Fashion Faux Pas You Have Seen Recently

Mlle. Zabzie

"Crocs are for people look at flip-flops and say, 'nope too formal.'"

LOL! I would say Crocs are appropriate for 3 year olds...unless they are near escalators, apparently...and adults whilst in their garden or at the beach. But I have yet to see them anywhere else where they really look right. And frankly, I tried on a pair once and I didn't find them all that comfortable.

I'm going to guess a lot of these footwear mismatches have to do with uncomfortable office footwear, and putting on different shoes at work. (I used to do this--left 2 pairs of shoes at the office in a drawer, and would put them on once I got to work, but since I often had to be able to "bus surf" on the way there, or would have a long walk somewhere afterward, I would wear different shoes to get there.)

I think its time for that to come back. My work outfit is baggy t-shirt and cargo pants with a wide belt, and i'm gradually working up the confidence to tuck shirts in, which I haven't done in a decade. Its more comfortable, and maybe I have a freak figure, but I think it looks better than a shirt hanging tent-like half way to my knees.

I also realized recently I haven't worn matching socks since I left the army - there was no point in putting socks in pairs when they were all the same, and I haven't been able to get the habit back, and whenever I need two socks I can never be bothered to find a matching pair. (Oh, aye. With sandals too.. though rarely)

How about buying shirts that fit so that tucking them isn't a nightmare, and wearing them untucked doesn't result in a look that screams computer science major at college?

LOL! I would say Crocs are appropriate for 3 year olds...unless they are near escalators, apparently...and adults whilst in their garden or at the beach. But I have yet to see them anywhere else where they really look right. And frankly, I tried on a pair once and I didn't find them all that comfortable.

They are, however, very common in hospitals and are standard footwear for OR staff. There's another variant of Crocs without holes and a thicker sole that seems to be popular too.

I've noticed a lot more fashion blunders since moving to Denver than I ever did in Blacksburg (maybe you can just get away with more when you're 18, but in general, there were mostly a whole lot of jeans and t-shirts- not fashionable but not stupid looking). I frequently see hair styles here that make me cringe- especially skunk hair. What would possibly make someone think that looking like you have a little scruffy bleached animal on top of your head is a good idea?

If your stomach sticks out farther than your boobs, wearing a black half-sweater on top of a neon shirt isn't doing you any favors.

I look at most of these fashion "faux-pa's" and say, "thats an interesting mode of dress" and move on. I like being fairly non-judgemental in what people choose to wear in their free time*.

Corporate attire is a different matter altogether. Their house, their rules. I would be a little annoyed at the oppressive nature of some of their requirements, but then again I work in academia.

*-wearing white socks right now. I own a bunch of them for gym use, so sue me.

How about buying shirts that fit so that tucking them isn't a nightmare, and wearing them untucked doesn't result in a look that screams computer science major at college?

Uniform shirt, alas. I usually wear shirts that are either close to tight, or quite short, but theres a limit to how much I can chop up my uniform (and I want it to be long enough to cover my gun, which is an extremely silly look but ocassionaly necessary) and I need it to still be loose enough to be comfortable for hiking and so on. Fashion is not quite my top priority in this job, but still, the tent look bugs me.

Watcher, you just came out as a nudist.

I'll admit my cat does a good job of defending laundry that's right out of the dryer, but that doesn't make them a cat toy.

I'll admit my cat does a good job of defending laundry that's right out of the dryer, but that doesn't make them a cat toy.

One of our cats likes carrying around balled-up socks, footies, and ESPECIALLY nylons, like prey. We find them in all kinds of funny places.

Guest Raidne

I, personally, everday wear some sort of dress pants or skirt with flip-flops on my way to work. I have a pair of black pumps, off white sling backs, and brown mary janes in the bottom drawer of my second file cabinent. It's a regular shoe closet in there (also stocked with various heel and ball of foot pads, invisible blister pads (these are awesome - buy some immediately), and band-aids. I give a lot of thought to this whole feet thing. I spent the first three months in D.C. not caring about what shape my feet were in - never again. Blisters on top of blisters compounded by cuts - no way.

At any rate, that's distinctly not my choice of footwear for the day - it's temporary. It's like me criticizing you because your bike doesn't match your outfit. I would have said roller blades, but I know people probably would have objected to them in their own right.

Not so much anymore, but over the winter I saw TONS of black tights with brown boots. The horror. I also see a lot of pleated dress pants. And leggings not, you know, under things.

But, for the most part, D.C.'s not bad. I've got to go to Virginia to witness the truly awful.

so, where I work there are two guys that wear SHORTS every single day period.

two classic looks. the heavy set guy with cargo shorts, socks, tennis shoes and a tucked in Camp (Hawaiian shirt)

or

the scruffy, t-shirt, cargo shorts and tevas with or without socks

IN AN OFFICE?

I think back to another job. I had one guy who was basically clueless about dress. Think Nick Burns your IT guy <G>. He insisted on wearing a white shirt, Disney tie and pocket protector every day. He augmented this fine look with white socks and doc Martens. Much to his wife's delight, I tried to coach him on appropriate office dress, to help him elevate how people saw him.

He shows up at the xmas part one year in a beautiful suit. He's so proud. His wife picked it out for him. He is so proud, he shows the label he left on the sleeve. I didn't have the heart to tell him that it was supposed to have been removed.

I, personally, everday wear some sort of dress pants or skirt with flip-flops on my way to work. I have a pair of black pumps, off white sling backs, and brown mary janes in the bottom drawer of my second file cabinent. It's a regular shoe closet in there (also stocked with various heel and ball of foot pads, invisible blister pads (these are awesome - buy some immediately), and band-aids. I give a lot of thought to this whole feet thing. I spent the first three months in D.C. not caring about what shape my feet were in - never again. Blisters on top of blisters compounded by cuts - no way.

At any rate, that's distinctly not my choice of footwear for the day - it's temporary. It's like me criticizing you because your bike doesn't match your outfit. I would have said roller blades, but I know people probably would have objected to them in their own right.

Not so much anymore, but over the winter I saw TONS of black tights with brown boots. The horror. I also see a lot of pleated dress pants. And leggings not, you know, under things.

But, for the most part, D.C.'s not bad. I've got to go to Virginia to witness the truly awful.

I agree. wearing comfortable shoes and changing in the office became an acceptible practice around 1988.

I never see black tights with brown boots. Black shoes go with everything, including bronw. Brown shoes don't go with black clothing.

If your stomach sticks out farther than your boobs, wearing a black half-sweater on top of a neon shirt isn't doing you any favors.

Seriously. Every time I see that here in Denver, I wonder how this city continously gets rated as one of the fittest cities in America. Weird.

My contrubution to the Fashion Faux Pas would be the dude in the SUPER-TIGHT madras shorts, matched with sandals with socks. Horrible.

He shows up at the xmas part one year in a beautiful suit. He's so proud. His wife picked it out for him. He is so proud, he shows the label he left on the sleeve. I didn't have the heart to tell him that it was supposed to have been removed.

:lol:

I also often see people who (whether intentionally or not) did not cut the basting stitch for their coat vent.

Nobody's ever accused me of possessing a fashion sense, but this truly offends me.

If someone has really nice legs like that, they can wear short shorts all they want. For the rest of us, it is better to wear something else.

Ahhh, I've been waiting for a thread like this one. Because there is one thing that I don't get at all. It's the reappearance of the most dreadful, fugly type of hair-cut. The mullet. Yes, apparently, it has somehow hibernated through the 90's only to come back amongst the local chavs with a vengeance. It's so terrible, I don't even know where to look! Also, they like to combine it D&G Sunglasses and beard that look like they've drawn them with kohl. :ack:

Is there no sense of dignity left amonst these people? How can you leave the house with a motherfucking mullet on your head??

I feel your pain. I currently work retail and I see a lot of fashion faux pas. I spent today performing public service: attempting to dress men, trying to steer them towards the light. I just sent one guy to a wedding actually looking good. He wanted summery colours for a casual ceremony so I picked white slacks with grey pinstripes, a deep lilac fitted shirt, and a purple and white striped tie. I must say, he looked rather sharp. So there's one person out there dressed properly for an occasion tomorrow.

You won't believe how many men don't know their shirt/neck size or how a shirt or suit is supposed to fit. And you won't believe how many men come in asking for gaudy clothing. I've only been here a couple of months and I've had several people ask for "flashy", "shiney" shirts for "clubbing". Sorry, but we tend to only sell tasteful clothing.

Edit:

And people don't seem to realise that skinny jeans aren't meant for everyone. If you have globs of flesh being squeezed out the tops of your trousers, maybe you need to try a new fit.

Archived