Exercise and Fitness V

needle

nm, maybe it does, I'm too tired to think about this right now. I still want to see the diagrams of how this allegedly works.

Do you have any articles on this? Either I am not understanding what you mean by "pull", or...I dunno? Why should it make any difference to your body, physically, whether the surface you are walking on is moving? You're still propelling yourself forward relative to the "sidewalk". And I can see and feel my hamstrings and glutes in use on the treadmill, because I'm vain and I totally check myself out in the mirror. :unsure:

When you run(walk), the foot touching the ground will be a little bit in front of you forcing you to pull your body forward (clawing at the ground) using hamstrings and glutes and almost simultaneously switch to pushing with your quads. In spritning for example it is very important to master the technique of pulling on the ground so that when your foot hits the ground the pull is instant and smooth, otherwise in your effort to just push forward you end up decelerating a little every time.

When you run on a treadmill and your foot hits the mill the moving surface will pull it back instantly and instead of using friction to pull yourself forward the vector of friction is pointing the opposite direction forcing you to PUSH against it in an effort of not falling on your face. I don't think I'm really good at explaining this but it's pretty basic biomechanics. Here's an abstract of a reference article.

I would take issue with calling it the "worst invention" because I know you can still get a great workout on one, however flawed it may be vs. running.

Ok, I was exaggerating again. Maybe it's not one of the worst inventions in the fitness industry but if you can choose between regular running and running on a treadmill, always pick regular running.

for some reason I always push myself harder on the treadmill than I do on the elliptical. Perhaps it's something to do with the basic animal nature of running from/ to something. On the elliptical I know I can do more, I usually just pick a program and go with it until it's over. :dunno:

With the elliptical, I'm in charge of the pace from moment. I usually slow steadily until I catch myself and speed back up again. I prefer to set a speed on the treadmill and be forced to meet it.

I did chest, shoulders and back today, six sets each. Small gripe. What is up with people doing a set directly in front of the dumbbell rack? HELLO McFly!!! You're blocking people getting/putting away dumbbells! Step back three feet for God's sake. Today, I just snaked around the dude doing it.

It's finally a perfect day to take the dogs on a hike up the big hill near my house. Clear skies, but not so hot that the dogs will give out half way up (they detest the heat). So I'm off to go walk uphill. I'm so happy. I lucked out and got the whole evening OFF, which is nearly unheard of for me. I hardly know what to do with myself!

I am in the camp that doesn't like treadmills, ellipticals, and the like. They make me feel like a rat on the wheel, and I'd just rather be outdoors. I do use my Schwinn trainer when the winter gets ugly or the summer gets bitchy though.

I stuck my bike in the car and got the hell out of this foggy city. Had a nice ride by Crystal Springs reservoir. The water was all sparkly and it was about 20 degrees warmer than here, and sunny. :thumbsup:

I like biking, running, and hiking outdoors, but I also like cardio equipment, because I don't have to worry about tripping, getting run over by a car, or anything like that, and sometimes, I just want to get into the zone, put on some music, and turn my brain off. Which is hard to do with a lot of cars around, and the few dedicated walking/bike paths in the city are really crowded, so you can substitute "people going faster or slower than you" for "cars".

Do you have any articles on this? Either I am not understanding what you mean by "pull", or...I dunno? Why should it make any difference to your body, physically, whether the surface you are walking on is moving? You're still propelling yourself forward relative to the "sidewalk".

No, you really aren't. the 'sidewalk' is sliding under you and carrying your foot with it.

The treadmill is fine occasionally, but he's right, you should not be doing all your leg work on the treadmill.

Very, very bad.

Imagine if you were suspended in the air by your upper body and just moved your legs in a running motion in the air. That's effectively what a treadmill does.

This is an exaggeration as you are still propelling yourself forward to some degree, but even so, there's nothing necessarily wrong with this. This is basically the movement of aquajogging or of an anti-gravity treadmill. Those are largely used for recovery and rehabilitation rather than training to run well, but those who have come off them generally have an easy, injury free transition back to running. They haven't been working the wrong muscles or altering their form. Former marathon world record holder Ingrid Kristiansen ran an entire winter almost completely on the treadmill before setting the world record the following summer.

Speaking of running, what are your thoughts on this exercise.

Basically it is suicides but when you get to the point that you normally turn around you would run backwards to the starting point and then go to the next turnaround point.

I noticed that since I've been doing this I get a lot more of a quadricep workout.

Speaking of running, what are your thoughts on this exercise.

Basically it is suicides but when you get to the point that you normally turn around you would run backwards to the starting point and then go to the next turnaround point.

I noticed that since I've been doing this I get a lot more of a quadricep workout.

Sounds like a good idea, but take the backwards part pretty easy- just jog. Walking backwards up a hill stretches your legs out in a good way and I've seen people do hill repeats by running hard up and then walking backwards back down- I think that one saves your knees.

A treadmill is running or walking. Hence it is cardio and NONE of your leg workout :P

No shit. :lol:

In any case, treadmills are just fucking fine for getting a cardio workout, especially for those of us who frequently can't exercise outside without risking a life-threatening asthma attack.

Try repeat 200s at between 30-33 sec then tell me it's not a leg workout the next day. :P

I don't know what that means. I'm not a 'runner.' But I've run through sand and swamp and mountain with pack and boots and weapon and my legs don't get sore from running. They get sore from squats. You might only think they get sore from running because you've never done squats.

Do a real leg workout and then tell me you ever felt that way from running. :D

I don't know what that means. I'm not a 'runner.' But I've run through sand and swamp and mountain with pack and boots and weapon and my legs don't get sore from running. They get sore from squats. You might only think they get sore from running because you've never done squats.

Do a real leg workout and then tell me you ever felt that way from running. :D

It means half a lap on a track in 30-33 seconds. Generally we do 3 sets of 4 with 30 seconds break in a set and a lap jog (~2 min) between sets. Done squats and I can tell you the soreness the next day is comparable and the legs are much "deader" after the 200s.

It means half a lap on a track in 30-33 seconds. Generally we do 3 sets of 4 with 30 seconds break in a set and a lap jog (~2 min) between sets. Done squats and I can tell you the soreness the next day is comparable and the legs are much "deader" after the 200s.

No idea what is worse / better, whatever, but having done squats last week immediately after which I ran 3.5km (outside) - legs felt like concrete the day after. It was awesome.

Archived