Rugby

Vestrit

I'm hoping the ABs can stop the Bok's juggernaut. AFAIK the Bok's are unbeaten so far and it would be a travesty if they went through the tri-nations unbeaten.

The possibly good thing about this is that the ABs might finally NOT be the favourites for a RWC. The only time the ABs have won the RWC is when they weren't favourites, i.e. only once. OK not much to hang on for hope, but I gotta grasp as whatever straws I can.

I'm hoping the ABs can stop the Bok's juggernaut. AFAIK the Bok's are unbeaten so far and it would be a travesty if they went through the tri-nations unbeaten.

Why a travesty ? SA has the better team this year.

The possibly good thing about this is that the ABs might finally NOT be the favourites for a RWC. The only time the ABs have won the RWC is when they weren't favourites, i.e. only once. OK not much to hang on for hope, but I gotta grasp as whatever straws I can.

Well, a good news for them is the French only wins in New-Zealand every 15 years. We did it this year and the next RWC is in 2011. So, perhaps the ABs have a tiny chance to not be elliminated by the French team this time. :rofl:

I can't help but read Anti-Targ's post as:

The AB coaching staff have identified that we're simply a nation of bottlers and there's nothing we can do to solve that.

So strategically, the only way to get around this obstacle is to completely destroy any expectations that our players and fans could possibly have and then hope that despite the resulting complete lack of confidence, our obviously superior skills will easily be enough to hand us the trophy.

Have a bit less arrogance and a bit more pride, man.

Unfortunately we weren't favourites going into 1995 either (Australia was).

On a brighter note, and switching to domestic rugby, I'm loving how the smaller provinces (Bay of Plenty, Southland, Manawatu, Hawkes Bay) are outplaying the big guns in the NPC. It's lovely to see the likes of Southland topping the table, or Hawkes Bay thrashing Auckland. It's also getting more spectators than the Super 12 Super 14 did.

Have a bit less arrogance and a bit more pride, man.

This *is* New Zealand we're talking about. Rugby is pretty much the only thing we've got to be arrogant about (at least in non-World Cup years. During World Cup years the popular mood is one of fear interspersed with brief bouts of hope, then overwhelmed by a classic lynch mob mentality).

I wonder when any country has had this much dominance in both rugby and cricket at the same time (SA are ranked first in both tests and one-dayers)?

Australia were certainly ranked first in test cricket in 1999 and obviously they were rugby world champions as well.

The Northern Hemisphere season starts this week and I for one am starting to get pretty excited.

Despite all the issues over the summer I think this should be another good Premiership season, I think Leicester should be strong again, I also think Bath, Irish and Northampton look pretty good. Beyond those teams I think Wasps, Gloucester with Nicky Robinson and Harlequins depending on how they respond to adversity could be interesting, unfortunately I think Sale might struggle a bit.

So my predictions for the season at this stage are:

Top four:

1. Leicester

2. Bath

3. London Irish

4. Northampton

Relegated:

12. Leeds

Is anyone else going to be playing this year? Turns out I'm going to be able to play for a couple of months and I'm looking forward to mullering someone (preferably a flyhalf) next week.

I hate to stray off topic, but do you know what happened to the Malazan board?

They are upgrading it at the moment, and it seems to be causing them a few probs. the new URL is http://forum.malazanempire.com

Problem is, us normal folk can not sign in at the moment as the sign up thingy (spot the technical term) keeps asking you to fill in a field that you've already filled. There is some info on the temp board (try this http://z10.invisionfree.com/malazanempire/index.php?act=site ) but I guess we just have to wait.

And I am only telling you this because you are Bristol - part of the West Country Union. If you were Leicester, for example, I would have replied "What Malazan Board?" :P

Archived