When can we expect another casting announcement?

daimonion

HBO will release the news when they feel like it's right to do so.

Honestly, I think it's unlikely it will be tonight because they already released news during the day yesterday about 'Afghan Star' which will be in the morning's print edition. I think it's less likely their PR people will do two major announcements on the same day just because it's better to have big HBO news each day of the week if one can. An article a day with HBO in the headline is better than two in one day and none the next, I should think.

Then again, I'm not a PR person but that's how I would go about it.

Thanks Brude, that's good enough for me.

I'm off to my happy place, night all.

Admit it, you're going to drift off into the arms of Morpheus with visions of ghostly Others in top hats and tails, canes swaying back and forth to the strains of 'New Yawk, New Yawk'. Sleep well. Think I'm outta here myself...yawn...

I'm actually a little disappointed in our Worldcon crew. Wasn't the vaunted Brotherhood Without Banners supposed to ply George with liquor and pluck his magic twanger? Worldcon is gone with the wind, and we still know nothing aside from the (scooped) Jennifer Ehle news.

Well, that and the fact that Jaime and Theon are supposedly cast (no names), and the role of Daenerys is down to three actresses.

George was supposed to slip something else by now! Even Dan & Dave seemed to expect he would.

Not enough Blood of the Kraken flowed his way, I guess.

Also, a note on daily publications, such as Hollywood Reporter: if there's not a "name" actor thrown into the batch of news, they often don't even mention it. Especially for a show that hasn't even shot its first scene yet. "Supporting" roles don't get the attention leads do - and though we all know there are basically NO "leads" in this series, people reporting for the industry who don't know the story may just assume the leads have been cast, and unless Miley Cyrus turns up as Old Nan, we may not see immediate mentions of any of this.

It could also mean we're getting a batch of relative newcomers for these roles.

Which, actually, I'm fine with. Dream castings aside, too many stars could become too distracting.

Can someone confirm that this is happening? The Powers that be are so cruel to keep us dangling like this... So sleepy, and kinda _____, and a tad _______....

Hey, lets play AGoT Mad Libs while we wait!

So I guess that's a no on the ad libs.

Awww bummer. I was looking forward to that... :thumbsdown:

*cue crickets...

Also, a note on daily publications, such as Hollywood Reporter: if there's not a "name" actor thrown into the batch of news, they often don't even mention it.

No, if HBO sends them a press release it will get printed. They need to fill column inches and the more they can fill the better for them. It doesn't matter to THR if the actor they are writing about is well known or not. I've seen plenty of stories printed there and in Variety about little known actors getting major roles or about small-time producers who are announcing some deal they've made.

I knew one small time, dickhead producer (real fast talker, tried to offer a client who was a Guild member only $5000 to option a script) who got some really small "first look deal" with a company I and nobody I worked with ever heard of. Even so, Variety reported it in the same breathless tone they used when Lawrence Gordon got half a billion dollars in backing to become his own mini-major.

O/T, but Brude, why does Variety call everybody a "thesp" as if they all specialized in Shakespearean productions?

It's part of their patter, they love their unique terminology there:

Thesp = actor

tyro = new (as in tyro director)

Par = Paramount Pictures

ankled = quit his/her job to go to or form another company

Mouse House = Disney

They even have their own a glossary, it seems - I find that hilarious.

No, if HBO sends them a press release it will get printed. They need to fill column inches and the more they can fill the better for them. It doesn't matter to THR if the actor they are writing about is well known or not. I've seen plenty of stories printed there and in Variety about little known actors getting major roles or about small-time producers who are announcing some deal they've made.

I think that's assuming it's news HBO deigns it worthwhile to issue a press release for. Though yes, George's assertion that they are five "main" roles in the leaked script would justify it, surely. Casting Sansa (no lines in the pilot) and Hodor may not warrant anything. I would say Jaime comes off as Primary Villain, so you'd think that would at least be worthy of a press release.

I guess what I'm iffy on is the fact that five new roles have been cast (note that Daenerys is not one of them; according to George they haven't decided yet, but it's down to three actresses), and no one is saying a thing.

If it's done, it's done. The only thing I can guess is they're not quite finished dotting the i's and crossing the t's, contract wise. Whoever snags Jaime has to know he's in it for the long haul, pending the show's success.

The only thing I can guess is they're not quite finished dotting the i's and crossing the t's, contract wise.

That's very likely. I've, sadly, seen 'sure thing' deals fall apart completely at the last moment, even after everything was negotiated and contracts were being redlined and supposedly finalized. I never believed a deal was done until I saw the names signed on the dotted line.

For the characters who appear but have no lines, I'd rather expect them to be filled by extras and then cast if the series is picked up with the shots featuring them in the pilot re-shot to include the new cast. This is especially true for the children since you wouldn't want to cast a 13 year old Sansa and film the pilot with her, then 10 months later find she has grown 5 inches, has breasts and looks very different when shooting the second episode.

My guess on which 5 cast members will be announced are;

Jamie (becasue the man said so)

Sandor (lots of hints about him)

Arya

Robb

Bran - This is because of GRRMs "hiya, kids" comment

I think Jamie will be the "big" announcement and the others will be "smaller" cast in the same vein of Ned + viserys, joffrey, Jon and Baratheon (5 names there too).

I think Dany is very close but will be left as a separate announcement with some "smaller" roles attached. Depending on whether Cersei is a known actress she may cap another casting announcement too.

It only dawned on me after seeing the Viserys actor that Summer Glau could probably get away with playing Dany too, although I think she's been mentioned already in the casting forums.

I love the idea of Dalip Singh and Matthew Willig as Gregor and Sandor, even though I've never heard Dalip say a word that wasn't obscured by his voice in general. I remember that in The Longest Yard they put subtitles in English, even when no subtitles were needed. Willig was excellent in Dexter, he looks the part, and I think he would probably do a good Sandor. Remember, this is a guy with an Oscar in his sights. It means he's going to be serious about the show. Also, from the interview, he seemed like a nice guy. He's also kinda terrifying, which is what we want Sandor to be.

But I love how this thread degenerated from intelligent discussion to random humor. I support Morgan Freeman as Arya!

Since there's no news, time for random internet wackiness inspired from the previous page:

Start spreading the news,

Another head rolled today.

I want to be a part of it:

The game of thrones!

I could rule everywhere,

if I my ass was on that chair.

It's up to me, to win

The game of thrones!

Admit it, you're going to drift off into the arms of Morpheus with visions of ghostly Others in top hats and tails, canes swaying back and forth to the strains of 'New Yawk, New Yawk'. Sleep well. Think I'm outta here myself...yawn...

Thanks, the thought did pop into my head just before I slipped into slumber. I ended up giggling myself to sleep.

What an image, Others doing Fosse dance steps..."Now walk it out you crazy New Yawk Others!"

Archived