RIP EHK

EHK for Darwin

More and more since EHK died, I've realized that I keep on looking for his posts in various threads... and there is silence.

Crystal, thank you for giving us the news. Our loss is little compared to yours.

I haven't been around for ages but was shocked and saddened to learn of EHK's death and wanted to give my condolences to his family and all of you here. I felt like I watched him grow up in front of my eyes. I remember him way back when talking about his first lusts and loves, his right wing politics, and how he always argued against his wildly feminist older sister.

Something changed, however, when Christina died. He was the one to give the eulogy for her, and he posted it here. It was eloquent, loving, and heart breaking. And while he continued to give a good rant, he seemed to grow up in that moment, and even on occasion to take views that his sister might have supported. How incredibly sad that we will not see more of his developments.

Shit, and now I'm all choked up again. Every time I see the RIP EHK thread title, part of me is still wondering if it's all some horrible joke and maybe next week everything will be back to normal. :(

Crystal, thanks ever so much for letting us know. It's good to think that in some small way we can help Tom's family get through this.

And MG, great job on the site.

Not a day has gone by since it happened that I've come here and didn't think about EHK. You're truly missed my man. I wonder where he is, if perhaps he does live on somewhere, somehow. But he would tell me to perish the thought I suspect. I suppose if he would let us know if he could.

Crystal,

Thanks for letting us know. Hopefully time will be the great healer and make the wound less raw for you and the rest of the family.

Crystal,

I wanted to let you know how deep my condolences are to you and your family.

I know words are just that, words, but that is all most of us ever shared with your brother, and I hope you see by the magnitude of this thread the amount of love just words allowed us to share over the years with him.

I am so sorry that you have had to endure yet another loss of a loved one, and I hope that time helps heal just a little of the hole that you must feel right now.

If you need anything, please don't hesitate to shoot me a message (there's a PM function on this board) or email (Chris has it if you'd like it).

I thank you with all of my heart for letting us know what happened to Tom, as this gives us a sense of...finality, if not closure, because not a day goes by that we don't look for him to start posting again, ranting about smoking, or politics, or the second Transformers movie.

-Sarah

I have started a new topic for this so that the RIP EHK thread does not get cluttered up with more discussion about the site - the site which is now online!

www.enlightenmenthk.net

The site is fully operational but it is a long way from finished. You will notice that the main thing you will visit the site for - the posts - are not there yet. Only the EHK for US Politics page has any topics listed for it, and two of those are just test pages to demonstrate how things will work. There is one topic page with a couple of real EHK posts on it and that is the Sarah Palin thread and even that has a couple of posts that I put on there for testing.

There are a total of 12 random EHK Quick Quotes on the site. These are intended to link to the post that the quote originally came from. Since most of these are not yet on the site the ones that are not available will link to the home page. 5 of the quotes do link to the right place. As the site expands I will add more quick quotes.

So what I need you guys to do is visit the site, see what you think and let me know if you find things are not displaying correctly, features that are broken or if you have an idea for something new to add to the site. If everything is OK then I will start working through the EHK posts I have saved here and uploading new content.

If you have a comment about the site then you can either post about it in this thread or use the contact MG form on the site.

I have tested the site in all the browsers I have (Firefox 3, IE8, Opera, Safari for Windows, Google Chrome) on my Vista PC. All the pages have valid XHTML and CSS with the exception of URLs which point to posts on this forum. So if you have some obscure browser that nobody else has ever heard of it would be useful if you could test out the site in it. I would especially like users who have UNIX based or Apple PCs to check out the site and let me know if it is OK.

Right now there is no support for cellphone/mobile phone users, but if you can try it out on your iPhone or Blackberry to see how bad it looks. I have never coded for that environment so if there is anyone reading this who knows how to write CSS for this type of media then I could really use your help to get the site displaying nicely.

If people discover display errors then please wait an hour or so to see if it gets corrected, I may be working on the site at the same time you are looking at it. If the error persists please take a screenshot if you can and send it to me together with details of the type of PC and the browser you are using. Again you can either post that in this thread or use the contact MG form, although that won't accept attachments. Feel free to try my email address [email protected]. Please don't PM me though because my mailbox is already very full.

You might be wondering if there is anything you can do to help. Well, if you have a basic understanding of HTML coding then yes you could help me to add new content to this site at a much faster rate. If you have some time to spare and would like to code up new topics and posts to be included on this website then please contact me for details.

Enjoy the site. I'd like to think EHK would approve.

It renders just fine in Safari on a mac, and ok, but a little off in Firefox on a mac. The rows of pictures/links don't fill out (the second row doesn't have an entry on the far right, and so there's a stray picture on a fourth row).

But it does, as everyone has said, look awesome in general :) Thank you so much for getting this put together.

That rant on Sarah Palin was amusing. I hate Barack Obama, but noone can deny he's possibly one of the greatest speakers leading a country, and definitely the most friendly-on-TV president since Reagan.

I don't post at the board very often, but I talked with EHK in chat a few times. Normally arguing with him about smoking bans (which I support and he - surprise - didn't....). It's very sad that he will never come to chat again. Such an intelligent and eloquent boarder. Rest in peace, EHK.

Thanks everyone.

It renders just fine in Safari on a mac, and ok, but a little off in Firefox on a mac. The rows of pictures/links don't fill out (the second row doesn't have an entry on the far right, and so there's a stray picture on a fourth row).

That should be fixable with a little conditional Javascript and a special CSS which adjusts the margins between the boxes. IE8 had similar problems but there is a much easier stylesheet fix for that situation. Might have a look at that problem tomorrow, thanks.

Not sure if it's possible, but the dates of the posts ought to reflect the date of the original post.

The dates and times are set to US Central time so they match when EHK actually made the post at his local time. I did not want to get into having people set their own time and adjusting everything like you can on this forum. That is far more complicated than you might believe. I will add this point to the FAQ page because that is quite useful to know. Thanks Iceman.

UPDATE:

Fixed category box positioning problem. This was actually nothing to do with the margins between the boxes, the title text for category 6 "EHK for Cigs & Alcohol" was just a little too wide forcing the boxes out of alignment meaning the last box did not fit on the second row. Some browsers just display text a little bigger than others so while it was OK in my browser it was just too big for others. It seems this problem was affecting a whole bunch of browsers so rather than a fix for just Mac OS Firefox I have reduced the font-size from 90% to 88% for everyone. After checking this on browsershots.com it appears fine, but if you could check it again Elrostar and confirm I would appreciate that.

FAQ page. Updated with two new questions.

Archived