The Stupid Question Thread

ztemhead

Why is zero important, aside from holding up other numbers? and why do I get an error on my calculator when trying to divide zero by zero?

It seems to me that if something does not exist in any quantity then it should be ignored, otherwise by not ignoring it, it does exist, but not quite as percieved. and can you really have multiple items which do not exist, and why can't I just use 1 to represent the whole of nothing that isn't actually there?

If you want to think of it logically you can think of it like this.

1/0 = x

x*0 = 1

so what quantity x makes the second equation work? Nothing. Thats an easy way to think about it without getting into longer mathematical proofs.

I've only just finished first year.

But that was just simple algebra that you would have learned for O level maths. It just looked complicated when typed out.

Anyway, I hope you are enjoying it so far. First year has the most boring stuff as they get everyone grounded (epsilon-fucking-delta proofs being a good example) but it gets more fun from then on.

Which direction are you considering in maths?

But that was just simple algebra that you would have learned for O level maths. It just looked complicated when typed out.

Anyway, I hope you are enjoying it so far. First year has the most boring stuff as they get everyone grounded (epsilon-fucking-delta proofs being a good example) but it gets more fun from then on.

Which direction are you considering in maths?

I have no idea where I'll take Maths, I'll just see what happens.

I had a few, but the only one I remember at the moment is, what's the deal with the superman symbol cropping up everywhere? Lately I see it tattooed on arms, on the back of people's trailer hitches, big decals on windows- it's all over the place. Does it denote anything other than a quirky fashion trend? Are there a few thousand sons of Jor-el running around Phoenix?

:lol:

Mr. MLA came home a couple weeks ago with the superman symbol tattoo on his back. That was unexpected. I can't help but laugh when I see it. Silly man. Course he says he is a superman, plus our last name starts with "S"....

:lol:

Mr. MLA came home a couple weeks ago with the superman symbol tattoo on his back. That was unexpected. I can't help but laugh when I see it. Silly man. Course he says he is a superman, plus our last name starts with "S"....

see, I was thinking it was some weird cult that these guys belonged to, like the promise keepers or branch Davidians or something. Good to know it's just this decade's piano key necktie.

My stupid question (possibly my second): why are so many people willing to use vacation time and travel to cons? What's the big attraction compared to sitting on a beach somewhere for your vacation?

(I realize this might seem heretical around here at the moment, but I'm genuinely curious)

Well, for me I'm only using 6 of my 15 vacation days, and this year's con is only a 1 and 1/2 hour flight away. Plus, we have friends in Montreal, I've never been there, and I've never been to a con. Three birds, one stone kind of dealie. Plus, I live in a province almost completely surrounded by the ocean and with tons of clean lakes. I can hit the beach anytime* :P

My question, why do women wear insanely high heels that they can't walk in? It probably looks hot, until you try to walk. It gets quite hilarious on campus watching people wobble by**.

*Well, for a few months of the year anyway.

** I only thought of this question, because I was just outside having a smoke and laughing at a group of about a half dozen girls practically clinging to each other to walk down the sidewalk.

Well, for me I'm only using 6 of my 15 vacation days, and this year's con is only a 1 and 1/2 hour flight away. Plus, we have friends in Montreal, I've never been there, and I've never been to a con. Three birds, one stone kind of dealie. Plus, I live in a province almost completely surrounded by the ocean and with tons of clean lakes. I can hit the beach anytime* :P

My question, why do women wear insanely high heels that they can't walk in? It probably looks hot, until you try to walk. It gets quite hilarious on campus watching people wobble by**.

*Well, for a few months of the year anyway.

** I only thought of this question, because I was just outside having a smoke and laughing at a group of about a half dozen girls practically clinging to each other to walk down the sidewalk.

Right. I hate that! I especially hate the flip-flop ones. Some are considered 'strappy sandals'. Whatever. They make that flip-flop 'slap' sound.

Heels aren't good for your calves or thighs to begin with! Not to mention you need good glute and ab control to wear them without looking like an idiot.

Most of the chicks I see wearing these improperly tend to be trend surfers. Right now, it's trendy to wear them for *every* occasion.

Here is my 'stupid' question, and keep in mind I am not a smoker.

Why are we taxing the holy-hell out of tabacco products and not alcohol? From what I can tell, it's a bigger hazzard than tabacco products (drunk driving, to be more specific) and more people drink than smoke.

I think that Mr X answered the con question pretty well already.

My question, why do women wear insanely high heels that they can't walk in? It probably looks hot, until you try to walk. It gets quite hilarious on campus watching people wobble by.
Good one. I enjoy watching women who can't walk in stilettos TRY to walk in stilettos. I'm fascinated by the way that one or both of their ankles seems to snap to the side each time they bring their foot down. It just looks so WRONG. I confess that occasionally, if it's really mobbed on the train or tube platform, I might give them a little nudge just to see if they'll do a full-on wobble. :devil:

My question is: why don't people take the labels off the bottom of their shoes before wearing them outside? I see this quite a lot and it looks stupid. Why do it?

Why are we taxing the holy-hell out of tabacco products and not alcohol? From what I can tell, it's a bigger hazzard than tabacco products (drunk driving, to be more specific) and more people drink than smoke.

In Canada they tax the holy-hell outta both.

Ok, here's a stupid question, and it's mostly directed for British posters, though anyone else with knowledge is welcome to answer.

In practical terms, what's the difference between Labour and LibDems? I know that both parties are to the left of the Tories. I think, though I don't know, that parties are basically sort of 'center-left' in general. So why the two different parties; wouldn't it be easier to unite to defeat the Tories? Is one 'more' left than the other? And, if so, which one? What signifigant policy or ideological differences exist between the two?

Certain nations have retained the Queen as Head of State after gaining independence from the British Empire. New Zealand, Australia and Canada are the only ones I know of that have done that, but there may be more.

There are a total of 16 Commonwealth realms, which are Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, the Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Canada, Grenada, Jamaica, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, St Kitts and Nevis, St Lucia, St Vincent and the Grenadines, the Solomon Islands, Tuvalu, and the United Kingdom. The Queen is also the head of state of the British overseas territories, which are those colonies which have not declared independence, such as Gibraltar, Bermuda and the Falklands.

If you want to think of it logically you can think of it like this.

1/0 = x

x*0 = 1

so what quantity x makes the second equation work? Nothing. Thats an easy way to think about it without getting into longer mathematical proofs.

I keep telling myself x = limes ∞

:leaving:

My silly question: Why didn the bees attacked my potato salad? There is nothing in it for them and my balcony is full of lavender.

As in all other English matters the secret is to ignore the successes and concentrate on the failures.

F is your failures, T your total so far and S your success rate (no percentages here for we shall have no truck with such suspicious continental innovations)

1- F/(T+X)=S +0.01

so (1 -S- 0.01) =F/(T+X)

multiply by (T+X)

F=(1-S-0.01)*(T+X)

but because you want that tricky X factor

divide by (1-S-0.01)

F/(1-S-0.01) =T +X

so flipping it round and taking T from both sides you get

X=F/(1-S-0.01) -T

so if you have played 300 games and won 150 you presently have a success rate of 0.5 but as dear Auntie Beeb insists on .51 for all senior management drones you have to win the next 6.122 games because:

X=150/(1-0.5-0.01)-300

X=150/(0.49)-300

X=306.122-300

X=6.122

Title amended :P

:|

Sometimes I like to eat paste.

Genuine question: if the evidence in favour of the benefit of bicycle helmets is really so incredibly weak and contradictory, then why are several organizations advocating it? Surely there can be no conspiracy involving a secret cabal controlling the WHO financed by the enormous riches of the bicycle helmet producing industrial complex?

Archived