Birthers... one more time

Dinsdale!

So I was having dinner with my father in law this evening and ended up having an argument with him about Obama and the birthers. He felt that Obama is currently paying too high a price for not releasing the full birth certificate to the public and that it would defuse the situation if he were to somehow order the Hawaiian hospital, or Department of Health and Human Services or whatever agency is in charge of this document to release the full form birth certificate. In his opinion, this would remove the credibility of the birthers. And these people are too wacky, and armed and dangerous, and something needs to be done to defuse them.

My counter-argument is that the position of the US government is not to negotiate with terrorists. Surely we shouldn't concede to the demands of these people just because they're heavily armed. That's an outrageous proposal and something so completely opposed to our ideals. The US administration should not under any circumstances allow itself to be bullied, least of all by a bunch of two-bit lunatic fringe hoodlums who are as in touch with reality as people denying the moon landings.

Furthermore, what good will it really do to release the full birth certificate? Will the birthers then accept that Obama really is a full natural born citizen and stop their complaints? Or would they simply say that the reason it took so long to be released was so it could be fixed? Or would they move on to their next demand. Which could be god knows what. That we don't believe Michelle Obama is really a woman and that we won't believe that until we see naked pictures of her. Or the results of some 'independent' test, say. What about the sexes of their kids? What if they're actually boys who are simply being forced to dress like girls? I want to see the proof!

Is the White House going to concede to that demand as well?

Now I realize this topic has been discussed... perhaps ad nauseum, but this was a new wrinkle, and it did lead to a rather 'spirited' debate at a family dinner, so I thought it worth bringing up. Since my father in law is by no means a conservative on pretty much any issue. But I think he's just dead wrong on this. And he clearly thinks I'm wrong :)

So what do you think?

Will the birthers then accept that Obama really is a full natural born citizen and stop their complaints? Or would they simply say that the reason it took so long to be released was so it could be fixed?

No matter how much proof you give these people, it won't matter. They'll refuse to believe it. Giving in to their demands should not be an option. Hopefully, the government will keep an eye on them.

Conspiracy theorists never lets facts get in the way of their version of the truth, and I don't see why birthers would be any different. Obama released the short form a long time ago, it even says on the damn certificate that it serves as prima facie evidence as proof of birth in any court proceeding and they still don't believe it. If they don't believe one perfectly valid and legitimate source why would they believe another one. Just like all other conspiracy theorists they will find something to object to, even the lack of evidence is seen as evidence of a cover up.

And I don't even want to know how they justify their belief that a 18 year old college student from Kansas living in Hawaii would fly half-way around the world in order to give birth in a Kenyan hospital.

In short, everyone with a brain should ignore these people, and that should include the media, give no press at all to things so blatantly false

One cannot negotiate with idiots

And Bush should have taken time out of his state of the union address to speak with the 9/11 was an inside job folks. Both positions make about the same amount of sense. Its a free country we allow all types of crazy people their own sets of delusions.

Archived