AussieCon 4

felice

Ok, so we have an "Alternative to AussieCon" thread, but nothing on the actual 2010 WorldCon? Who is going to be able to make it down under next year? I'm certainly hoping to attend, since it's as close as it ever gets, though my current financial situation isn't exactly conducive to such things.

just to erase all doubt - we will be going to AussieCon. Right now the plan is to spend about 3 weeks in Oz. George will spend a few days doing promo and book signings, in Melbourne, Sydney and perhaps a few more cities. I won't be on that part of the journey with him. I'll be at the convention center, doing whatever needs to done as minion to Boucher and Gelb.

We hope to have about 10 days of actual vacation, which to me means getting out to some small resort on the Great Barrier Reef for snorkeling and swimming, and going to Tasmania to snuggle wombats and do some birding.

So, Ser Stubby, we've got a year to increase the numbers of Aussie Bros to a group large enough to host the obligatory parties, and gather up some newbies to got out and search for hump of camel or whatever in the middle of the night at George's command. (Would September be in season for Morton Bay Bugs?)

Boucher told us in Montreal that fares are cheap cheap cheap right now, and that we can book in October, about 300 days before we'd leave, if I'm remembering correctly.

It's gonna be a good one, that I can guarantee.

I have been planning for Aussiecon since Denver last year.

It was the main the reason why I went to Finncon this year instead if Worldcon, a cheap way to meet George(and Parris of course) without the need to fly across the pond. Although I enjoyed Finncon that much that I'm thinking about going again next year.

There are other things which could change my travel plans for next year however.

My grandma want's to visit a relative in Tanzania and needs a person with at least limited english skills along.

However if everything goes as planned it will be possible for me to attend Aussiecon.

I'm gonna be upset if I fly for 20 hours and I don't get to see you two :P

Doesn't ser cam live down there!?

We have our memberships already. ;)

Cam does live down that way and we are certainly hoping to meet him.

going to Tasmania to snuggle wombats and do some birding

Tassie is the place to do that. We went to Bonorong Wildlife Park 4 years ago and got the wombat cuddle, birds, saw some devils being fed and got a koala cuddle as well.

As a long-time lurker and occasional poster here at Westeros, I've often felt the urge to join the brotherhood, but it's hard when you're stuck down here in Aus and all the cons are happening elsewhere in the world (usually in places with stronger currency than the Aussie dollar too). Now my wife and I are both really excited about Aussiecon, and finally getting a chance to meet George and Parris.

So how do I sign up to be a bannerless brother???

So how do I sign up to be a bannerless brother???

Just follow the link in Mr X's post above and have a look around. A bit closer to the actual event we'll start chucking up threads that will dish out more info out BwB activities, meeting places etc. All you have to do then is get yourself to Melbourne, turn up to the con/party, and be prepared to let the nerd in you run off the leash for a few days. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
(Would September be in season for Morton Bay Bugs?)

Hi Parris, your holiday plans sound great. It'll be so good to meet you and George. As for the Moreton Bay Bugs - yummmm! I think they're available year round, but as they're caught mostly in Queensland waters I'm not sure how easy they'll be to find in Melbourne! But I suppose that's the point of the quest!!

Pie floaters!! "Knights of the Floating Lump" has an AWESOME, evocative ring to it, dammit. :P

:leaving:

I've never actually had a pie floater, but pie and mushy pies is the bomb. Preferably from Harry's Cafe de Wheels, but I think that's only in Sydney!

Archived