Cricket VIII

Zoë Sumra

Broad now out, but the lead is a massive 415. It'll need a record chase by the time England are done. If I were to maintain a glimmer of hope of getting anything out of this match, it would be to bowl England out cheaply, get off to a flying start and then at least have England worried about the tiny possibility of getting the total. That might make it a little bit easier on the batsmen and buy time until the rain begins to fall in great big torrents that wash out six or so sessions. ;)

Well, can't bear to watch anymore. ;) Half past midnight and it's basically just a morbid curiosity about how badly we're going to get humiliated...bedtime for me!

Australia have made an excellent start here. Barring a collapse, there is no way 200-250 would have been enough for England, so it is well that the debutant went on to make an impressive hundred, and that they have a huge lead.

Incredibly, some betting agencies still have Australia with odds of 7/2 to win the Ashes. They are not completely out of it...but 7/2?

I've still got a glimmer of hope. I think Ponting is due for another big score, and I have this totally irrational feeling that he's decided this will be his final Ashes tour in England. The same goes for Katich, though it isn't so irrational in this case - it probably is his last innings in England in test match cricket.

So there you go English boarders. I've offered myself up as a willing sacrifice for your scorn when Australia crash and burn :P

Either way, it's been an interesting series. Not the same level of greatness as 2005, but fun and competitive none the less.

I doubt anyone has quoted an NFL quarterback when trying to inspire a team during the ashes, but I will cite John Elway in this situation:

"We've got them exactly where we want them!"

I too hope that Ponting makes a big score. Not just for the sake of the team, or for his probable last Test innings in Australia....but for self preservation too. I convinced my boss at work that he should swap out Katich for Ponting in his fantasy team because I felt that Ponting was 'due', and if he ends up scoring, our fantasy league might just be able to beat the history department (I'm a high school maths teacher). :P

The match is still gone despite the good 0/80 start. At any moment, another Aussie collapse could be precipitated - it's happened three times in the series already, and this pitch is ripe for producing a fourth. I wouldn't be surprised if we lost 5 wickets in the first session. Let's forget about a successful chase; no one has even gotten close to 500, and all those record chases were made on absolute roads and belters of pitches, and against mostly weak attacks (except for the recent West Indies chase against Australia).

The tiny, tiny 1% chance that we could get out of jail in this match is if we only lose, say, 3 or 4 wickets at most for the whole of Day 4. And then some rain comes calling and washes out a couple of sessions on the final day. For those Londoners out there, what's the weather forecast looking like? I heard that the rain was going to wait until the match had finished, but I'm still holding out hope that some rain or bad light might steal a bit of the last day's play.

Mind you, that requires us getting to the last day's play, which is going to be a tall task in itself. There never was a better time for Ponting to get his big score, or Hussey to find form, or Clarke to add another match-defining knock to his list. But it's going to be tough on this pitch, and Swann will be lurking around to bag a five-for, I reckon.

EDITED: This might be treason, but in preparation I have loaded up so that at least if England win I will reap a small windfall. ;) I've hedged everything except an Aussie victory, so I stand to make about $50 if England win and $300 if there's a draw (the draw odds were ridiculously long, like 25 to 1, and it looks like there might be rain on the 5th day). And well hey, if there's an Aussie victory, I can definitely stomach the loss of some money. :P

For those Londoners out there, what's the weather forecast looking like? I heard that the rain was going to wait until the match had finished, but I'm still holding out hope that some rain or bad light might steal a bit of the last day's play.

The weather forecasters' opinion's varied over the past few days. On Friday they said Monday could be half washed out; now it's looking like the rain will dissipate by the time it reaches London and any showers that hit any particular area may be heavy but will be intermittent. Depending on the quality of the Oval's drainage, it looks like we'll lose no more than a session, and probably less. Play may need to end early for bad light. Not today, though. Today's weather's superb.

EDITED: This might be treason, but in preparation I have loaded up so that at least if England win I will reap a small windfall. ;) I've hedged everything except an Aussie victory, so I stand to make about $50 if England win and $300 if there's a draw (the draw odds were ridiculously long, like 25 to 1, and it looks like there might be rain on the 5th day). And well hey, if there's an Aussie victory, I can definitely stomach the loss of some money. :P

Oh, I know a number of people who always bet against their national side winning, so they get some satisfaction either way. It's not that bad of you. :)

Apologies for seeing red a little bit earlier.

Well, I'm currently trying to rationalise something out of this match. Eventual defeat is inevitable of course, but I'd feel better for the guy if Hussey managed to come up with a good knock. Otherwise he's likely to be dropped from the team after this series...if I were a selector I would drop him, anyway. By all accounts he's a nice guy so it'd be good for him to get something out of it.

No doubt others will find this amusing...but I'm currently focusing my ire on the Australian team, trying to make myself hate them so defeat isn't that bad to stomach. :P Silly I know, but all these psychological games one plays is quite important in the grand scheme of things to keep one sane. I might be able to occasionally stomach mediocrity from an Australian team, and there certainly was a trot a year or two ago (after that home India series) where I really didn't like our team, but unfortunately I dislike England and its players (well, mostly Flintoff) so much that I can't really switch sides that easily, curses.

Now that I do think about it, though, apart from Flintoff there isn't anyone I really hate with a passion in England's lineup. ;) I didn't like Pietersen to start with, especially with his strutting, but now a few years on when he's actually proved he can back it up, I can appreciate his game. And well hey, Michael Clarke is in the Australian team and I don't like him...maybe I can work enough psychological tricks on myself to dampen this a bit...

Apologies for seeing red a little bit earlier.

Well, I'm currently trying to rationalise something out of this match. Eventual defeat is inevitable of course, but I'd feel better for the guy if Hussey managed to come up with a good knock. Otherwise he's likely to be dropped from the team after this series...if I were a selector I would drop him, anyway. By all accounts he's a nice guy so it'd be good for him to get something out of it.

No doubt others will find this amusing...but I'm currently focusing my ire on the Australian team, trying to make myself hate them so defeat isn't that bad to stomach. :P Silly I know, but all these psychological games one plays is quite important in the grand scheme of things to keep one sane. I might be able to occasionally stomach mediocrity from an Australian team, and there certainly was a trot a year or two ago (after that home India series) where I really didn't like our team, but unfortunately I dislike England and its players (well, mostly Flintoff) so much that I can't really switch sides that easily, curses.

Now that I do think about it, though, apart from Flintoff there isn't anyone I really hate with a passion in England's lineup. ;) I didn't like Pietersen to start with, especially with his strutting, but now a few years on when he's actually proved he can back it up, I can appreciate his game. And well hey, Michael Clarke is in the Australian team and I don't like him...maybe I can work enough psychological tricks on myself to dampen this a bit...

Jeor, your doing it wrong. Simply excise this entire series from your memory. Just like 2005 the series that never happened.

There was no Ashes in 2009. It was, uh, called off. Out of respect. For someone. These aren't the droids your looking for.

Jeor, your doing it wrong. Simply excise this entire series from your memory. Just like 2005 the series that never happened.

There was no Ashes in 2009. It was, uh, called off. Out of respect. For someone. These aren't the droids your looking for.

That's ridiculous there's no way to excise an Ashes series from the memory, England won a great series in 2005 and are now looking set to defend the Ashes with a win. ;)

That's ridiculous there's no way to excise an Ashes series from the memory, England won a great series in 2005 and are now looking set to defend the Ashes with a win. ;)

I see what you did there...

Archived