College Football 2009

S John

nah four cali colleges is more than enough. I would add BYU and Utah because they pair better. We can get boise if we drop one of the current teams in the pac 10

north: Washington, Washington State, Oregon, Oregon State, BYU, Utah

South: California, Stanford, USC, UCLA, Arizona, Arizona State

The only way I want to see the Pac 10 expand is if we poach Texas and Colorado ala 1996. It doesn't really matter anyway as the Pac 10 will not accept Boise State, BYU, or Fresno State for a number of (very solid) reasons.

Also our true round robin is awesome. Beats every other championship format hands down.

kirk ferentz is next if he doesn't straighten up his house.

I wasn't terribly impressed by the Hawks' performance, but Northern Iowa isn't exactly crap. They've pretty consistently been one of the best I-AA teams the past few years, and I wouldn't be surprised if they get to the championship game again this year.

Regardless, Iowa would have to not be invited to bowl games and/or have a number of losing seasons in a row before Ferentz would be on any sort of hotseat.

Leave him where he is. My beloved Cyclones have a pretty good track record against him.

Not recently.

Illnois bah. they were awful.

*shakes head* I know it. Zook is going to get fired if he doesn't pull out a bowl game. I am rooting for the rest of the B10 as my backup. Even Michigan (don't tell my husband!) Listened to some of their game on my drive back but turned it off when it was clear that it was going to be an asskicking. Wonder how their two QB rotation is going to work out.

Watched VT and Alabama last week and enjoyed it.. was a competitive game until the 4th quarter.

Didn't see that anyone had posted this in this thread...

[Terrelle Pryor explaining his support of Michael Vick] "Not everybody is the perfect person in the world,†Pryor said of Vick. “Everyone does — kills people, murders people, steals from you, steals from me. I just feel that people need to give him a chance.â€

They're probably making a T-shirt out of it up here. :lol:

Haha yea Clemson almost made me eat my words. If theyd have come out of the gate looking like that they probably wouldve won. GT came out looking very, very strong... a win is a win, but no style points in the end. Had them on the ropes and then almost lost the game.

Well, tomorrow we find out what the Mountaineers are made of. ECU was the only loss last year that was more than a one score final margin. In short, they kicked our asses. Nobody had kicked our ass like that in a long time. Sucks a big one that it came at the hands of the purple pirates of ECU.

Theyve got thier QB back, he had a field day with us last year... and we didn't exactly set the world ablaze last week either. I'm disapointed that we didnt beat Liberty by more, but I wont get too riled up becuase it was the first week. All the problems I saw were correctable, and we probably werent showing everything against an FCS opponent when the game was never in doubt.

Now that all that is out of the way. If we lose to East Carolina for the second year in a row, at home. I will begin my campign of writing angry letters and leaving irate messages, whatever it takes to get rid of Stewart. Last year we came out flat in almost every game. If we come out flat tomorrow, against a team that we should be fired up to crush into the ground, then Stewart will have proved himself a poor motivator indeed.

Stewart is a great cheerleader for the program, but if he cant fire these guys up for bloodshed tomorrow then he should be relegated to handing out worthers originals on the sidelines.

USC's linebacker, Chris Gallippo is very articulate:

http://espn.go.com/blog/pac10/post/_/id/25...b-chris-galippo

Your thing is you make a lot of tackles -- you're always around the ball. Against San Jose State, you also made a lot of tackles for a loss. Do you feel like you have a sixth sense -- something beyond reading your keys -- that you can anticipate what's about to happen with an offense?

CG: It's an instinct -- I don't know if you'd call it a sixth sense or anything like that. I think it comes from preparation and from seeing things over and over again. The more you see things, the more you're around things, you can kind of anticipate things. The more you're around your brothers and sisters you can anticipate how they will react. It's the same thing in football. The more you see the more you can anticipate. Watching film yesterday, we saw that San Jose State kept running that sweep with their receivers. They ran it twice but on the third time in the film -- and I didn't remember that I did this -- but in the film when the receiver starting coming, I just started walking up and they snapped and we made the play in the backfield. It's just about catching on and being smart enough to figure out what the offense is trying to tell you. The offense speaks a language to you, it's your job to interpret that language.

Road games are hard on offenses, but what does it mean for a defense to walk out in front of 100,000 people who don't like you?

Chris Galippo: It's a little different. When their offense is on the field, they won't be as loud -- at least until they get a first down or something like that, then the crowd erupts. So you have to get used to the rhythm of the crowd and use it to your advantage. You've got to thrive on turning the volume down instead of turning it up like when you're playing at home. But defense, to me, is so much different than offense. It's not so much assignments -- you go out there, you light your head on fire and you knock somebody out. I feel like it's a little more free.

Does this team thrive on hostile environments? Some of these guys talk like they enjoy being on the road more -- like, 'We're USC. We're the big show. We're taking over your stadium.'

CG: It's my first year starting but I love traveling. I love getting on the plane with the team, being on the plane for five or six hours, going across the country, being in a hostile environment, being in a hotel with people kind of looking at you funny. It's different. Then going out onto the field, 55 players and the coaching staff. It's like, that's it, those are our guys, all these other -- 100,000 or whatever -- that's all them. It's a cool feeling.

Give me your impressions of Ohio State quarterback Terrelle Pryor.

CG: He's a big guy. Anytime you've got a big guy like that with the speed he has it's going to be a tackle-emphasis week. Our tackling has to be spot on. He's not a guy you can just arm tackle. He sheds tackles and he can throw on the run. He's very dynamic in what he can bring to a football game. You've really got to be on your toes. He's the kind of guy that you stop an offense on first and second down and it's third and 15 and you drop back in coverage and all of the sudden he breaks for a first down. You've got to be ready for the those situations. And ready after those situations to go, 'OK, let's go another three.'

The rest of the interview is just as good.

Stanford uses that university reputation for cleverness and prepares their boys for the early Wake kickoff scientifically.

http://www.examiner.com/x-7570-Stanford-Ca...rd-this-weekend

“We are taking an Olympic approach to it,†Harbaugh says. “Our doctors have a template. It is how they treat Olympic athletes when they are going three time zones or more. So that is what we are following in terms of hydration and sleep patterns. Scientific!â€

The team will fly to North Carolina on Thursday rather than the normal Friday departure. Another big change, players will not be allowed to sleep on the plane. Harbaugh says the players will be sent to bed pretty much on arrival at the hotel on Thursday night, so he wants his players nice and tired when they get there so they can get a good night’s sleep.

ETA: Toldedo has outscored Colorado by a 10:1 margin! jesus, Colorado is awful, they may even lose to Iowa State!

Hah. I love having Jim Harbaugh as our coach, but he's a ridiculous person. I wonder if the doctors have the requisite enthusiasm unkown to mankind? The guy had Phil Hellmuth speak to the team earlier this week, and he actually flew out with them for the Wake Forest game tomorrow... apparently they had a bowling competition this afternoon, Harbaugh and Hellmuth vs. various players. I don't know if Phil freaking Hellmuth is really the example you want to give your team, but it is what it is.

Hah. I love having Jim Harbaugh as our coach, but he's a ridiculous person. I wonder if the doctors have the requisite enthusiasm unkown to mankind? The guy had Phil Hellmuth speak to the team earlier this week, and he actually flew out with them for the Wake Forest game tomorrow... apparently they had a bowling competition this afternoon, Harbaugh and Hellmuth vs. various players. I don't know if Phil freaking Hellmuth is really the example you want to give your team, but it is what it is.

I find this very funny for some reason. Of all the people you could pick to inspire your team.

Archived