts your own impression of yourself, but people with 3.something percent body fat randomly pass out a lot. They certainly aren't hydrated enough to run cross country. It's science, yo.

I did a pure calorie burning workout on the cross trainer today. Between the smog, dust, and scorching temps, I really did not want to run outside.

Much to my ennui, I watched a random episode of Deadwood while on the machine. I don't like the series all that much, but it seems to be the only TV show that my Ipod hasn't spontaneously erased yet.

I think, following Stego, we should all post half nekkid pics of ourselves... Seastarr, you wanna start?? :leer: (just kidding!)

No, thank you. I will be fully clothed when I post my stretches, or when I finally get around to my two "after" pictures, which involve yoga postures and really have nothing to do with what my body looks like, more what it can do. And that, in a nut shell, is why I hate talking about body fat. Because I am way more interested in what my body can do than the details of what it looks like or what numbers it conforms to. This is a happiness thing for me---the more I focus on appearance and numbers, the less content I am. The more I just do my exercise and eat healthfully, the happier I am. So that's what I do.

If you start practicing your yoga again, your balance will come right back. Balance is a skill that absolutely requires regular practice.

ztem--I am just loving "much to my ennui." I think I will have to start using this phrase.

I have done a lot of searching on the internet, and one thing has been clear: less than 5% (for guys) is not only unhealthy, but can lead to decreased performance.

While you have a right to your own views, you might want to check with health professionals too.

link

(I just wouldn't want anyone to damage themselves while looking to be healthier)

This. Thank you Lany. The only reliable method to accurately measure body fat % is using calipers and you shouldn't trust results acquired with any other method. With that said, most elite strength atheletes fit in to the 6-8 % category since performance wise that is the optimal level. Like said, less than 5 % can easily hamper performance because getting to and maintaining that kind of level of body fat is very hard and basically deprives energy from anything else.

Actually, FF, calipers are only a guesstimate. :D

Submersion test and some sort of cat scan thingie are the only real ways to test. Calipers are ok if done by a trained person and are accurate to within + or - 2% bodyfat. :D

Actually, FF, calipers are only a guesstimate. :D

Submersion test and some sort of cat scan thingie are the only real ways to test. Calipers are ok if done by a trained person and are accurate to within + or - 2% bodyfat. :D

In the hands of a trained person they are very accurate when measured from all the 12 major body fat sites. The secret is in the squeeze ;) Anyhow they're more accurate than any other method available to most people in my opinion.

ETA: To make it clear, the above is just based on personal experience

So Stego has given me the courage to post my disgrace. Me at 217.

Most of the inches I have lost have been on the hips and thighs, and only a few on the stomach. I'm at 187 now and still have 37 pounds to go:

now

(those are actually ribs :D )

now 2

Wow, that's a fantastic improvement. Dropping from a BMI of 34 to 28 is really a great achievement.

Ok, so confession time. I've been really slacking off recently. No real reason behind it, no excuses, I've been a slacker. Whilst I've been training Jiujitsu regularly and improving nicely, my separate fitness training has been suffering. So, as a matter of public record so I can't weasel out of it later, I'm putting it out there right now that I will get back into my planned regime, starting today. Cardio training three times a week, either circuit training, interval running or hill sprints. Weights three times a week, this time with a more consistent improvement gradient. Jiujitsu five times a week. On that note, I really should start striking again, either Boxing or Muay Thai so I can become a more rounded fighter. I'll have to look into that.

Wish me luck please!

Lany--you're doing great! congratulations!

liffguard--good luck! sounds like you got a good (and doable) plan.

No, thank you. I will be fully clothed when I post my stretches, or when I finally get around to my two "after" pictures, which involve yoga postures and really have nothing to do with what my body looks like, more what it can do. And that, in a nut shell, is why I hate talking about body fat. Because I am way more interested in what my body can do than the details of what it looks like or what numbers it conforms to. This is a happiness thing for me---the more I focus on appearance and numbers, the less content I am. The more I just do my exercise and eat healthfully, the happier I am. So that's what I do.

If you start practicing your yoga again, your balance will come right back. Balance is a skill that absolutely requires regular practice.

sorry for the inappropriate joke! :blush: I completely agree with you here--my goals will never have anything to do with those kinds of number either. I can respect people for those kind of goals, but I have to focus on other things. They may not make any sense to other people, but they are more along the lines of staying pain-free or pain-controlled, function (in an outwardly normal way when I'm in deep pain), find happiness, etc. These things are more about lifestyle than they are about how many reps or whatever.

I need to learn to be able to do yoga at home. The classes are always tricky to fit into my schedule, and this gym has most of their classes during the day while I'm at work. but I do miss the balance!

I am actually wearing clothes that fit today (my co-workier was seriously picking on me yesterday for my baggy pants). Size 14. (down from 20) :dancing banana: (we really need that emote)

Not all 14s fit me, it's mostly 15/16s still. Anyway, the security guards stopped me this morning and asked how much weight I had lost. This is awesome as they are the first people who didn't know I was working at losing to say something about how I look. It's nice when "strangers" notice.

Archived