Football thread 13

Calibandar

Whoa, ESPN2 has live coverage of Liverpool v. Aston Villa. Didn't realize they were allowed to broadcast in the States?

Yeah, they picked up Setanta's games when they went bust. ESPN actually started broadcasting PL games the first weekend, but didn't get the rights until late Friday so they didn't advertise it. I think the games will mostly be on ESPN2, but I'm not sure what will happen once college football starts. It is very nice to have the games in HD.

Fox soccer is also showing games in HD, but you have to find the whatever channel FSN is in your area. FSC still doesn't have HD.

Screw Adebayor. He didn't want to be at Arsenal so good riddance. Hleb realized he made a mistake leaving and I'm sure Adebayor will, too.

So Liverpool have played two decent teams so far, and not turned up for either game.

To be fair, they were all over Villa in the second half, and had Gerrard not given away that horrendous penalty (Skrtel had Reo-Coker completely covered) straight after Liverpool's goal, the final score could have been very different. . But the absence of Alonso is painfully obvious to anyone with eyes. And there's just no cover for Torres. Kuyt, bless his soul, works like no one else, but it is really hard to believe the guy was ever the top scorer in the Eresdivisie. He has a penchant for missing sitters that is just uncanny. Rafa's vehement defense of Lucas must be some sort of attempt at psychological manipulation, everyone can see he's a liability. Voronin is a joke, and Babel looks as worse than he's ever done.

Unless Aquilani lights up the team, I think we're gonna struggle to make the top four.

I fucking hate Gillett and Hicks. Get the fuck out.

Same thing at Utd, isn't it? Shitty owners coming in and somehow gaining control of the club, despite lacking the financial muscle to really do so. It boggles the mind why either club gave it up so easily.

But yeah....doesn't look very good for Liverpool. Or Utd, really, but thankfully they've got the ground work in, so they're title chances aren't really hurt. Though it certainly would've been nice for them to invest a little, to turn them into a stronger team than last season and do the treble.

Friend of mine told me Anderson has apparently fallen out with Sir Alex and has been shown the door. I would not mind his departure, I prefer to see Scholes/Carrick/Fletcher in central midfield anyway.

I think if this Man U side can hold their own this weekend against Arsenal then they will have quickly recovered. Though I'd still like to see a special signing.

Liverpool are woeful. If you follow a defeat at Spurs with a home defeat like this you are going to have a very hard time even getting into the top 5 this year, hotly contested as it is.

Friend of mine told me Anderson has apparently fallen out with Sir Alex and has been shown the door. I would not mind his departure, I prefer to see Scholes/Carrick/Fletcher in central midfield anyway.

Scholes is past it though and Fletcher will never be world class while Anderson might be. I hope it's not true.

But if it is true I hope we buy Wilson Palacios off Spurs... >_>

Same thing at Utd, isn't it? Shitty owners coming in and somehow gaining control of the club, despite lacking the financial muscle to really do so. It boggles the mind why either club gave it up so easily.

But yeah....doesn't look very good for Liverpool. Or Utd, really, but thankfully they've got the ground work in, so they're title chances aren't really hurt. Though it certainly would've been nice for them to invest a little, to turn them into a stronger team than last season and do the treble.

I think we can all agree that ManU have had a nice little spell, though. Us Liverpool fans haven't exactly been spoilt with PL (and div 1) success the past 20 years.

Ghilas and Altidore looked like a very good combo up front for Hull.

Aye. It's a good boost for the team, not that they need it, at the moment. I think Arsene and the club must be really confident that this season is when it might happen for them, for the first time in....8 years? Something like that.

Edit: Also worrying to consider he might be available for the CL game tomorrow. Like we don't have enough to worry about. Hopefully the game has came too soon for him to participate.

Apparently fans are being advised not to leave Upton Park due to fighting outside. West Ham've had enough bad news this week (Calum Davenport, and Jack Collison's father); this is the last thing they needed - or the whole English game. Could this lead to any UEFA sanctions?

Well, it could seriously hurt England's world cup bid. But much more importantly, people could die.

It's not just Millwall fans kicking off, it's both sides. Kick them both out of the cup and force them to play league games behind closed doors.

More realistically, they'll both get small fines and anyone who can be identified on camera as causing trouble will be banned from going.

Quite ridiculous really. Could this be any more mishandled? Not sure what (if any) preparations the police took to stop something like this happening, but surely it could've been better. Who do you think the finger should be pointed at?

Apparently somewhere between 500 and 1000 police were provided for this match. I've tried to find some kind of statistic for what the usual police presence at, say, a Premiership match is and found this from 2004 to get the figure of 106 for "high risk" West Ham matches.

But this is a derby - one with particularly bad blood, and old firm history on both sides. I would be surprised if the police hadn't factored this in when allocating officers. I know from when I used to live near Upton Park, there were certain teams you knew would bring more trouble with them than others - and Millwall sure as hell would have been one of them. The estimated number of 500 to 1000 police officers being present shows that the police were well aware of the threat.

But this is a derby - one with particularly bad blood, and old firm history on both sides. I would be surprised if the police hadn't factored this in when allocating officers. I know from when I used to live near Upton Park, there were certain teams you knew would bring more trouble with them than others - and Millwall sure as hell would have been one of them. The estimated number of 500 to 1000 police officers being present shows that the police were well aware of the threat.

Yeah it does seem like the police couldn't have reasonably provided more security. What the hell is it with Millwall fans and crowd trouble?

Archived