RIP EHK

EHK for Darwin

Pretty much. All I have managed so far is a single post, made nearly immediately upon discovering what had gone down, consisting of some profanity and a few poor, shock-induced lines, not conveying much of anything, other than a meagre, at that time, capacity to express my feelings.

I still can't. Not really anyway. Not anything that wouldn't fall flat.

Though I did remember something the other day that I hadn't thought of in ages - about 5 years ago a bunch of joined the Bootleggers game. I will never forget EHK's posts on that forum. In what was a very competitive game, with as many factions as one can imagine, he simply strode in, bold as brass, with a binary swagger from here to Tokyo and straight up put forth that we'd be taking the place over. Not only that, but he perfected his alias, a true to form Italian mob archetype in an unbelievable manner. We went on to sweep the place clean in spectacular manner.

And thanks for all your efforts, Sarah, much appreciated.

I just posted EHK's Bootlegger's "Goodbye" rant in the favorite EHK quotes thread, I had saved it all these years.

Damn Mya, thanks so much for putting all that together. Clearly took some effort.

The initial shock has worn off for me. Tonight I booze, and listen to some sad bluegrass songs, cause thats how I deal, and they always give me the sense that the person knows I'm thinking about them.

That's a very thoughtful and eloquent blog post. Thanks for sharing it.

I have been struggling with a way to properly express myself about the whole affair, particularly how it seems like such an odd parallel and counterpoint to the endless pointless coverage of Michael Jackson. Every time I passed a TV that had yet more inane coverage of something relating to MJ's memorial service I wanted to yell at it and say "Don't you people know that EHK/Tom is dead? And that he's important? Don't you people understand what real brilliance and eloquence was?" And of course they don't. And of course it's pointless.

I felt like this as well, and I could not bring myself to watch that ceremony. Aside from this, even if it's not fair, my feelings for Sarah Palin are on an unprecedented low.

Lugajet's blog pots hits the nail on the head for me. And for many others as well it seems.

It's amazing to see how many people have not just replied, but replied with what is clear and obvious deep regret and shock.

I've thought about EHK's death every day sofar. Even during dinner last night with my gf the subject came up. He was something special. Really one of the pillars of our community and probably the most fun to read poster we had. I thought the guy would be here for decades to come. I suppose he thought so as well.

It's hard to shake the image of his family finding him dead and his browser still being on this website.

I've been away at a conference all week. Flew in late last night, preoccuppied with numerous career and personal issues. opened the board to see what was new, and all of a sudden I couldn't think about myself anymore. I was too busy crying over some asshole on the internet I'd never even met.

Fuck you.

Your name was Tom Wilcox. Why did you have to leave so soon?!! It is not better to burn out than to fade away. It is so very wrong.

I was just reading the current thread on the Fox news racist host, waiting for you to show up. Where are you EHK? We need you. How can you leave us like this?

They made me moderator a few months ago, and I have to tell you I was waiting for the opportunity to suspend you. You once thought I'd deleted your posts, but it wasn't me. My chance never came. Perhaps I was too entertained, or perhaps, deep down, I knew that you were always pretty much right on.

I'm sorry I never got a chance to meet you and get to know you in person. You were at the top of my list. Next time I come by Chicago, I know I'll think of sending you a PM, and cry a little again.

It's sobering to see your pictures posted upthread. You look like an average American, just the boy-next-door. And I know you were someone extraordinary, and I'm thankful that I got to interact with you, even if only on the internet, even if only indirectly.

I'm agnostic and I don't know where you are now, but I know that you have already left your imprint on that place, and Whoever let you in is already wondering what They've gotten themselves into.

I can't believe this news. I'm so damn *sad* about someone I never met. I came back from a vacation looking forward to reading EHK's posts on Sarah Palin, and instead I'm still trying to process that I will never get to read another of his brilliant rants. I echo the sentiments expressed over and over in this thread. EHK's fearless passion truly had an impact on hundreds if not thousands of people. And that is no small accomplishment. He is missed. And now I am crying.

snowleo

This saddens me although I never met or discussed anything with this guy. I would have loved to debated with him or even discuss philosophy and even politics with him.

I'm trully sorry. :cry:

After my first week here, I can only hope that EHK made it to Austria at some point, one of the few places on earth with an utterly relaxed attitude toward smoking. It's been only a year since smokers were exiled from (most) public areas of the hospitals, but special enclosed lounges remain on the OR floors, so that the fragrant smell of tobacco reliably wafts down the hallway beside the OR suites.

Somehow it's seemed comforting as well as heartbreaking being able to read this thread and people's thoughts, tales and memories. It was also nice to be reminded by photographs.

Some random pictures of EHK from Glasgow:

Blurry, I know

Next to George

Knight of the Haggis

I like the blurry one.

Thanks too to Mormont for sharing photos.

Just in case any little helps, I have two (even worse) pictures from Glasgow, featuring EHK looking serious (in middle with cup), then laughing.

Mya - thank you so much for organising stuff. I'll keep an eye on this thread to see if there's anything I can do.

:grouphug: to the people still hearing this news for the first time, and to AE for her double loss of EHK/Tom. :(

I'm at a loss for words. Just coming back from holidays, and this? :(

Even if it's just a forum on internet, and I never really knew the man, I will miss him, and his passing saddens me more than I would have imagined.

He won't be forgotten. I'm deeply sorry for his loved ones.

His posts were always interesting, whether I agreed with them or not. The very first time I turned on the radio after I heard of his passing (sports talk radio station) they were talking about the smoking bans around my area in Michigan, and I could just see his veins throbbing as he banged out a furious rant in his inimitable style.

RIP Man

A grievous tragedy for the family, a stunning loss for the board, and a great shock for myself...the loss of potentially many years of interaction with him I and others here could have had if he still lived, may not be ranked with the heartache those closest to him feel, but I judge it a significant loss nonetheless. I always enjoyed times post-sparring with him.

Rest in peace, EHK.

Archived