AussieCon 4

felice

As one of the area heads (Program Ops), I hope that some of you might also find it in your hearts to volunteer at the convention, too :-> Glad we'll be seeing some of you there!

Smofbabe,

Can you please post here some of the areas that you might be short in for volunteers, so guys can get an idea of what they might be able to help out with?

Hi Parris

A great site on Tassie birds is http://tassiebirds.blogspot.com/ although it may be TOO much detail for someone just coming for a short visit :unsure:

It would be great if there was a book signing here in Hobart, but if not I hope I will be able to make it over to Melbourne !

The only down side of visiting Hobart is..... it's probably best to eat in Melbourne first :devil:

just to erase all doubt - we will be going to AussieCon. Right now the plan is to spend about 3 weeks in Oz. George will spend a few days doing promo and book signings, in Melbourne, Sydney and perhaps a few more cities. I won't be on that part of the journey with him. I'll be at the convention center, doing whatever needs to done as minion to Boucher and Gelb.

We hope to have about 10 days of actual vacation, which to me means getting out to some small resort on the Great Barrier Reef for snorkeling and swimming, and going to Tasmania to snuggle wombats and do some birding.

So, Ser Stubby, we've got a year to increase the numbers of Aussie Bros to a group large enough to host the obligatory parties, and gather up some newbies to got out and search for hump of camel or whatever in the middle of the night at George's command. (Would September be in season for Morton Bay Bugs?)

Boucher told us in Montreal that fares are cheap cheap cheap right now, and that we can book in October, about 300 days before we'd leave, if I'm remembering correctly.

It's gonna be a good one, that I can guarantee.

Smofbabe,

Can you please post here some of the areas that you might be short in for volunteers, so guys can get an idea of what they might be able to help out with?

Every area will need volunteers -- if attendees are willing to give us a couple of hours a day it would be greatly appreciated! Please send in a volunteer form. Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

I just bought my attending membership for Aussiecon. Still got hotels to sort out.

NOTE: To anyone who is thinking about going - the prices go up on 1st May 2010 by a substantial amount so make sure you buy your membership before the end of this month to get the lower rates :thumbsup:

http://www.aussiecon4.org.au/index.php?page=27

I just bought my attending membership for Aussiecon. Still got hotels to sort out.

NOTE: To anyone who is thinking about going - the prices go up on 1st May 2010 by a substantial amount so make sure you buy your membership before the end of this month to get the lower rates :thumbsup:

http://www.aussiecon4.org.au/index.php?page=27

Thanks for the hint MG. I only looked at rates at the beginning of the year and didn't realise they would go up again.

Hello everyone. This is my very first post on this forum, although I've lurked here for a little bit, and I'm a MASSIVE GRRM fan and have read aSoIaF 3 times (so far). I just saw about Aussiecon and I HAVE to go!! Meeting GRRM is my girlish nerdy dream. If I can't afford Aussiecon tho, is it likely that he will do any kind of meet and greet outside of the convention during his visit?? If not, then I have to save my pennies ASAP and actually find someone to go with!

Hi Silentrealm, welcome to the forum :)

Yes there will be some things going on outside the convention and you don't have to purchase a membership in order to come along and join in. The BWB always organise a mass dinner or lunch with George on one of the days during the con which you would be welcome at. Sometimes this is even a Noobs only event meaning the group can be quite small and you get a good opportunity to chat with him.

However, I do strongly recommend buying a membership if you can possibly afford it because the convention panels are really very good and well worth attending. I'm sure George will be doing a reading, probably from ADWD, and I'm sure you would not want to miss that. Your convention membership also gets you into the parties (although depending upon the quality of security you may be able to sneak in without a badge) and the BWB Worldcon Party is definitely not to be missed, especially if you want to go on the Quest and be knighted by George :)

Also while you may feel braver with a friend alongside you, if you get more involved on the forum, chat with other people you will start to make friends here and therefore you would be coming with us and would not be on your own.

Hope that makes sense and hope to see you there.

thank you Ser Mountain Goat! I'm thrilled to have joined, and I've decided I cannot miss meeting George so I will do anything I can to make sure I become a member ASAP. Fingers crossed that I get to know a few of you guys by then.

Hi All,

I am planning on taking some time off to go to AussieCon and I was thinking that for those flying in if it would make life easier I would be happy to pick people up from the airport etc and get them to their motels.

I am pretty excited about some of the names I see attending, just because I haven't been around for a while doesn't mean that I have forgotten them!

Sadly, I will also not be able to attend. However, that means I have a membership that can go to someone else. Obviously the membership is probably the least expensive thing about the trip, but if there's someone out there for whom this had been a stumbling block, I'm paying attention!

In other words, I have a membership with voting rights, want to go but can't, and would like to sell/transfer to someone who can attend. I figured I'd ask here first, before opening up to the other Aussiecon communities. I bought it so long ago that I don't even remember how much I paid, so if you're interested in the membership, PM me with any reasonable offer.

(Currency preferred over barter, and if the currency isn't going to be electronic it'll have to be Euro-based. But I did mean *any* reasonable offer, so, whatever! Pay me in an Amazon gift cert or some handmade jewellery, I don't ultimately mind.)

Is this offer still going?

sorry will PM you

So you've been wondering why you should give AussieCon the big bucks for a supporting membership, since you can't get to Melbourne, don't really need a new shiny WorldCon program book for the shelves, and aren't interested in voting for either the Hugos or site selection...

Maybe this can change your mind:

Downloads of most nominated stories, plus samples from longer works of fiction and non-fiction, links to art and much much more!

are part of the Hugo awards committee efforts to make sure that all eligible voters can make informed choices when voting

All for the low low cost of a supporting membership in AussieCon:

A$70

US$50

C$50

GB£25

€35

¥4,900

NZ$90

here's link to the membership page just click to discover how easy it is to purchase a supporting membership using PayPal or other payment methods.

And really, after you've read all that great work, won't you want to just vote for a couple of things you really liked but would have never gotten around to reading because they were published in a small magazine or anthology you didn't have the time or money to seek out earlier?

I give permission to c&p to your LJ, FB, or other social network this post so the word will get out that there's a pretty damn good bargain to be had in buying a supporting membership in AussieCon.

Now if you'll excuse me, I've got to go an download my Hugo packet and see what format will work with the new iToy....

Archived