Fashion Faux Pas You Have Seen Recently

Mlle. Zabzie

D.C., on the other hand, is more guilty what I see outside of this club Josephine's on the weekends where my husband likes to count how many of these girls waiting in line would pass the junk test, i.e. if they were dudes, are their dresses so short that their junk would be hanging out? We're at about a 50% ratio. Ladies, this is what tights and leggings are for.

Hmmm, where is this place exactly?

I cant deny that I have very little fashion sense. And, in light of that, I just try to keep it pretty simple.

One thing that I see a lot is dudes that wear shirts that are way way too small for them. Like they were really tired when they got dressed that morning and accidentally grabbed a t-shirt out of thier little sisters room. I dont know if its really a faux pax, but it just makes me think... hey man youre 29, probably time to start shopping in the men's section. Theres a bar in my old neighborhood where the entire staff dresses this way and it really kinda cracks me up. Five grown men in there and if you sewed all thier shirts together you might be able to make one shirt in the size that they actually need. Of course these guys I'm talking about are more like the skinny hipster sorta types. But, it is also funny when a really jacked guy does it too, but now we're crossing into 'my new haircut' territory.... which is a different thing entirely.

The worst I usually see is teenage girls at the mall who don't know that they have to keep their legs together on an escalator while wearing a short skirt.

Either I haven't seen an escalator in a really long time, or I haven't ogled teenaged girls in a really long time (OK, it's both) but I'm not sure what the big deal is here. :dunce:

Featured in the Washington Post Style section today, a shot of supposedly well-dressed people on the street with a short interview about their personal style that includes a woman wearing a black dress with a brown leather belt and brown purse.

The no-brown-and-black rule is pretty outdated these days. With the right brown, it could look good with black.

Heels, hemline, handbag. It's not a hard rule! :P

(For those who don't know the rule, it's that they should all match).

The same with matching bags and shoes. They have to look good together, they don't need to match.

Either I haven't seen an escalator in a really long time, or I haven't ogled teenaged girls in a really long time (OK, it's both) but I'm not sure what the big deal is here. :dunce:

I suspect it is because it allows anyone standing behind them on an escalator...so beneath them...can see what exactly they have on or don't have on under that short skirt.

I've been subjected to this when shopping more than once and more often than not what is under there would constitute a fashion faux pas. Not that I want to see. But when its in front of your face like that sometimes you can't look away quickly enough.

The no-brown-and-black rule is pretty outdated these days. With the right brown, it could look good with black.

I mostly agree. Why is it ok to wear black and navy together, but not black and brown? (I think black and navy looks worse, but I guess it depends on the brown.)

Of course this is coming from someone who does not own a brown handbag anyway, and who has little sense of what actually matches. :unsure:

I love flip flops but I never really wear them anymore. If I'm about to go out and I'm wearing flip flops, I think, 'wait, what if I have to run at some point.' Which basically never happens, but I like to be prepared to flee the scene if necessary.

I love flip flops but I never really wear them anymore. If I'm about to go out and I'm wearing flip flops, I think, 'wait, what if I have to run at some point.' Which basically never happens, but I like to be prepared to flee the scene if necessary.

Unfortunately, such is not the case with most women's shoes which are considered "acceptable". In fact, it's probably easier to run, or at least walk quickly, in flip flops over most "nice" shoes. Someone here will probably try to convince me otherwise, so I will say in advance that I can't walk in ballet flats; they give me foot cramps from trying to hold on with my toes.

ETA: Luckily I no longer have to look acceptable for polite or fashionable society. ;)

Unfortunately, such is not the case with most women's shoes which are considered "acceptable". In fact, it's probably easier to run, or at least walk quickly, in flip flops over most "nice" shoes. Someone here will probably try to convince me otherwise, so I will say in advance that I can't walk in ballet flats; they give me foot cramps from trying to hold on with my toes.

Hold on with your toes? Are you sure you're wearing the right size?

I suspect it is because it allows anyone standing behind them on an escalator...so beneath them...can see what exactly they have on or don't have on under that short skirt.

I've been subjected to this when shopping more than once and more often than not what is under there would constitute a fashion faux pas. Not that I want to see. But when its in front of your face like that sometimes you can't look away quickly enough.

I guess I'll have to go find an escalator to wrap my brain around this. Maybe I'm too tall or the escalator I've used in the past weren't steep enough?

Because I refuse to believe I didn't key into this as a mall-going, pervy teen. (Yeah ladies, that kid walking around with his hat brim pulled down over his eyes? He's eyeball groping every pair of breasts in this place!)

Hold on with your toes? Are you sure you're wearing the right size?

I have oddly shaped feet.

Seriously, though. I'm sure flats work for some people, but not for me. Just wish they made nice-looking shoes that tied up for women, along the lines of men's dress shoes, which I hear are uncomfortable as well, but there's at least a chance of escaping the runaway cement truck that is heading right toward me (onoz!) while I am crossing the street. Or whatever.

Someone here will probably try to convince me otherwise, so I will say in advance that I can't walk in ballet flats; they give me foot cramps from trying to hold on with my toes.

I have this problem as well. The toe end of my feet is wider than the heel end. If they are wide enough for my toes, most shoes are too wide for my heel and I will walk right out of them unless there is a strap to hold my foot in or I grip with my toes. So this pretty much eliminates most ballet flats for me.

Maybe I'm too tall or the escalator I've used in the past weren't steep enough?

I'm tall but on the other hand I live in a very vertical city so maybe the escalators here are steeper.

Guest Raidne
Hmmm, where is this place exactly?

14th St, by L. Please heed what I said back in that whole bit about "not easy."

I think the whole aesthetic appeal of most women's shoes is the idea that you can't run away in them. Sick, but true. And I still like high heels anyway. What can I say? They make my legs look better.

I think the whole aesthetic appeal of most women's shoes is the idea that you can't run away in them. Sick, but true. And I still like high heels anyway. What can I say? They make my legs look better.

Damn. Someone's on to our fashion/shackle scheme.

Black and navy is actually a faux pas. It's terrible. Black goes with black, navy goes with navy. It is known.

I tried to walk out of the house once with a navy shirt and black pants. My sister (an EMT) stopped me and informed me that the only people who are allowed to wear black and navy are firefighters and paramedics. Because every firefighter t-shirt is navy and I guess they all wear black pants.

So there's one lesson I learned without a board intervention. Actually, I feel pretty good about this thread. Usually when fashion faux pas threads come up, there's something I've been doing, but I think I'm safe so far.

14th St, by L. Please heed what I said back in that whole bit about "not easy."

Pfffft, I'm not going to a freakin' dance club. I just wanted to know when I'm in the area so that I can keep an eye out for observational purposes.

Black and navy is actually a faux pas. It's terrible. Black goes with black, navy goes with navy. It is known.

Well I thought that, but then someone mentioned black going with everything except brown, and I thought, um, it doesn't go with a lot of colors. So I'm glad to hear it doesn't go with navy either. :) (Even though I still use a black bag when I'm wearing navy. :lol:)

Tssk tssk, crocs are far better than flip flops, and at least they got some coverage on the top side, which flip flops do not.

Plus who can walk in flip flops when all you have are two plastic straps mauling the soft tissue area between your first and second toe? I can't walk ten yards in flip flops before either falling over or being in terrible pain from the chafing around my toes.

Ugh, no thanks. My crocs cover the entire top side of my feet, and they're got the most amazing sole made of small plastic "studs" which is almost like getting a foot massage when walking.

And no, I still don't wear them to work. :P

In fact, I am wearing Hush puppies slip in sandals with a modest heal, since they are about the only foot wear I can stomach in this weather that will actually accomodate my now larger feet. :)

Re black/brown conundrum: I get around this by wearing knee high suede boots with a "patched" look, i.e. they are made up of patches of dark brown, beige, black and dark red suede. This way I can wear either black OR brown. Hah! :P(That said, I mostly go with brown anyway since I think it looks better.)

Yes, Crass adressed this in Bata Motel:

I've got a red pair of high-heels on

Tumble me over, it doesn't take much

Tumble me over, tumble me, push

In my red high-heels I've no control

The rituals of repression are so old

You can do what you like, there'll be no reprisal

I'm yours, yes I'm yours, it's my means of survival

Come on my love, I know you're strong

Push me hard, make me stagger

The pain in my back just doesn't matter

You force-hold me above the ground

I can't get away, my feet are bound

So I'm bound to sayThat I'm bound to stay

So come on darling, make me yours

Trip me over, show me the floor

Tease me, tease me, make me stay

In my red high-heels I can't get away

I've stabbed my heels so I am tall

I've bound my twisted falling fall

Turn, turn, turn, like a clockwork doll

Put in your key and give me a whirl

Tease me, tease me, the reason to play

In my red high-heels I can't get away

I'll be your bonsai, your beautiful bonsai

Your black-eyed bonsai, erotically rotting

Will my tiny feet fit your desire?

Warped and tied I walk on fire

Squeeze me, squeeze me, make me feel

In my red high-heels I'm an easy kill.

I took out the more disturbing parts of the song. You get the point though.

Wait, so we can't wear black t-shirts on jeans? Since when do brown and black not go together?

Sometimes I consider working outside of academia, but then I realize I'd have to learn rules such as the above, and it really doesn't seem worth the bother.

Archived