Comics, Graphic Novels and Manga

haLobEnder

wow. Just reading a comic site and there was an article on how China Mieville's take on Swamp thing was cancelled. I haven't read anything by China but based on his rep I imagine his "Swamp thing" could have been the best thing since Moore.

Maybe we'll see a book by China with elemental forces in it some time soon?

wow. Just reading a comic site and there was an article on how China Mieville's take on Swamp thing was cancelled. I haven't read anything by China but based on his rep I imagine his "Swamp thing" could have been the best thing since Moore.

Maybe we'll see a book by China with elemental forces in it some time soon?

Yea Rich Johnston of bleeding cool covered this. Yes, it was to be based off of Alan Moore's work. There are already a half dozen issues written with another half dozen outlined. It was to be a commentary on the environment and green initiative. DC most likely canceled it because of the political undertones. The best you can hope for is either for it to get turned into a creator owned comic (though I have my doubts on that) or for it to get turned into something slightly different and to be put into novel form.

Yea Rich Johnston of bleeding cool covered this.

How long have I being missing this? Lying in the gutters was my favourite comics column from silverbulletcomics and then comicbookresources but when Rich left I thought it was dead (after a few aborted attempts at continuing it). I'll have to bookmark that one.

As of right now I am keeping active with

-The Walking Dead

-Fables

-The Sandman

-The Extraordinary League of Gentlemen

I've also finished(and loved) Scott Pilgrim and Preacher.

I'm still a relative newcomer to comics, but it's a great medium. I can't get into the Superhero stuff(most of it anyway), but there's a lot of things that can be done in comics that just don't cut it in live action, but also won't quite work in cartoon form, and it's the kind of comics like that that I generally dig.

How long have I being missing this? Lying in the gutters was my favourite comics column from silverbulletcomics and then comicbookresources but when Rich left I thought it was dead (after a few aborted attempts at continuing it). I'll have to bookmark that one.

Careful, he no longer has an editor editing him. As silly as this sounds, go for your hard news at CBR or Newsarama and Bleedingcool for rumors.

• 2 weeks later...

Careful, he no longer has an editor editing him. As silly as this sounds, go for your hard news at CBR or Newsarama and Bleedingcool for rumors.

Crazy rumours are still fun to check out. Finding myself more interested in CBR than newsarama these days as rama seems to only consist of previews and those damn annoying vidcasts. Give me a transcript too as I don't want to watch comic geeks chatting - I just want to read about it.

I actually bought and read a comic that came out this week! I grabbed a hold of the new Batman Beyond series. Mainly it's due to how awesome the cartoon was but I'm hoping it can find life as a comic. The first issue wasn't bad - the art was in a similar enough style to the show and Beechem managed to capture Bruce's voice and sorta got Mginni's voice (although I think he sounded a little too spider-man in places). The big disappoinment was the reveal of the villain. I'm not sure what DC's obsession is with forcing this 90s (though he came out in the 21st century) throwback down our throats. I'm hoping there's more to the villain as the hints are that he was being tested on in Cadmus - so hopefully there'll be a reveal along the lines of it being some kind of Batvillain chimera. I'll wait and see as I'll probably give the whole series a chance in the hopes Beechem gets better or replaced with a better-suited writer.

Crazy rumours are still fun to check out. Finding myself more interested in CBR than newsarama these days as rama seems to only consist of previews and those damn annoying vidcasts. Give me a transcript too as I don't want to watch comic geeks chatting - I just want to read about it.

I actually bought and read a comic that came out this week! I grabbed a hold of the new Batman Beyond series. Mainly it's due to how awesome the cartoon was but I'm hoping it can find life as a comic. The first issue wasn't bad - the art was in a similar enough style to the show and Beechem managed to capture Bruce's voice and sorta got Mginni's voice (although I think he sounded a little too spider-man in places). The big disappoinment was the reveal of the villain. I'm not sure what DC's obsession is with forcing this 90s (though he came out in the 21st century) throwback down our throats. I'm hoping there's more to the villain as the hints are that he was being tested on in Cadmus - so hopefully there'll be a reveal along the lines of it being some kind of Batvillain chimera. I'll wait and see as I'll probably give the whole series a chance in the hopes Beechem gets better or replaced with a better-suited writer.

1) Yes, CBR is the better site; however, Newsarama live blogs conventions (which i prefer and find more exciting).

2) Yea, the Batman Beyond first issue was disappointing; be that as it may, did you check out the Superman/Batman Annual by Paul Levitz? Its totally sold out right now, but it also took place in the Batman Beyond universe. It was rather good. I still wish they would do a comic book series of the older Terry.

Is Mohiro Kitoh the guy behind Shadow Star? I haven't seen it, but I've heard it looks like a cute series for kids - until a scene comes up where a girl is bullied in school and raped by the bullies with a glass test tube. Among other absolutely hilarious stuff. That would cheer me up alright

:rolleyes:

Is Mohiro Kitoh the guy behind Shadow Star? I haven't seen it, but I've heard it looks like a cute series for kids - until a scene comes up where a girl is bullied in school and raped by the bullies with a glass test tube. Among other absolutely hilarious stuff. That would cheer me up alright

:rolleyes:

Yes. Although the "This is probably not for kid" revelation comes a bit earlier.

He also wrote Bokurano. In which a bunch of kids gets roped into piloting giant robot fighting other giant robots.... Only every time they fight, the pilot of their robot dies.

And if they lose, the universe dies.

And if they WIN, some other universe, filled with people just like them, dies.

And that's not even the depressing part. The kid's backstories are.

The anime (which is signifcantly LESS depressing) has

Holy shit. What the hell do you watch, Galactus????

:stunned:

Mohiro Kitoh? I'll pass, thanks.

The worst part?

Kitoh is GOOD.

As in, he can do a lot of stuff. And despite beng almost unremittingly depressing he usually has a few moments when things *almost* work out. When lonely people can *almost* get the help they need, when you can *almost* see the light at the end of the tunnel...

The it turns out it was on fire.

But he's not unremittingy bleak, oddly enough. It's more... The world could be a much better place if people just paid attention to each other. (what leads to Honda's death is A) the fact that Honda *extremely brutally* bullies her classmate and B) That no one else sees what's going on, or actually, there's a boy who does, but by that point the murder-spree has already started)

Funny thing, this series (manga, not anime) actually helped me recover from my depresion.

1) Yes, CBR is the better site; however, Newsarama live blogs conventions (which i prefer and find more exciting).

2) Yea, the Batman Beyond first issue was disappointing; be that as it may, did you check out the Superman/Batman Annual by Paul Levitz? Its totally sold out right now, but it also took place in the Batman Beyond universe. It was rather good. I still wish they would do a comic book series of the older Terry.

I'll have to try and track the annual down as i'm a fairly big Beyond fan. Was the annual you mention the one where it's mentioned

bruce wayne is possibly Damien in the comic "beyond" universe?

. Or was that in the Batman 700 by Morrison (i'm still waiting to pick it up from by subscription back home). I just hope this mini-series doesn't kill the concept off. Done well they could gradually spin the series off to include the Justice league, which seem fun too.

I'll have to try and track the annual down as i'm a fairly big Beyond fan. Was the annual you mention the one where it's mentioned

bruce wayne is possibly Damien in the comic "beyond" universe?

. Or was that in the Batman 700 by Morrison (i'm still waiting to pick it up from by subscription back home). I just hope this mini-series doesn't kill the concept off. Done well they could gradually spin the series off to include the Justice league, which seem fun too.

Neither. It was a story about Terry going to Metropolis to track down a villain and his interaction with the older superman. It was quite well done. http://www.dccomics.com/media/product/1/4/14961_400x600.jpg

Good, no try something by Mohiro Kitoh. That should cheer you up.
Nah, he should read some Hiroki Endo, Kei Toume and maybe Urasawa too, Kitoh is not subtle enough for it to be truly vicious.

(and seriously, he should read Yokohama Kadaishi Kikou, nothing better to heal a mind, in the genre. Or maybe Otoyomegatari)

Nah, he should read some Hiroki Endo, Kei Toume and maybe Urasawa too, Kitoh is not subtle enough for it to be truly vicious.

(and seriously, he should read Yokohama Kadaishi Kikou, nothing better to heal a mind, in the genre. Or maybe Otoyomegatari)

Or if fluffy romantic stuff is your pick-me-up: Kimi Ni Todoke.

Or general adorableness: Yotsuba!

ΠΛΑΝΗΤΕΣ and Vinland Saga are neither soul-crushing nor uplifting, though, so no comparison or contrast with Kitoh.

Kimi ni tokode, huh? These things are too sweet (as in it rots my teeth). Last one I truly liked must have been Hana Yori Dango, or maybe Nana (hmm now that I think about it, Skip Beat, Host Club, Karekano, Hanakimi and Nodame Cantabile weren't bad either). Either way the manga-style storytelling becomes highly annoying after a time, with romance, there's only so many misunderstandings and drama you can pour in before it becomes annoying to read. Otoyomegatari, by contrast, feels way more natural and definitely no dragging (heh, it's monthly after all).

And strangely, Yotsubato isn't nearly as universal as I thought. Most people I showed it to just don't care about it. I suspect Calvin & Hobbes to be way better for cheering up... more cultural resonance, I guess.

Kimi ni tokode, huh? These things are too sweet (as in it rots my teeth). Last one I truly liked must have been Hana Yori Dango, or maybe Nana (hmm now that I think about it, Skip Beat, Host Club, Karekano, Hanakimi and Nodame Cantabile weren't bad either). Either way the manga-style storytelling becomes highly annoying after a time, with romance, there's only so many misunderstandings and drama you can pour in before it becomes annoying to read. Otoyomegatari, by contrast, feels way more natural and definitely no dragging (heh, it's monthly after all).

Kimi Ni Todoke is fantastic in that respect.

You see... It pretty much avoids drama BECAUSE PEOPLE ARE SENSIBLE.

Libby tries to cause drama by the classic "your friends said..." rumour spreading tactic?

Main character asks them "Did you say that?" "No." "OK."

Or the time when Libby is trying to engineer a situation so that main character looks like she's in love with another character.

Love Interest: "Well are you?" "No." "OK".

Seriously, it's hilarious the way they just defuse drama.

Archived