Interlinking with Wiki's in other languages?

Scafloc

@Ghost in Winterfell, following on Ran post and Narwen comment, any chance you guys have a list of english/chinies article names? because it easy for you guys to add the other as you go over every article anyway, not so much for the rest of us(it took me forever to add english/russians one little by little everythime).

Also any chance you can point me to the location of your new Targarian tree image? I just seen but my browser decided to crush on me and no i cant find it again :(

btw, if someone know how to make a bot that can export a list of your interwikis(lets say csv file) and then import one, this can make the entire process very un painful to all the mediawiki's. (For that matter if anyone know how to make bot's, please send me a raven).

I know it is painful to add interlinks. As to a list of English/Chinese article names, we don't have it now. But I will think about it this weekend and see if I can make one, via bot preferably. I will put my update here.

The Targaryen tree image is here. The photoshop work is done by Ser Gawen(http://skyhigh0035.deviantart.com/), who is also our theme designer. I think he used thumbnails of amoka's work in this image.

%E5%AE%B6%E6%97%8F%E8%B0%B1%E7%B3%BB%E5%9B%BE1.3by_Gawen.jpg

Wow!!!! @Ghost in Winterfell, that family tree is amazing!!!!!!!!!!!! Seriusly, I love it more than I can say XD

About the interlink, I haven't received an answer yet, but I think the spanish wiki is growing very fast. Some more people are about to jump in into the editing, so I think it will continue woing well. If thats good for you for doing the interlinks, that will be awesome. If I can help in some way, just tell me :)

Ser Gawen's a fantastic artist. I love his take on the speculative world map. Can we steal him from you all? ;)

But, back to seriousness, we have interwiki linked now to the Chinese, Spanish, and Brazilian wikis. I have added the main page links already to the Wiki of Ice and Fire. My suggestion would be to try and get members of your wikis to join our forum and then contribute to the task of adding the appropriate interwiki links to matching articles (this is especially necessary for the Chinese wiki, I think, but I see Ghost of Winterfell's already working on the problem).

Ser Gawen's a fantastic artist. I love his take on the speculative world map. Can we steal him from you all? ;)

thx,Ran,U flatter me~

and I'd like to take this as a great honor. :laugh:

I'll keep working on it ~

(hope the official Map of Ice and Fire could be published sooner ><)

Your site is always my favorite :wub:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I got an incomplete list of English to Chinese Translations. But this one is very incomplete and terribly sorted. It is a collabative work by the community.

Also I will encourage our editors to add interlinks on aWoIaF but I can't control what they do.

Has anyone figured out how to use bot to add links?

http://zh.asoiaf.wikia.com/wiki/%E5%86%B0%E4%B8%8E%E7%81%AB%E4%B9%8B%E6%AD%8C%E4%B8%AD%E6%96%87%E7%BB%B4%E5%9F%BA:%E8%A7%84%E8%8C%83/%E5%90%8D%E8%AF%8D%E7%9A%84%E4%B8%AD%E8%8B%B1%E5%AF%B9%E7%85%A7%E8%A1%A8

Hi, I got an incomplete list of English to Chinese Translations. But this one is very incomplete and terribly sorted. It is a collabative work by the community.

Also I will encourage our editors to add interlinks on aWoIaF but I can't control what they do.

Has anyone figured out how to use bot to add links?

http://zh.asoiaf.wik...%85%A7%E8%A1%A8

I have been working on a macro that automatically adds the links. In theory it should work but during my tests the traffic on the wiki is so high that the macro always ends in errors (too many connections, Can't contact the database server: Unknown error (localhost)) and so on. I am not sure it this will work.

@Scafloc, If you can make it read(export) as well it would be best. Because the main problem would be not adding content, but adding correct content. there are about 2000 entries in their list and It would be hard to test each line(even if make bulk of 100 at time), from what I seen some names are not spelled exactly as our articles, so theoretically(depends on your macro) it can either start a new page or add it to a redirect...

So preferably if we can export the current one (open it in something like excel/spreadsheet and it there).

ETA: I sent you a link.

I was planning on making a really simple macro: all interlinks with the correct article in excel. Then run the macro and all links are added.

If the macro has to take into account that the article may not be correct then there should be some kind of error handling. That would also have to take into account that the link may not have been added because of problems with the server. That adds considerable complexity to the macro. I may be easier to change the data in the excel into sql insert statements that can be run directly on the database.

The query should be:

insert into langlinks

select page_id, [abreviation_of_foreign_language], [title_foreign_language_article]

from page

where page_title = [title of article on awaoif]

and not exists (select 1

from langlinks

where langlinks.ll_from = page.page_id

and ll_lang = [abreviation_of_foreign_language]

)

This way there is already a check if the article is correctly named and if there is already an interwiki to a certain language.

For example to add the Chinse interlink (阿贝拉·海塔尔) to the article 'Abelar Hightower' the query would be:

insert into langlinks

select page_id, 'zh', '阿贝拉·海塔尔'

from page

where page_title = 'Abelar Hightower'

and not exists (select 1

from langlinks

where langlinks.ll_from = page.page_id

and ll_lang = 'zh'

);

NB I think that the abbreviation of the Chinese wiki is zh.

Well yesterday and this morning (CET) the wiki ran pretty smooth so I worked a bit on the macro. And it is working! There are still some issues but for most of them there is a workaround.

As a result around 800 interlinks have been added!

Well yesterday and this morning (CET) the wiki ran pretty smooth so I worked a bit on the macro. And it is working! There are still some issues but for most of them there is a workaround.

As a result around 800 interlinks have been added!

That is so cool.

Did you build a database? How does your Macro recognize which should be linked to which?

Well, I used the list you linked to in your previous post, a file that Mor made and a few short lists I made manually myself.

So there is no automatic recognition on article names. What I plan to do in the future is to query the api for links that are already made and than do a comparison like "English article A links to French article 1, which links again to Chinese article @ therefore A should link to @"

The creation of the links itself is done in the following steps:

-query the api to get an intoken for a page.

-use the token to get the api to append to the current article the interwiki link

The process is done with iMacros (automates the api query and append text api). The macro itself is triggered by VBA to be able to go through an Excel list with corresponding articles.

I also tried to create a number of interwiki links on your wiki but most of these failed because the Chinese characters of the article names could not be recognized by the api. I suspect that the browser of iMacros does not recognize them.

It seems that the Spanish wikia administrator did not allow interwiki links from hieloyfuego to our wiki (as there is a small English wiki). That is a bit strange as the interlinks are in place on the Chinese wikia. So I his Chinese colleage did not mind.

I sent him a reply pointing out why it would be beneficial to have links to and from Awoiaf. Let's wait with creating additional links to the Spanish wikia for now.

Hi Scafloc, there is a small matter that needs your attention. The list I provided contains surnames and first names in different places. It is a bit tricky to translate English names to Chinese names.

As you may know, Chinese doesn't have white space between words. Formally, when it comes to foreign names, Chinese has a special mark, a tiny dot(·) that separates first name and family name to avoid confusion.

In Chinese, Barrak Obama becomes 巴拉克·奥巴马, Bran Stark becomes 布兰·史塔克, and Mirri Maz Duur becomes 弥丽·马兹·笃尔.

Centainly it will add some complexity to your code...Hope it will not be a big problem.

Oh wait..I just noticed that I got a profile picture... Gravatar is implemented...

Archived