Aussies XLVII

Paxter

Unfortunately, I wasn't offered an internship at Goldmans, but it was pleasing to at least make the final round of interviews. With the Sydney investment banks now out of the picture, I suppose I will have to try at one of the smaller boutique banks based here in Perth if I still want vacation work this Summer. TBH, I'm still pretty undecided about what I should do career-wise and graduation is now only 18 months away. I have a lot of thinking to do.

Other than that, not much to report from my end. What's going on with the rest of the Aussie contingent? Surely you aren't too depressed about the Ashes? I mean, fair crack of the whip, there's still three tests to go! :P

As an aside, good to see the Dockers maintaining their winning streak over the Eagles. The record is now 18-12 in favour of the Eagles in 30 Western Derbies. In three seasons we will square the ledger ;).

18 months is still a good length of time, Pax. See what you can find in Perth internship-wise, and then go from there. Career-wise I've been making it all up by ear; I did a science degree, and had no idea what I was going to do with only 6 months left to go, and then decided on teaching. Did the teaching degree for 1.5 years, worked at lots of different schools for the remaining 6 months of the year, and then landed a full-time position.

I'm not entirely sure that I'd want to teach as a career for the rest of my life, but for the next few years definitely; I'm enjoying the job and it doesn't really feel like 'work'. Half a dozen years or so down the track I might do a PhD in maths and join the academia club, but I've never been much of a career planner so we'll see how things go.

Anyway, I suppose in your line of work you'll want to set up internships and all, but things can always throw spanners in the works (eg serious girlfriends, current family issues, job market) so I wouldn't worry too much about not having a big plan yet. Keep a couple up your sleeve and see how it all pans out. What would you do if you stayed in Perth the next few years? Where would you want to move to if you did move? Etc.

Let's change from AFL to NRL to AFL to Gridiron to ice hockey to irish hurling to quitdich.

Paxter,

Stay in Perth just for a year or so, I wish I'd been able to work in Perth just for a year after finishing uni, instead I came straight to Canberra and have never had anytime with my family. May still get back there.

I think Kyle Sandilands is a dickhead but he was caught of guard with the rape allegation. He and the show were stupid though to do such a dangerous segment and they got what they deserved for being stupid.

Some comment hit the nail on the head,

'2DAY should never have put a child in a position where she was put on the spot about sexual activity. 2DAY should have been questioning the child's mother about why she would do this to her child, not gleefully participating in this child's public humiliation.

You'll note Sandilands apology didn't include regret for his and the program staff's incredibly poor judgment. This is because the only consideration in setting up the skit was getting ratings out of an outraged listenership. There's no such thing as bad publicity, only publicity.'

Its not like the whole mess could not have been predicted. 14 year old acting out sexually turns out to have been a victim of rape/abuse? It would be more surprising if that wasn't the case.

Its hard to believe in all the setting up that segment would have taken nobody at all stopped to think that maybe what they were doing was not only cruel but incredibly stupid.

My computer blew up a month ago so I've not been around all that much lately. Hope everyone is well, congrats to Saurian if that bub is here by now...and lots of sympathy if he isn't!!

Saurian

hope all goes well

I assme the silence is because your to busy to post

OLP

my sympathy//Breakups mus tbe contagious

Paxter

hope the job goes well

and GS-I'm happy to see things are going wellbfor you

Paxter

hope the job goes well

and GS-I'm happy to see things are going wellbfor you

Thanks sh_wulff, but unfortunately Goldman Sachs knocked me back, so it looks like I won't be leaving Perth for some time yet.

Speaking of GS, anyone know where he's at? It's been at least a month since he last appeared in chat.

Canberra Raiders - 56

Brisbane Broncos - 0

I'm not a Raiders supporter, but I think this is close to one of the happiest moments in Australian sporting history. It just brings tears to my eyes, in the good way. Hopefully this might indicate a changing of the guard in Rugby League.

Archived