RIP EHK

EHK for Darwin

War EHK. I loved to talk boxing with him yet, for an old-school boxing guy, he was as open to the new-school of MMA as anyone.

He was the voice of reason on the political forums and respected by just about everyone here. We may never have met in person but I feel that I've known him for years.

You'll always be our friend, and you'll be missed.

My condolenses to his family.

Yes. I think, if Ro is in contact with the family, maybe we should channel communications through her? I don't know if a bunch of left-wing atheists who admired EHK for his profane rants sending emails or commenting en masse to the obit would be all that comforting to his family.

Well then, maybe some of our more eloquent boarders could summarize all thoughts and feelings of our loss in our own eulogy of sorts so to speak and we could all "sign" it to show just how many lives he touched here.

Well then, maybe some of our more eloquent boarders could summarize all thoughts and feelings of our loss in our own eulogy of sorts so to speak and we could all "sign" it to show just how many lives he touched here.

This. I think we owe it to EHK, his family, and the board.

:(

like others have said, there isn't anything i can add. i loved reading his posts. he seemed to possess a superhuman intelligence and an uncanny knack for expressing it. i used to have this friend who could say anything at anytime and i remember thinking to myself a million times that most of us would be lynched for saying things the way he said them. EHK was like that. profane eloquence is what i will remember him for. he had it in spades.

RIP, EHK.

This would be a great idea.

Bertrand Russell once said "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts."

Bertrand Russell never met EHK.

When you agreed with him on an issue, it was like having a nuclear arsenal at your disposal. When you disagreed with him, you'd best be damn sure you had your facts straight and were prepared to dig in. What stood out was not that he would rant and rave, but that beneath the "fucks" and "shits" and "cocksuckers" was always such intelligence! I don't know that I've ever encountered such an aggressive mix of passion, eloquence, and intellect anywhere else, online or otherwise.

I am stunned beyond description. He will be sorely, sorely missed.

Yes. I think, if Ro is in contact with the family, maybe we should channel communications through her? I don't know if a bunch of left-wing atheists who admired EHK for his profane rants sending emails or commenting en masse to the obit would be all that comforting to his family.

I fully agree with this. Please, whatever you guys post off of this board, be mindful of how his family will take things.

EHK! EHK! We hardly knew you. How could we have, you were always changing, always learning, and always sharing the process. You were infuriating and brilliant - sometimes infuriating BECAUSE you were brilliant, and we didn't agree.

What you weren't was boring, ever. So everything here is a little less colorful without you. It's wrong to even write this, terrible to have to. I never wanted to, and feel cheated of years of amusement, outrage, above all - the deep thought you relentlessly provoked.

This is tragic, and wrong.

I admit, having just yesterday read something on "pseuicide", I held out hope that this was untrue, even if it seemed utterly unlike EHK. But finding his obituary was sobering. I'm very sorry for your loss. My condolences to you and your family, as well as to Tom's friends.

What to say about Tom that hasn't already been said? I don't know. He could be an ornery, opinionated cuss and sometimes he got in trouble for it, and other times he just seemed to be saying the things some of us would like to have said but were restrained from it by vague notions of social nicety. He was not a mean-spirited person, at least from what I saw on the forum and from meeting him in Glasgow. He seemed like the sort of man who lived life to the fullest, who drank it in to the lees.

If I drank, I'd get a nice microbrew and lift one up in memory. Maybe someone else can do that.

Rest in peace, EHK.

So this is the news I get to find out upon logging in today? I am floored shock. His absence will take me a while to process.

Something like....

You knew him as son, brother, nephew, cousin. Tom. We knew him as EHK, recognized not by face, but by a Ronald Reagan avatar. In a time where the internet has truly made the world a smaller place, we knew him. He was a force of nature, a supreme ranter, and someone who commanded our respect.

We may not have seen eye to eye with him on everything, but when he posted, we listened. We laughed, we shook our heads, we typed out responses only to second guess ourselves, we debated; most importantly, we remember.

Such a bright flame shall never burn out completely. He has touched us all in profound ways, and our lives will never be the same. We are grateful for getting to know him, and we will never forget.

We are truly sorry for your loss. Please know, as a community (albeit a virtual one), we are now, and will forever feel the gaping chasm that he has left.

Rest peacefully, Tom. We love you.

What people from the board have posted in the guest book so far is in good taste and thoughtful. I certainly wouldn't have dreamed of putting anything there that I didn't consider very carefully to be appropriate and considerate.

If I had to pick a handful of people who define this place, EHK would be included. I don’t think I ever interacted with him, but I enjoyed his posts so much. When he took a stance I agreed with, sometimes I’d find myself wanting to applaud because he was drilling his points home so fucking hard.

Rest well, sir. I’ll miss you.

Thanks, guys. If anyone wants to clip it and use it, please do. If you want to edit it, go ahead.

I'd email Chris myself, if I have to...just let me know.

I don't want to bombard the family with emails, you know what I mean?

Dammit this sucks.

fucking fuck.

:(

He was the smartest guy on the transformers board, and fuck me but I'll miss him here. :(

Not to diminish his memory, but he said that he was voted the 3rd smartest. The first was the moderator and the veteran with the most posts or something like that was second.

Does anyone recall what EHK stands for?

Enlightenment...

I posted a message on the guestbook linked from the obituary and I was contacted by a friend of Tom's who was curious to know what it stands for.

All I can recall is that he used to go by EnlightenmentHK.

Please forgive, but I may PM some people who might know in addition to this posting.

Thanks,

Being that I am a liberal Chicagoan and an avid White Sox fan I was naturally drawn to EHK in the MLB threads, as his opinion in those matters not only echoed my own but he served as such a sensible but passionately heated voice of his viewpoints that I almost felt ridiculous just stating "I agree, I agree, I AGREE" with each and every one of his political, movie, religious and of course baseball posts. Few people in this world have astounded me with their wit, sensibility and verbosity so regularly. It truly speaks volumes for the person behind the screen name to have such an impact on so many that never even knew his real name.

I'm truly sorry for his family and friends...I can only imagine the gaping hole that he will leave in their lives if the sentiments on this board are any indication at all.

Archived