Fashion Faux Pas You Have Seen Recently

Mlle. Zabzie

I have recently seen several fairly horrendous fashion no-nos. I know I'm not the only one. . . . summer seems to bring out the best, and worst, in people's fashion imagination. Share the best you've seen :)

Mine:

1. 2nd Avenue, 9 AM, Wednesday: Woman wearing a silver metallic wrap dress, clearly to work. Gapping. OMG.

2. Interviewee at on-campus interviews, major law school: Grey suit pants, black suit jacket; Burberry tie.

3. Interviewee at on-campus interviews, major law school: Light grey socks, black suit.

4. Triathalon, the Hamptons, elite competitor: bright red thong and nothing else. Parents covered children's eyes.

5. Office: a classic; white socks, business shoes. May or may not have been worn by my husband. May or may not currently be suffering through horrendous guilt that a wardrobe check was not done before someone left for work.

6. Rare, a burger place (albeit with delusions of grandeur): three women in sequins, head to toe (yes, including shoes).

Remember, about forty people on this board recently went to WorldCon. While this may make it seem like an excellent time for this thread, I suspect our fashion senses haven't recovered from the shock. :P

(Personally I've suppressed some of the memories...)

Remember, about forty people on this board recently went to WorldCon. While this may make it seem like an excellent time for this thread, I suspect our fashion senses haven't recovered from the shock. :P

(Personally I've suppressed some of the memories...)

Good point, and duly noted. Apologies if I've brought back any unpleasant memories. . . .I only have my imagination :wideeyed:.

I was really thinking of the more garden variety faux pas - I mean, I see plenty of weirdness in NYC, but where it is intentional weirdness (and not some Upper East Side dingbat who thinks that "gladiator" style sandles in gold look really good accesorized with Donna Karan), I give the person a pass - it's a statement, and I respect that, as unfortunate as that statement may be. :)

I admit to wearing my tee-shirts tucked into my shorts, with a belt. I noticed in the group photo I was the only person doing this. My age is showing.

I think its time for that to come back. My work outfit is baggy t-shirt and cargo pants with a wide belt, and i'm gradually working up the confidence to tuck shirts in, which I haven't done in a decade. Its more comfortable, and maybe I have a freak figure, but I think it looks better than a shirt hanging tent-like half way to my knees.

I also realized recently I haven't worn matching socks since I left the army - there was no point in putting socks in pairs when they were all the same, and I haven't been able to get the habit back, and whenever I need two socks I can never be bothered to find a matching pair. (Oh, aye. With sandals too.. though rarely)

I saw a guy wearing a business suit and flip-flops the other day. Does that count?

:lol:

I don't know whether to be more horrified or more amused.

I was going to mention flip flops actually, since the office next to ours has like no dress code what so ever and people show up in brightly coloured t-shirts, shorts obviously meant for beachwear and flip flops.

I'm sorry but flip flops have never been an acceptable type of shoe to wear to work.

:lol:

I don't know whether to be more horrified or more amused.

I was going to mention flip flops actually, since the office next to ours has like no dress code what so ever and people show up in brightly coloured t-shirts, shorts obviously meant for beachwear and flip flops.

I'm sorry but flip flops have never been an acceptable type of shoe to wear to work.

I am actually currently wearing flip flops at work (in my office, behind closed doors). In my defense, I rubbed my feet raw with a pair of new shoes yesterday, and despite many bandaids, the flips are the only things that I can wear without excruciating pain (it would be that or my trainers, and it's too hot outside for that). That said, if I have to leave my office, I have a different pair of heels that I can manage for short trips.

In my defense, I rubbed my feet raw with a pair of new shoes yesterday, and despite many bandaids, the flips are the only things that I can wear without excruciating pain (it would be that or my trainers, and it's too hot outside for that). That said, if I have to leave my office, I have a different pair of heels that I can manage for short trips.

I'm totally doing the same thing! Only my blisters are from an unfortunate incident with strappy sandals on Saturday and my feet are still in horrendous pain. I had to put 8 bandaids on my feet this morning...still! I'm actually in bare feet at the moment but everytime I go out my door, my shoes are back on. Ouch!

Anyway my recent fashion faux pas siting was this morning on the way to work. A very nicely dressed young woman with a light grey skirt and jacket suit set and light pink t-shirt and NEON GREEN CROCS on her feet.

I wore Birkenstocks with my kacki's and SUPER-plaid long sleeve polo to the Hugo awards. I'd have put on nicer shoes normally (I'd have worn a suit to something like this normally), but I only packed my Birkenstocks.

Here's photographic evidence of my attire that evening. You can't see the birks, but trust me, they're there.

Lady N.,

I still love Bronn Stone's quote about Crocs. "Crocs are for people look at flip-flops and say, 'nope too formal.'"

My gf recently came over wearing very gaudy flip flops. The straps were covered in gold tinsel. She was trying to defend them until my cat came over took on look and attacked them. That's when she agreed with me those should never be worn again. Any article of clothing a cat mistakes as a toy should be banned.

People have been taking major advantage of the weather and the relaxed dress code at work. So much so that while I was out, a very stearn reminder was sent out by senior management about what is and is not appropriate.

Tank tops, not matter how many, are not appropriate (I am wearing two today and had to run out an buy a top to go over them---I normally wear a sweater or blouse over them, and this is ok---heaven forbid anyone catch a glimpse of shoulder) I had >600 emails when I got back...I did not read that one :blush:

Flip flops that disguise themselves as sandles. I have no idea if this includes my 3" black heels or not. I know my white ones with the rhinestones are now forbidden.

Archived