Cricket VII

Paxter

I'm undecided about Johnson. I'm leaning towards dropping him, but his tremendous upside means that if he did turn it around, he could win us these Tests we need to get. The other thing is, if you drop him now, it will be hard for him to make it back for the rest of the series, considering Lee might be getting back in the Fourth Test. Right now it would be ideal if Lee could be swapped in for Johnson (they both fulfil opening bowler and no. 8 batsman roles) and Stuart Clark comes in for Siddle, but with Lee out still it looks more speculative.

The attack must have Hilfenhaus and Clark. Marcus North does not look at all like a wicket-taker as a spinner, although he's good at sucking up a few overs, so I think Hauritz might still be worth his place in the side. Siddle is good for roughing up guys but he's expensive. Johnson, well, we know about him. It would be a spectacular fall from grace if Johnson were to get dropped after a couple of ordinary Tests (and bad tour matches) but I don't know if we can afford to carry him, and he doesn't look like turning it around.

Interesting article on cricinfo about Flintoff being death to left-handers, but Michael Clarke has never gotten out to him in about 20 innings and Ponting has only been out three times in about as many too. Selectors, please do not read that and think of putting Shane Watson in for Marcus North.

I haven't read the rest of the thread and haven't been up on my cricket this season. But I was always a big fan of Johnson along with Stuart Clark, Australia just needs to stick with the one team for a bit regardless of win/lose.

Hughes dropped...Watson to (probably) open the batting...Stuart Clark not selected

(link)

:tantrum: :tantrum: :tantrum:

Dear Aussie selectors,

WHAT THE FUCKING FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU?

Sincerely yours,

- The people of Australia (except for Shane Watson)

Look, so they all piled into a broom closet with a tin of paint and slid the team sheet under the door after a few hours, I don't see what's so wrong about that as a decision-making process.

Shane Watson is an outstanding One Day opener and I'm confident he'll be able to replicate that form at Edgebaston.

Did I mention I was dropped on the head as a baby?

I can't believe they've done this. It's like they came and looked at what I said and did the opposite. Watson is a never has been.... get him out of there

That's not the worst decision. What baffles me is that they're persisting with both Hauritz and Johnson on a pitch that isn't going to do a damn thing for them. Now I can see the case for keeping Mitch, he's a potent weapon, he's not injured, he just needs to get his shit together. But keeping Hauritz in the squad over Stu Clark, it's Englandesque.

Is the weather that bad? i'm going to the second day with some friends. Will the test almost certainly be rained off? If so, i'm thinking we should try and sell the tickets.

The forecast is showers with sunny intervals. Which essentially means "fuck knows".

If it's completely rained off you'll get a refund anyway, right?

I can't help but feel that Hauritz being exposed at International level in an ASHES test series is definitely going to make the inevitable Shane Warne comparisons even more apparent. The fact is he is a spinner who does not achieve much turn or bounce on pitches that do or do not suit him. Average spinner and when compared to bowlers of Warne's calibre poor poor poor poor SHIT.

Johnson IN he's got to come good sometime. Consistency is key in the game of cricket. As witnessed by failed England and India test teams touring through Australia in recent times.

Archived