[Pre-ADwD Spoilers] Bran 1 - Spoilers for ADWD

Angalin

The Davos 2 summary is on page 3 of the Davos 1 summary topic.

It's not much. I recorded it when GRRM read it on Second Life. On Word it's about a page long, and simply the set up for the good stuff that should happen in the chapter. (I printed off the sample chapters from GRRM's website using Word as well, and Jon Snow's first chapter was 9 and 1/2 pages long, so if that's any benchmark, the sample read from Davos 2 should be about 1/9 of the actual Davos 2 chapter).

(For those of you who may want the chapter, it can't be given out for legal reasons. GRRM has said that you can record his readings for personal use, but not to publish online like at YouTube or here. He's fine with summaries. Apologies. )

Go Davos!

Edited by Jughead of the Round

• 3 weeks later...
I really think the Reeds have no chance at all in both making it alive back to the wall. Jojens "Today is not the day..." sounded tetchy and given by rote, rather than his earlier mystical conviction.

I don't see Jojen dying of hypothermia. But I can GUARANTEE that at some point he will say "today IS the day I die". I'm hoping for some heroic self-sacrifice. But i agree, the Reeds seem doomed. Probly won't survive aDwD

• 5 months later...

As to CH, it could very well be Waymar Royce; he was wearing ringmail in the AGOT prologue.

Isn't that the common gear for rangers that patrol beyond the wall? I wouldn't take that as an indication for Waymar being Coldhands. It just seems to harden the fact that he is a former member (or to be more precise... a ranger) of the Night's Watch. But that was pretty clear before we knew he's wearing ringmail, wasn't it?

• 4 weeks later...

Isn't that the common gear for rangers that patrol beyond the wall? I wouldn't take that as an indication for Waymar being Coldhands. It just seems to harden the fact that he is a former member (or to be more precise... a ranger) of the Night's Watch. But that was pretty clear before we knew he's wearing ringmail, wasn't it?

I think (pure speculation, no evidence) that in the end the difference between who can have a chance to survive to the Others and who becomes a wight will be made by the protection of the Old Gods... The brothers who made their vow near the Weirwoods will be protected more, in some way (and before the end this will maybe prove useful for both Jon and Sam).

So, if I'd to bet I still think CH is Benjen, who managed to survive in some way (and not completely living, see the cold and black hands) after an encounter with the others, protected by the same magic which opens the Black Gate (sensitive to the NW vow).

I keep coming back to this part of the Bran DWD reading.

Ravens quork around them. By day, six stay with them, while the rest of the murder fly ahead and behind. They all come back at night. The ravens are the ranger’s eyes and ears

And this one from the Mystery Knight preview:

He gave Thunder a touch of the spur, and he and Egg rode through the gates of Stoney Sept, listening to the soft sound of the rain. How many eyes does Lord Bloodraven have? the riddle ran. A thousand eyes, and one. Some claimed the King's Hand was a student of the dark arts who could change his face, put on the likeness of a one-eyed dog, even turn into a mist. Packs of gaunt grey wolves hunted down his foes, men said, and carrion crows spied for him and whispered secrets in his ear. Most of the tales were only tales, Dunk did not doubt, but no one could doubt that Bloodraven had informers everywhere.

Hmmmm

Edited by Benjen

• 2 months later...

I just got back from Leprecon in Mesa, Arizona where George was the guest of honor. He reread this chapter on Friday afternoon. There were some changes, most noticeably a much better ending to it.

Bran accuses Coldhands of being a monster. Coldhands answers "I am your monster" One of his ravens echos the word "Your". The call is picked up by other ravens in the trees and they are all soon cawing "Your! Your! Your!"

It was spooky. It reminded me a little of an evil homage to Finding Nemo as I thought about it later.

Also, it got me to thinking. Coldhand's ravens act suspiciously like the Old Bear's bird. I wonder if that one serves as Coldhand's eyes on the Wall?

Edited by LordNedsHead

• 3 weeks later...

Is it just me or has Bran's story line been pretty boring lately? I can't say I'm inspired by this reading and I hope Martin can pump it up a little. Otherwise, I think that this POV can be trimmed in favor of some more interesting ones.

Is it just me or has Bran's story line been pretty boring lately? I can't say I'm inspired by this reading and I hope Martin can pump it up a little. Otherwise, I think that this POV can be trimmed in favor of some more interesting ones.

Well, Im sure it's not just you. I for one can't get enough Bran... and the Reeds are interesting to me as well. Load em up! I wan't to see Bran fly!

• 1 month later...

So the thread seems to have died out, but I'll post anyway.

I can't wait to read Bran's chapters. For some reason, I thought things would go easier for them after they met up with CH... you'd think I forgot who was writing the book.

But I wonder where the 3EC lives. Does he lives in a village, maybe with the last of the Children of the Forest, or does he live alone in a cave like a hermit? I also wonder how his dwelling is fortified against the Others- it seems like the farther north they go, the more danger they should be in from the Others.

• 3 weeks later...

I think that is interesting that 3EC talked with Bran around the same time Benjen was missing. Someone thinks that is impossible because it talked with Bran "the whole time" he is in coma, but dreams last only short time, and maybe it is the same with green dreams and nobody say how long green dream last.

Was it last two hours or two minutes? Who knows? We only knows that the conversation was around the same time Benjen missed and I feel that very strange. Before I read this chapter I was remember something Osha said to Bran. I don't have exactly quote but Osha tell Bran that she don't want to meet 3EC, and I think about dreams Bran have about 3EC (violent dreams). It doesn't seems that it is good creature, but in this chapter only monster is CH but not 3EC. Maybe it seemed that 3EC was Yoda in third book, and in this book Dark Yoda, but only because atmosphere not 3EC.

It is strange that 3EC not come to Bran&co. but we do not know 3EC's master&student rules of behavior or it's general behavior at all.

I agree that this chapter was disappointment big as Himalaya but I am very happy to hear more about Bran&co.

Whenever I can't figure out something about this series, I think of The Dragonbone Chair. It was Martin's main inspiration for this series. There was a race of ancient, elf-like good guys who were in a hidden faerie kingdom of sorts. iirc, they couldn't leave. They are the equiv of the CotF in my mind, even if the CotF are extinct.

My guess is that the 3EC is bound to a specific area, like those elfy guys in TDC, perhaps because it is safe from The Others, or because of magic similar to that of the Wall, which prevents magical beings from passing.

It's a little bit on the high-magic side of things, but that is sorta the direction the series is heading. Not high magic necessarily, but a good deal more than there has been to this point.

Why 3EC didn't come to Bran itself?

1#It is bounded or has restrict order (not) to be on specific place.

2#It is ridged and want that everyone act like he/she is a ruler. So, it sent CH to do the job instead him/her.

3#It doesn't know that Bran&co. come on North, because it doesn't check every damn thing. So, CH isn't messenger from 3EC.

4#It was busy so it sent CH.

5#It tell CH about Bran, but it has not intention to teach Bran. CH didn't catch that.

I have no idea which statement is true. If I have, I would prefer some of them.

I was once fancy that 3EC is Brandon the Builder but I get over with it.

But I still believe that CH is Benjen, and I would stick with it until we have unremarkable proof that he isn't. Not statement like "Her name is Wylla", but soiled proof like blood bed, blue roses, "promise me, Ned"...and other.

And I would prefer that 3EC isn't quite good creature.

Edited by Dawn Winter

But I wonder where the 3EC lives. Does he lives in a village, maybe with the last of the Children of the Forest, or does he live alone in a cave like a hermit? I also wonder how his dwelling is fortified against the Others- it seems like the farther north they go, the more danger they should be in from the Others.

I have always assumed that Bran and his companions are heading to Hardhome, which appears on maps of the lands north of the Wall.

Whenever I can't figure out something about this series, I think of The Dragonbone Chair. It was Martin's main inspiration for this series.

That's a fairly heroic assumption/statement. Can you provide a link to where this is stated please?

That's a fairly heroic assumption/statement. Can you provide a link to where this is stated please?

I am the one making the claim, I don't think GRRM ever did. However, I am not doing so lightly.

Two reasons:

1) I don't recall exactly where I found it, but there is a quote somewhere that goes like this. GRRM: "[i was reading] Memory, Sorrow and Thorn and I stopped at one point and said, 'yes! epic fantasy can be good!'" I wish I could find that quote but I haven't been able to. It was made well before Feast was published, so it's no surprise I can't find it.

But here's a quote from 2000 that helps:

"Tad William's fantasy series, that was very influential. It was good work. When I read his books, it was one of the things that got me to think of doing one of my own."

There are references all over the internet that have Martin naming Tolkien, Vance and Tad Williams as his main inspirations. Since he borrowed a ton from the War of the Roses, perhaps I should say it was his main epic fantasy inspiration. Or just "main fictional inspiration".

Two: The main evidence comes from actually reading MS&T. If you do/have it's super obvious that GRRM borrowed a lot from it. If a few ppl request it, I will make a short list of similarities. There are tons. Mostly just surface level stuff, but several are extremely straight forward.

• 7 months later...

I don't see Jojen dying of hypothermia. But I can GUARANTEE that at some point he will say "today IS the day I die". I'm hoping for some heroic self-sacrifice. But i agree, the Reeds seem doomed. Probly won't survive aDwD

He surelly will :(

I hope meera survives, at least

He surelly will :(

I hope meera survives, at least

perhaps that's why he's not been himself? he knows the day he's going to die, and that day is approaching fast?

meera and hodor i think are necessary to brans survival and success, so those two will most likely survive at least until bran comes back south of the wall. jojen - well, he has helped bran learn as much as he can, and is now falling back into a lesser role. i can see him dying before or shortly after brans coming to the three eyed crow...

• 1 month later...

Can a Wrag control a dragon?

We don't know yet. It's possible that there are SEVERAL ways to control dragons.

- the Targs may have an innate ability to do so (maybe);

- cetain objects (eg a horn we have seen prevously) also allegedy allow one to control dragons;

- a warg's ability possibly.

There have also been reference made to a couple (I think) of books that may provide insight into dragons and how to control them. One is a book that Maester Aemon mentions to Jon, and Tyrion thinks of another in one of his PoVs. It's been a while since I read the first three books, so I may be mistaken about either or both of these.