Aussies XLVII

Paxter

Just another Aussies thread...

ETA: To ensure that the first post tradition is alive and well...a contribution of my own

Best Aussie song bar none

Girls on the avenue, they're trying to get you in,

Strolling by with their rosebud smiles,

They're all dressed up to kill, lean on the windowsill,

Looking your way with eyes of fire;

But don't you slip - don't you slip

In love with the girls on the avenue;

Friday night see the girls on the avenue,

Like a child at big store windows you feel confused

So many girls on the avenue.

Out of deference to habit, and just one post too late (Pax is forgiven on account of nOObness):

Cold Chisel and The Angels have had a fair run, so here is the first verse of a classic that probably would have been No 1 in its day:

There was movement at the station, for the word had passed around

That the colt from old Regret had got away,

And had joined the wild bush horses -- he was worth a thousand pound,

So all the cracks had gathered to the fray.

All the tried and noted riders from the stations near and far

Had mustered at the homestead overnight,

For the bushmen love hard riding where the wild bush horses are,

And the stock-horse snuffs the battle with delight.

John Howard must be spitting out his tea in disgust at the comments of his successor as Australia’s prime minister, Kevin Rudd. Howard is the ultimate cricket tragic and his green-and-gold tracksuit will no doubt be his outfit of choice during the upcoming Ashes series.

While Rudd is also a cricket fan, he this week teetered dangerously on the edge of being labelled un-Australian – one of Howard’s favourite terms – when asked in a radio interview who was his favourite athlete. Rudd surely would say Don Bradman … surely. Or at least an Australian icon from another sport.

But this was Rudd’s response: “I can't go past Garry Sobers. There you go." Rudd cited Sobers’ unbeaten 254 for the Rest of the World at the MCG and his six sixes in an over of county cricket. “I thought, this guy has got the gift, the gift of the gods about him," Rudd said. "So there you go, he's not an Australian. Garry Sobers."

It's almost grounds for impeachment. At least Rudd knows he’ll always be welcome in Barbados.

A man after my own heart :P

At least I know who to vote for at the next election ;)

23 and a half hours to go, and I will have finished my last exam too. Can't wait till it's done.

I have to say, Australian politics has gotten extremely boring since the last election. Not sure if that has something to do with my party now being in power instead of the opposition, but I didn't care about 'Utegate' in the slightest. And don't get me started on people adding '-gate' to the end of something scandalous and thinking they're the epitome of genius :P

I have to say, Australian politics has gotten extremely boring since the last election. Not sure if that has something to do with my party now being in power instead of the opposition, but I didn't care about 'Utegate' in the slightest. And don't get me started on people adding '-gate' to the end of something scandalous and thinking they're the epitome of genius :P

If it had been John Howard I'd have been frothing at the mouth, but like you I really didn't care. My mum actually called the e-mail a hoax right off the bat so that might have been a factor.

Anyone see the Rove interview with the PM?

Oh so painful. like nails on a chalk board..for me anyway.

I have to admit I was a little disappointed K Rudd did a Rove interview.

I respected John Howard for always refusing interviews with shows that were for entertainment/comedy. I've heard a few people say that Mr Howard's refusal to connect with the youth demographic is what lost him his election. Ah, I thought that was work choices.

Also he was in his 60's, yes? how many people in their 60's still understand youth?

PM Rudd on Rove was a kin to a dad wearing baggy pants and saying 'yo yo yo' a lot to impress his 13yr old son. = Son being embarrassed.

Nothing wrong with it. But I thinks Dads are better off in dad role and Political leaders are better off getting on with the rather tricky task of running a country.

About 10 days to go (give or take) and I'm off to have a baby. The final count down.

Found out I had gestational diabetes at around 26 weeks. So I had to drastically alter my diet for no sugar and very very low carbs. and still have to check my blood sugar levels 4 times a day and inject insulin twice a day. So for me it's not just 10 days til we add to our little family. But also 10 days until I don't have to deal with needles ( and if you knew how horrible I am with needles you'd understand the scope of this forth coming joy fully) and 10 days until I can (with in reason of course) eat cake! yay! he he he.

Excited

Shout out to Brook. Hope all is well.

Saurian thats great news hope it all goes well for you. I am sure it will :)

boy or girl?

and only 10 days till you can drink etc also :)

You are right it was worknochioces that got Howard the boot. When a politician starts attacking those who elected him then he tends to disapear pretty quick.

Things are improving here also, my unwanted house guest has gone and I am getting lots of work, also I am almost over the flu :)

My computer is working again :)

I keep getting money coming in from unexpected places, for example $50 extra from an ATM and then somehow another $40 in my wallet, people repaying loans I have made etc, So yes things are looking up.

Ohh and I got two sterling silver goblets for $20 in a green velvet case :)

Saurian thats great news hope it all goes well for you. I am sure it will :)

boy or girl?

and only 10 days till you can drink etc also :)

Thank you :) A boy.

I have a confession. I haven't had a drink in..8 or so years

Things are improving here also, my unwanted house guest has gone and I am getting lots of work, also I am almost over the flu :)

My computer is working again :)

I keep getting money coming in from unexpected places, for example $50 extra from an ATM and then somehow another $40 in my wallet, people repaying loans I have made etc, So yes things are looking up.

Ohh and I got two sterling silver goblets for $20 in a green velvet case :)

and grats to you..finally things getting a little easier..hope it keeps up

More from the Office of Information Suppression

(Otherwise known as Stephen Conroy's Office)

Seriously, now, if Labor cannot rein in this tool, they will not win again. If I wanted to have censorship from the conservative religious right in Australia, I would have voted Liberal at the last election. Does anyone know how the anti-filter campaign is going?

Bump. Anyone else watching the Ashes late at night? The English managed to pull a draw out in that match. I can envision more than a few sleep-deprived nights ahead in the next month.

Haven't really heard about the filter stuff...but I'm still assuming it will be shot down at some point along the road.

Just for Paxter, in case he doesn't know already. :P

Last week Adelaide defeated Fremantle 19.16(130) to 1.7(13).

How does Fremantle's score place in the AFL history books?

94th greatest point margin in history.

59th lowest score in history.

4th lowest score since 1916.

Lowest score since 1961, when Richmond scored 0.8(8) to St Kilda's 12.19(91)

95th team in history to score only 1 goal during a match.

11th team to score only 1 goal since World War II finished.

First team to score 1 goal since 1991, when Carlton were defeated by Footscray 8.9(57) to 1.10(11)

Finally, there have only been 3 instances of a team scoring less than Fremantle's 1.7(13) and losing by over 100 points:

In 1899 Geelong 16.23(119) defeated St Kilda 0.2(2). Later that season St Kilda lost again to Geelong 23.24(162) to 0.1(1)!

In 1902 Collingwood scored 19.13(127), defeating St Kilda who scored just 1.4(10).

Don't know why I stopped caring about WA teams Stubbs. Down right unpatriotic of me. I know there's wankers in every team, but the eagles gave kerr to many chances as well as cousins and the dockers still hold onto the carr brothers and mcmanus.

Any other Canberrans. I know there are a couple. DENDY CINEMA STAFF ARE FUCKED. Try and ask them if they know when tickets will go on sale and be prepared to be dissapointed with the different number of answers you get.

Any other Canberrans. I know there are a couple. DENDY CINEMA STAFF ARE FUCKED. Try and ask them if they know when tickets will go on sale and be prepared to be dissapointed with the different number of answers you get.

You a Canberran OLP? I'm from Belco here and I work in Civic. As for Dendy, I haven't gone to the movies for ages. Shouldn't listings be on their website?

I just broke up with my girlfriend (as stated on the last page of the last Aussies thread) and I'm in between places right now. Trying to find single accommodation in the Canberra market.

Yes the listings are on their website. You want to know when they will be advertised so you're the first in. They don't even know which Tuesday the sessions will come up on.

Well, uni results have come through, and it was a bit of a mixed bag: 3 grades in the mid 70s for Admin Law, Corporations Law and Unjust Enrichment but two mid 60s for Income Tax and Remedies. First time I've had grades in the 60-69% region since 2005, so that was pretty disappointing. But it wasn't that surprising given that I am now working two jobs and am suffering from a bit of lack of motivation (4 and half years at uni has worn me out...). 100% exam for Income Tax didn't help either.

Just finished a two-week stint at KPMG (an accounting firm) for the winter vacation. Wasn't too bad, but I'm not sure if I see myself as a career auditor. Not the worst position to start off with though. As for banking applications, Credit Suisse and UBS rejected my application at the outset, and it seems I didn't impress Citi on the phone interview as I haven't heard back from them. Still a chance with JP Morgan, Deutsche, Goldman and Morgan Stanley but I'm not holding my breath. Looks like I better start applying for other (non-banking) positions for this summer...

Anyway, uni starts tomorrow so it's back to the grind.

Hope all is well for everyone.

@Saurian: congratulations in advance!

Also: it seems the ABC ran out of patience. Chaser's last episode is coming up soon. Can't say I'm surprised. I did enjoy

in the last episode though.

BTW Stubby...thanks for rubbing it in last week. Luckily the Ashes is going rather better from my point of view ;)

Well, Citi, JP Morgan, Deutsche and Morgan Stanley are off the radar, but I have managed to secure a second-round interview at Goldman Sachs which is nice. If nothing else, it is a free trip to Sydney, so I am certainly not complaining. Leaving tomorrow morning at 5:45 am and then back in Perth on Saturday afternoon.

Anyway, hope everyone is well. It's been quiet around here lately...you guys still depressed about the Lord's test?

Archived