NFL Thread: Training Camps open

DanteGabriel

Not to play this whole shit out all over again, but we don't really know who did what to who. It is just Blogs, Peter King text messages and the Denver Post. This day and age everyone likes to think they have it all figured out just because they read it off some blog. But things are a little more complicated than 2 paragraphs.

I would just say that I think the whole thing had much more to do with Cutler's relationship with Shanahan than anything else.

All I have figured out is Jay Cutler is gone. It doesn't matter if he whined or cried or threw a tantrum or whatever else we heard, in Denver Jay Cutler was one of the bright spots. And McDaniels didn't want him, and was glad to get rid of him. We do know that.

Wait, we know a bit more. Jay Cutler is gone and Kyle Orton is here.

I just can't get behind McD.

$97.5 million for Eli....really Giants?! I respect Jerry Reese's football sense as much as just about anyone, but I need to understand how a guy with a 76 career QB Rating is worthy of $15 million a year? I'm not sure he's even a top 10 QB in this league.

To think, if David Tyree wan't so faithful to his pregame "gluesticking up the helmet" ritual, I don't think Eli gets half that. He'd just be another Superbowl losing QB that only got there because his defense was great. Heck, I suspect if his name was something else, like Eli Grossman, he also doesn't get half that. This guy is Forrest Gump...no longer just in manner of speaking, but in the overall way fate smiles upon him. Not that I'm complaining. If I had my way, the Giants would pay him $197 million. But I do think, for the first time in years, that organization has finally fucked up.

To think, if David Tyree wan't so faithful to his pregame "gluesticking up the helmet" ritual, I don't think Eli gets half that.

Or if Asante Samuel holds on to the fucking INT, or the refs notice Adalius Thomas getting dragged to the turf by his facemask...

Sports Illustrated had a photo of Tyree's catch on their NFL page today. Still gets me, every fucking time.

$97.5 million for Eli....really Giants?! I respect Jerry Reese's football sense as much as just about anyone, but I need to understand how a guy with a 76 career QB Rating is worthy of $15 million a year? I'm not sure he's even a top 10 QB in this league.

To think, if David Tyree wan't so faithful to his pregame "gluesticking up the helmet" ritual, I don't think Eli gets half that. He'd just be another Superbowl losing QB that only got there because his defense was great. Heck, I suspect if his name was something else, like Eli Grossman, he also doesn't get half that. This guy is Forrest Gump...no longer just in manner of speaking, but in the overall way fate smiles upon him. Not that I'm complaining. If I had my way, the Giants would pay him $197 million. But I do think, for the first time in years, that organization has finally fucked up.

I am not happy...at all!

Hodor Manning won a super bowl? :wideeyed: I have no memory of it all at all?

I try not to get too upset about contracts. He was making more money than he could spend from his rookie contract and endorsements. I guess they figured he was better than the alternative.

I think that quarterback contracts work differently. Contracts for other players will behave a little more like an efficient market. If a team thinks that they can get close to the same level of performance for a lot less money, they'll let a high priced free agent go (e.g. Asante Samuel, Albert Haynesworth). On the other hand, nobody seems to think that way with above average quarterbacks. I'm pretty sure Rivers, Brady and Competent Manning will be getting contracts that dwarf this.

It will be interesting to see whether DeMarcus Ware breaks Albert Haynesworth's 7 yr, 100 million dollar deal. He has 297 tackles and 53.3 sacks in 4 years. Plus he is 27.

I think back to when Peyton Manning got his, and that's probably considered chump change now.

Only difference is, Peyton deserved his. Elite QBs are worth breaking the bank for; they're the single piece that's near impossible to replace. Switch Peyton out for most anyone, the Colts are an average team at best. Eli isn't elite. Infact, it's difficult to say he's even above average, because he plays on a team with an awesome running game and a great O-line. I certainly didn't see him stepping up and lifting his team on his back once Plaxico went down.

It will be interesting to see whether DeMarcus Ware breaks Albert Haynesworth's 7 yr, 100 million dollar deal. He has 297 tackles and 53.3 sacks in 4 years. Plus he is 27.

I'd be surprised if he doesn't. He's got to be the game's most elite pass-rusher at this point. I'm actually surprised people don't talk about Ware more. He seems to be one of the few Cowboys who's actually very much under the radar.

Michael Crabtree may sit out the year and reenter the draft.

Are you freaking kidding me?!!? Being a 49ers fan from the other side of the continental US is hard enough as it is... now I have to see articles like this? :bang:

From what I hear, his agent is being a mega-ass about this whole thing. Potentially there were promises made to Crabtree that he'd be a top 5 pick, and now that he's not, Eugene Parker still wants to guarantee top 5 money. But the NFL doesn't work that way and has never worked that way. You'd think after falling past his projected draft slot, the player would just feel gratitude to the team who did pick him and as a result would project a strong desire to get on the field and make those teams that passed on him pay for overlooking him. Instead you see situations like this, where the player ends up demanding a contract based not on reality or the easily ascertainable value the #10 slot implies but based on how he believes "things should be." Because life works that way.

His impasse also seems to be a big part of why none of the picks #8-12 have signed. Every one of them is shooting themselves in the foot with every practice they miss. Thank God Orakpo didn't get caught up in this pure bullshit at #13.

I'd be surprised if he doesn't. He's got to be the game's most elite pass-rusher at this point. I'm actually surprised people don't talk about Ware more. He seems to be one of the few Cowboys who's actually very much under the radar.

Man, I was all ready to refute this (as an Eagles fan, it's in the DNA). But it's hard to argue with 20 sacks. Who else could contend as the elite pass-rusher in the NFL? Jared Allen, Joey Porter, maybe. Julius Peppers?

Fine, I'll refute the "under the radar" part. He's got to be the #2 face of the Cowboys, after Romo. I'm willing to bet he gets circled on the telestrator in national games as much this year as any other defensive player in the league.

For a league that has done so much right, I can't believe they never instituted a rookie salary scale like the NBA. The examples of rookies on the offensive line making more than 10 year vets abound, but this is another example of something that doesn't have to happen.

I've never understood the resistance to it... the NFLPA doesn't have representatives from the college ranks in there and the guys already in the league have nothing to lose and potentially some gain if they were to institute it.

:unsure:

Man, I was all ready to refute this (as an Eagles fan, it's in the DNA). But it's hard to argue with 20 sacks. Who else could contend as the elite pass-rusher in the NFL? Jared Allen, Joey Porter, maybe. Julius Peppers?

Yeah, and even of those, I'd say Allen is the only legitimate contender these days. Peppers has been too mediocre for too long (does any guy get more press for doing less?), and Porter's too old to be considered elite.

Fine, I'll refute the "under the radar" part. He's got to be the #2 face of the Cowboys, after Romo. I'm willing to bet he gets circled on the telestrator in national games as much this year as any other defensive player in the league.

I guess I just mean in terms of being feared. He got the quietest 20 sacks I've ever seen which is doubly amazing because he's a Cowboy and is on National TV all the time. Wonder if this will be the year where during every Cowboy game, the announcers spend about a half hour talking about how awesome he is.

For a league that has done so much right, I can't believe they never instituted a rookie salary scale like the NBA. The examples of rookies on the offensive line making more than 10 year vets abound, but this is another example of something that doesn't have to happen.

I've never understood the resistance to it... the NFLPA doesn't have representatives from the college ranks in there and the guys already in the league have nothing to lose and potentially some gain if they were to institute it.

:unsure:

It's really the one thnig about the NFL that's completely nonsensical. The league is like this well oiled machine (especially compared to MLB, NBA and NHL)...but when it comes to the way the NFL draft works it's like rationality goes right out the window. And as you say, it's done for a constituency that's not even in the league. Every dollar these teams have to pay rookies for these absurd contracts means a dollar they can't pay veteran NFLers. Basically the group without a union or any kind of representation is trumping the NFLPA. And it's not like the owners or teams remotely enjoy paying these astronomical contracts to unproven talent that bust as often as not. Why is this so hard to change?! Is catering to the agents wishes such a high priority? It's really the one aspect of league structure where the NBA absolutely pwns the NFL and makes 'em look foolish in comparison.

I guess I just mean in terms of being feared. He got the quietest 20 sacks I've ever seen which is doubly amazing because he's a Cowboy and is on National TV all the time. Wonder if this will be the year where during every Cowboy game, the announcers spend about a half hour talking about how awesome he is.

How could the talking heads squeeze Ware in between yakking about Romo, Jessica, TO and Witten? There was just not enough time! :P

And I completely agree with everyone that the NFL needs a rookie salary scale. The current system is utterly ridiculous :tantrum:

How could the talking heads squeeze Ware in between yakking about Romo, Jessica, TO and Witten? There was just not enough time! :P

And I completely agree with everyone that the NFL needs a rookie salary scale. The current system is utterly ridiculous :tantrum:

lol, so true. That is why I'm so glad TO is gone. No more constant harping on what he said or didn't say (when he said nothing, he was pouting). No more counting the number of pass plays that didn't go to him. Plus, Pacman is gone. *relieved sigh*

hopefully there will be more talk of Ware, Witten and Martellus Bennett (who I think is going to be HUGE this year) and the Cowboys version of Earth, Wind, and Fire: Smash (MBIII), Dash (Felix Jones), and Tash (Tashard Choice) :P

Of course every Sunday will have a "Tony Romo struggles in December and has not won a playoff game". And rightfully so until he breaks the cycle.

eta: and yes, rookie cap please!

From what I hear, his agent is being a mega-ass about this whole thing. Potentially there were promises made to Crabtree that he'd be a top 5 pick, and now that he's not, Eugene Parker still wants to guarantee top 5 money. But the NFL doesn't work that way and has never worked that way. You'd think after falling past his projected draft slot, the player would just feel gratitude to the team who did pick him and as a result would project a strong desire to get on the field and make those teams that passed on him pay for overlooking him. Instead you see situations like this, where the player ends up demanding a contract based not on reality or but based on how he believes "things should be." Because life works that way.

:bang:

Fucking agents! Fucking sense of entitlement!

Archived