American Politics XII

CloudFlare

http://www.slate.com/id/2223291/

So admin officials are supposedly gung-ho but Obama also shut down Yucca Mountain. Um. Have I missed plan B?

Plan B for...? Plan B for handling the waste issue is uh...to ignore it some more? :dunno: DOE and contractors will just pick another site and start the process of wrangling with state officials over NIMBY nonsense all over again. Meanwhile, waste will continue to be stored on-site at plants.

Plan B for...? Plan B for handling the waste issue is uh...to ignore it some more? :dunno: DOE and contractors will just pick another site and start the process of wrangling with state officials over NIMBY nonsense all over again. Meanwhile, waste will continue to be stored on-site at plants.

So sticking #45 with it. That's what I figured, bah.

In the ongoing shit-rain of right wing troglodytes circulating racist anti-Obama emails:

http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmemo.com/...ing.php?ref=fpa

This time it's an anti-health-reform activist circulating a picture of Obama dressed like a witch doctor.

I would like to think that hurts their cause more than helps.

Even if you're a racist, I don't know how you aren't furious that the answer to the healthcare crisis is evidently Obama photoshopped to look like a witchdoctor.

I would like to think that hurts their cause more than helps.

Even if you're a racist, I don't know how you aren't furious that the answer to the healthcare crisis is evidently Obama photoshopped to look like a witchdoctor.

The right wing has been trafficking in hate, fear, and greed for so long they have no ideas left. They're all out of practice in acting like grownups.

God, I think I love Obama. Mostly because he's Black. It's like he's a magnet for people's "hidden" racism.

His whole presidency is gonna be a constant "Who admits their a racist now?" Watch.

people get pretty confused when you tell them we have socialized law enforcement too. and socialized education.

And when you explain that people will still be able to augment healthcare. Just like people hiring body guards, or sending their kids to privite school.

they just see it as self evident that the government should take care of what it takes care of and not what it doesn't already.

A guy in my class yesterday used a term that I hadn't really heard before. He said something to the effect of "It's very hard to predict what reform will do but things are so messed up that we have to give trial and error a shot."

What do you guys think of that idea?

Yes, I think we are well past the point of needing to try something, anything different. However, although I'm probably woefully naive, I don't think it's necessarily just going to be "trial and error" at this point. I mean, it seems to me that we have a wealth of info to work with by simply looking at other health care systems around the world. If I had my druthers it would be a single payer system but since that's too painful or too-much-too-soon (insurance and big pharma would take too big of hits) then it seems like France is currently making a public-private partnership work. How'd they pull it off? They didn't fall off the face of the Earth when they did it :dunno:

True. But what I thought Obama did nail yesterday was the analogy about the proposed reform of increased costs to individuals and businesses etc...that is the status quo. People should be terrified of doing nothing on the health care front but instead they are terrified of doing something.

I am becoming more and more convinced that employer based healthcare makes no sense. It may have made sense when it was enacted but it doesn't make sense now. It's especially problematic in a lesser economy when tons of people lose their jobs and their healthcare coverage. I'm also more nad more convinced that fee-for-service is a terrible idea but I need to do more research on this.

I'm with you on this. I think the "for profit" or "fee-for-service" aspect we have now is terrible. And so is health coverage tied to employment. I also think that for "preventive medicine" to get the emphasis it should the profit motivation of health care, or at least a good part of it, has to be somehow eliminated. I mean, I think it's safe to say that there's a helluva lot more profit in treatment than there is in prevention. However, I think there is also a helluva lot of savings in prevention. The problem for health insurance and pharmacutical companies is that they will not be the ones realizing those savings ;)

Scot - I hope my post didn't come off as being a response to you cause I didn't mean it that way. I just got going about Beck.

Me too. I just wanted really badly to take a potshot at that guy. I wish people would stop paying attention to him, it's so embarrassing. Like watching a three-legged dog piss all over itself. Or something :leaving:

Employer based healthcare is a terrible idea from every stand-point. It's just that the Right has been much better at scaring the shit out of people and convincing them that if the government does anything to health care, getting treatment for a critical illness will be like going to the DMV.

Fear > Reason

Me too. I just wanted really badly to take a potshot at that guy. I wish people would stop paying attention to him, it's so embarrassing. Like watching a three-legged dog piss all over itself. Or something :leaving:

Are you aware you are paying him the attention you decry? The more people wail about how terrible he is, the more he gains. Every time someone who disagrees with him posts a link to his show, it helps him. It fuels discussion of his show and his ideas, ideas which should be blithely ignored.

As The Simpsons have told us...just don't look.

It's just that the Right has been much better at scaring the shit out of people and convincing them that if the government does anything to health care, getting treatment for a critical illness will be like going to the DMV.

Fear > Reason

What really pisses me off about this is that a) government created the current employer-based system, which the right supposedly loves; and b) the current government-run health care system, Medicare, seems to work pretty well by most accounts.

A bit OT, but I'm just appalled.

CNN, something that calls itself a news station, was doing a report comparing Obama to... Napolean. NAPOLEAN FUCKING BONAPARTE! They even had a graphical size comparison! They discussed whether or not he had a "Napolean Complex."

He is over 6 feet tall you dumbasses! :hat: . And then (and I think the entire spiel was leading up to this) they posed the question... will heath care be his Waterloo?...

:bang: :bang: :bang:

Anyway, just a rant. Back to healthcare.

A bit OT, but I'm just appalled.

CNN, something that calls itself a news station, was doing a report comparing Obama to... Napolean. NAPOLEAN FUCKING BONAPARTE! They even had a graphical size comparison! They discussed whether or not he had a "Napolean Complex."

He is over 6 feet tall you dumbasses! :hat: . And then (and I think the entire spiel was leading up to this) they posed the question... will heath care be his Waterloo?...

:bang: :bang: :bang:

Anyway, just a rant. Back to healthcare.

Fun fact, Napolean Bonaparte was an average sized for his time, standing at 5 feet 6 inches. It was British propaganda that portrayed him as a short man with an oversized ego.

I can't tell if this is a reference or not. Shryke knows what I'm talking about.

As far as I know this isn't a reference. You're welcome to take it as one, though.

Are you aware you are paying him the attention you decry? The more people wail about how terrible he is, the more he gains. Every time someone who disagrees with him posts a link to his show, it helps him. It fuels discussion of his show and his ideas, ideas which should be blithely ignored.

Hey now, I didn't post no link.

EDIT: CNN sucks.

Archived