Rugby

Vestrit

More seriously, will Wilkinson be back in the English team this Autumn and /or for the 6N, now that every week and is getting better by every game ?

I'd imagine there's a good chance, especially with Flood injured. How has Wilkinson looked for Toulon?

• 3 weeks later...

Yay. The HC starts tomorrow. I'm actually excited by it this year.

Leinster, have to be real favorites. Fair enough, they've lost Rocky, but it's still a solid team.

Munster, hmm. My first and deepest love. I'm worried. What's tipping it is silly Italians. I think they've a decent chance of making it out of the pool stages and therefore they have a few months to get it together.

London Irish. My cousin plays for em. They're the English team I love to watch. (I went over for the Powergen cup a few years ago). I want them to do well. Do I want them to beat Leinster? Cringe. Don't ask the hard questions.

Les Francais. It's a Parisian Final this year. Will the French decide to take it seriously this year? If they do, can they win?

The Scots? Lads, seriously, do you even want to play anymore? The SRA need to take a serious look at things

The Welsh? The HC is the only evidence I can see for that mythological land. I like to think of it as Bath and Bristol, but wetter. Will scarlets play this year ?

What are your opinions?

What are your opinions?

I just thinking about writing a post on the Heineken Cup. I'm certainly looking forward to it, it's my favourite club competition by a fair margin.

Actually I do think the competition might be a bit weaker this year than in previous years, most of the English teams don't look to be on top form and I don't think any of the Welsh teams look likely to win it. Having said that I still think it will be good to watch.

In terms of winners I'd say that Munster and Leinster have to be big favourites. Leinster might have lost Elsom but they'll still be strong and although Munster have started badly in the Magners league they'll step up, especially with De Villiers in the midfield.

I think we'll win it. Then again, I always do. Maybe it's bad to say this: but if Leinster win I'll go crazy. I hate them...I'm sick of 'em and if I hear another Leinster fan going on about how Rog is crap, I'll probably hit them.

Mafi and De Villiers has the potential to be the best centre partnership in European rugby, Howlett is still a class act on the wing, and our pack is well-known to be very good. But we need big performances from Flannery, Wallace and Paulie this year. The Hayes suspension is a blow, we need someone to step up at 3, hopefully Mushy Buckley can do the job.

The Northampton game could be a major banana-skin though, away from home, we traditionally start badly against English teams, but we might pull through. I'm hoping we do, and we put in a big performance.

Anyone else hear Kennedy's wee outburst, picked up on the referee's mike?

Called Jennings 'you fucking cheap cunt' and it was broadcast nice and loud on Sky!

Pure awesome. :lol:

I think we'll win it. Then again, I always do. Maybe it's bad to say this: but if Leinster win I'll go crazy. I hate them...I'm sick of 'em and if I hear another Leinster fan going on about how Rog is crap, I'll probably hit them.

:lol:

Bad day for Leinster. Their famed inconsistency returns. Nice win for Ulster though. Maybe its their turn this year. :)

Weird to see such feeling between Munster and Leinster, considering they do make up most of the Irish team. :P

:lol:

Bad day for Leinster. Their famed inconsistency returns. Nice win for Ulster though. Maybe its their turn this year. :)

Weird to see such feeling between Munster and Leinster, considering they do make up most of the Irish team. :P

I don't mind their players too much....well some of them, it's just I'm sick of their fans. Again, not all of them, but the annoying ones poison the whole lot. Of course, most of them feel the same about us.

Mafi and De Villiers has the potential to be the best centre partnership in European rugby, Howlett is still a class act on the wing, and our pack is well-known to be very good. But we need big performances from Flannery, Wallace and Paulie this year. The Hayes suspension is a blow, we need someone to step up at 3, hopefully Mushy Buckley can do the job.

The Northampton game could be a major banana-skin though, away from home, we traditionally start badly against English teams, but we might pull through. I'm hoping we do, and we put in a big performance.

Rog is crap though. Good win for Cardiff.

He isn't crap though, he's probably the best 10 in the Northern Hemisphere, bar Jones.

Poor performance today. Awful, really. Dowling should really come in instead of De Villiers. De Villiers might be one of the best centres in the world, but he was bad today, Mafi was less effective because of him, and Dowling is dropped. Dowling is one of our most consistent player, and Mafi is a legend. Gave away some terrible scores, lots of mistakes. Scored 2 nice tries, but that wasn't enough in the end.

Something needs to be done.

He isn't crap though, he's probably the best 10 in the Northern Hemisphere, bar Jones.

Yeah, I don't think you'll find too many non Munster fans who'll agree with that assessment of O'Gara's abilities.

Great performance by Northampton yesterday, pretty impressive in all areas. I don't think Munster will be too disappointed with the result either, a bonus point away from home when your opposition plays that well isn't a bad result with Perpignan losing to Treviso as well.

Nor indeed, all Munster fans. While there is certainly an argument to be made that ROG has been the best out-half in the history of the HC, I couldn't argue that he's been much above mediocre for the last few seasons, in and out of the HC. Admittedly, mediocre in the HC is still pretty good, but he's not fantastic.

As a big ROG fan (I couldn't understand the Humphrey's over ROG argument), I have to think that Jonny Sexton will be pushing hard for the Ireland slot, and I'd say that Warwick will be in the 10 shirt for some Magners, if not more this year.

Also, is it just me ? I thought Munster played, well ok. Saints were pretty effective. I'll admit De Villiers wasn't super but then he hasn't been in the camp for long either. I expect him to bed down and contribute more as the year goes on. If I remember correctly Dougie Howlett didn't set the world on fire his first few matchs, nor did Mafi.

Everyone knows that Rog is underrated by everyone. Every time people say he is crap, he'll play brilliantly. Munster have probably been one of the best 3 teams in Europe over the last 10 years and Rog, David Wallace, Paulie and Axel Foley have been the architects of that success.

He's a brilliant kicker, out of hand and from place kicks, he's got great vision, and his tackling, which is seen as his main weakness, isn't as bad as some people say.

Name an out-half that's better than him. Not counting Jones, Wilkinson (because he's always injured) or Cipriani (because nothng's going to convince me that Cipriani is better than Rog atm).

Archived