College Football 2009

S John

I thought since the other thread was at 20 pages, and the first Saturday of CFB starts tomorrow, that now was as good a time as any to make a brand new thread for a brand new year.

So far we've had a snoozefest and a slugfest (literally). What joys will tomorrow bring?

Even though the Mounties open with cupcake Liberty I feel like I will be able to glean a lot about where we stand as a team. We let 'Nova hang around way too much last year which was the precursor to a decent but not great year. Liberty is supposedly a decent FCS team, so I'm thinking a total beat-down will be a ray of hope, but a sloppy game with too many visitor points on the board will be a less than stellar omen. Thank God I get ESPN360. Can't wait to watch the Mountaineers at noon.

Edit: Shit, I'm a dumbass. Would the Mods mind moving this to entertainment?

Had to check out my new avatar to make sure I did it right... here's to hoping the kid has really improved his arm as much as the reports say!

Bring on the foosball!!!! (At least until basketball season starts anyways...)

:leaving:

I went to a bunch of bars in Atlanta last night and they were all packed with VT fans. It was a pretty impressive showing. Maybe the Bama fans will show up today. Dawgs game should be fun too.

Northwestern's up 28-0 in the 2nd qtr (against Towson which admittedly isn't much to brag about).

Today is a going to be a good day.

Andrew Luck, aka "The General" (that's what his teammates call him... and he's a redshirt freshman), debuts today at Washington State. Not that the game's even on TV anywhere that I can see. Oh well, if he doesn't catch swine flu, I guess that's a win: http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_13270103?source=most_emailed

ETA: For what it's worth, you could say Andrew Luck is the last Bill Walsh selected QB-- Walsh helped steer him Stanford's way, evaluating tape on a some of the top high school quarterbacks that year, shortly before he died in 2007.

Well WVU taking care of business for the most part. Both of Liberty's scores were set up by shoddy kick coverage, which really pisses me off. But, in general, so far both O and D look good. The offense looks better than I was expecting.

In other news: Syracuse is winning and they don't look terrible. Seventh sign of the apocalypse?

wow...Navy. only down 29-21 with 6 minutes to go. OSU methinks is gonna get beatdown bad by USC. Even with USC starting a true freshman at QB.

But that is next week. I love huge 1st week upsets. GO NAVY!

ETA: I had the wrong score

ah Navy. Just couldn't pull it off.

Effing Big 10 indeed. Iowa BARELY beat Northern Iowa, having to block TWO FG's in the last 10 seconds.

Well, hopefully Illinois can bring the conference back up against Mizz

Not such a good start to the season for the MAC, only two teams have their games so far, and both were against I-AA opponents. Well tonight at 9 we'll show these fools how its done! Go Bulls!

5 touchdowns and the first shutout in 7 years for ND. Not too shabby.

I still want some of whatever Lou Holtz was on when he called Weis the "most underrated coach" in football during halftime of the OSU - Navy game.

Not such a good start to the season for the MAC, only two teams have their games so far, and both were against I-AA opponents. Well tonight at 9 we'll show these fools how its done! Go Bulls!

I thought Western Michigan was in the MAC? Michigan is not I-AA, no shame in that loss.

ETA: By "have their games" do you mean won, or played? If you mean won then my post is silly.

a massive thank you to whoever mentioned ESPN 360. I didn't have internet or TV at my apartment, but I found a service provider that allows 360 and signed up for internet for 20/month and basically get to watch most all the football games I want to watch without having to pay for TV! I just hook my laptop up to my TV and boom, ready to go. Looks pretty good for internet streaming, a bit compressed, but not nearly as bad as I expected you can see the ball clearly, which is important.

The oklahoma BYU game is looking good. Bradford just got planted! Yay!

I got two teams I always want to lose, no matter if that hurts my teams for playing a weak opponent. I always want Notre Dame to lose and I always want Oklahoma to lose. hate those teams the most! :)

*holds up thumb and forefinger about a half inch apart* I was THIS close to picking both Ohio State and Penn State to not cover the spread. had the spread just been a point or two more I probably would have. dammit.

Archived