NFL Thread: Bengals win the Super Bowl

Mexal

I'm also kinda surprised that they'd care about the cap space for 2010 as well, given that there's every indication that there will not be a cap come 2010. And it's not like the Pats are hurting for money, either; they could easily outspend almost anyone...

I think the issue will be after 2010; nobody seems to think that the salary cap will be forever lost after 2010. It will be back in some form. Therefore, any long term deals would effect the future ability of the Pats to effectively maneuver the team financially. This would also not happen in a vacuum; other teams would have offered Seymour a ton of money and for a longer term and that would force the Pats to sign Seymour for more money than they were willing. Theoretically. Its also possible Seymour would have given the Pats a "home team" discount, but I think that is wishful thinking.

With all that said, as the Pats develop this way, what's interesting is this: they may eventually do away with the high flying offense, and instead rely on a solid (not spectacular) running game and a QB who just does not make mistakes; who manages the game and makes the passes he has to. And the real strength of the team will be young defensive players who are always clawing to keep the game close and at times, wins the game for the Pats on its own.

In other words, it will be the Pats 2001.

ETA: As far as losing leadership, the names people toss around- Vrabel, Brushci and Harrison had each lost a step or two over the last few seasons; and Harrison was perpetually injured at times. Therefore, I really think that their loss will not be one that will impact the game itself on a player v. player level. However, only time will tell if losing the player's "intangibles" will be felt. That I cannot say, but hope only that the players that are there and the coaches can keep that focus there.

Seymour plays hard when he wants to. He has a chip on his shoulder at the moment, and so he looked like he can look when he wants to. Good for Oakland.

I was at a game a few years ago where Seymour didn't start because he pissed off Belichick for somee reason. When he finally came in he was on fire for a series. Made 3 plays in a row. He made his point... and then promptly disappeared for the rest of the game.

Seymour is as good as anyone in the league when he is motivated. I just always wished he was more motivated.

As for trading him now? It was shocking at first glance, and appeared more brilliant the more I considered it. Now it seems like rape and pillage of Oakland, but I suppose that's only my opinion.

The best thing about the trade, IMO? It says that Belichick plans to be in NE in two years. It hints that he will be here longer than that, even. Belichick is the real star of this football team, folks. Hell, they were pretty damn successful, even without Brady. Their defense survived without Ty Law, Lawyer Milloy, Ted Washington, Ted Johnson, Rosevilt Colvin, Asante Samuel, etc, and they will survive without Tedy Bruschi, Rodney Harrison, Richard Seymour, and Junior Seau.

Win now mode? That is for non-Belichick led teams. He knows anyone is replaceable and he's not afraid to replace them.

Eagles RT Shawn Andrews is out for the season and Winston "Osi Hate Me" Justice will be the starter. They also signed Jeff Garcia though I also think they will sign Jon Runyan soon.

I think NFC East pass rushers are salivating.

Stego: I think having 3 rings gives BB the benfit of the doubt with making the Seymour trade. Fans know he is looking at the future while believing he can right the ship this year.

A team like the Vikings could never get away with trading say DT Pat Williams (yes I know he's much older) because they would cut huge into winning NOW which the Vikings have to do.

Eagles RT Shawn Andrews is out for the season and Winston "Osi Hate Me" Justice will be the starter. They also signed Jeff Garcia though I also think they will sign Jon Runyan soon.

I think NFC East pass rushers are salivating.

Was an impressive dismantling by the Eagles in Week 1, but man does that team look cursed. Big time injuries already to Bradley, Andrews and McNabb. Least they picked up Garcia for insurance. But even there, it gives the Eagles 3 QBs who've started and won a ton in this league...two of which (heck, three if you count Kolb) who both have in the past and are currently making McNabb even more insecure than usual. Throw Winston Justice into the starting lineup and McNabb, cracked ribs and all, will be insecure in the pocket as well.

Yeah pressure makes diamonds, but most of the time it just crushes things.

Okay, I just had to toss in this quote from Charles Barkley, talking about Shawne Merriman (I think) from Football Outsiders' excellent "Week in Quotes" feature (which does sorely miss the wisdom of Herm Edwards):

I just got to say that you know when you read the 'crawl' on the dude? Shawn Marion? Oh man you can't do that and I am like: I have heard that name Tila Tequila before. And I asked my daughter. She loves trash TV. She watched Flava Flav, she watched those nutty Kardashian people. I called my girls: Who is Tila Tequila? She said: Dad, she is a bisexual girl on that show where she dates men and women. You are kidding me right? He went for that? I wanted to say: Bro, you are Shawn Marion. I don't have to get my girls off of reality TV.

An in further news in Buffalo:

McKelvin's Front Lawn Vandalized

Hamburg police on Tuesday confirmed the home of a Bills player was vandalized, but declined to release details of their investigation after an obscenity and the score of Monday night’s game—a 25-24 loss to the Patriots— were painted in white on the player’s lawn in suburban Buffalo.

Just wrong.

Archived