So what is this "Meereenese knot" Martin is referring to on his "not a blog"

Lord Stormborn

Oh.

I confess, I usually don't bother with untying knots. Once it gets so tangled that it takes me more than a minute or two to unravel it, I figure that God must have a reason for it to be that way. Certainly, when it starts fraying (that is, when loose bits of thread start coming off of it to get in my way), it's pretty safe to assume than it's part of the divine providence.

• 1 year later...

Except the story isn't about the Starks, it's about westeros as a whole. Some Stark happen to be heroes, but so do Lannisters and Targaryens.

For good cause, it is entirely speculation, though the idea of a Stark return is usually based on Jojen's "The wolves will return" (he means the Starks), and on the interpretation that the ex-title of the last book (a time for wolves) referred to the Starks.

Also, I love the repeated accounts of a big pack of wolves headed by a huge she-wolf roaming the wilderness and growing in number. Nymeria represents Arya and I think is a harbinger of the Stark family's resurgence. Whether it's actually Arya that returns as Lady of Winterfell or she somehow manages to unite her remaining siblings and Stark allies is yet to be seen.

Now, how Arya's story ties into the Meerenese knot ;P ... that is what I want to know.

Also, I love the repeated accounts of a big pack of wolves headed by a huge she-wolf roaming the wilderness and growing in number. Nymeria represents Arya and I think is a harbinger of the Stark family's resurgence. Whether it's actually Arya that returns as Lady of Winterfell or she somehow manages to unite her remaining siblings and Stark allies is yet to be seen.

Now, how Arya's story ties into the Meerenese knot ;P ... that is what I want to know.

I always find it funny when people try to think of Arya as a leader, and even more as a 'lady' of Winterfell.

If any of them are going to unite the others it'll be Jon or Sansa; one because he's actually a leader, the other because she's almost certainly going to learn the ways of politics.

Arya can't even lead herself adequately, save into danger and captivity (has any character in the series been captured more than Arya?).

As the Stark in Winterfell she'd be the most incompetent leader of all time. She's got no manners, no understanding of statecraft, no grip of politics, and no patience. If that's not a recipe for disaster when dealing with one's bannermen I don't know what is.

• 3 months later...

I always find it funny when people try to think of Arya as a leader, and even more as a 'lady' of Winterfell.

If any of them are going to unite the others it'll be Jon or Sansa; one because he's actually a leader, the other because she's almost certainly going to learn the ways of politics.

Arya can't even lead herself adequately, save into danger and captivity (has any character in the series been captured more than Arya?).

As the Stark in Winterfell she'd be the most incompetent leader of all time. She's got no manners, no understanding of statecraft, no grip of politics, and no patience. If that's not a recipe for disaster when dealing with one's bannermen I don't know what is.

Read only until the third book, but it seems that Arya has more direction for the warrior side. She can even become a man without a face. However, the fact remains that this child has gone through a lot and survived, she certainly has a contribution to make. It may be that sansa really understand the "Game of Thrones" by the political side, but Arya felt like a wolf also has to struggle to survive. And, very important fact, the wolf of sansa died and it certainly means something. She is the single stark to live without wolf.

But there is another question, if Arya becomes a man without a face, Nimerya and straks will recognize it?

Well obviously Arya won't ever rule Winterfell as Lady Arya Stark. Sansa and her brothers are still alive for one and I see no reason for the story even going in that direction. I could however see her playing a major part in bringing the pack back together. Also it's worth taking into account that by the time she comes back she may well be 13 or older so she has a lot to learn.

Actually her path has proved the complete opposite. She's been captured sure but she's also survived through war and captivitity, and has travelled half way across the world by herself. Remarkable feats for a ten year old.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived