Women in combat, bad/good idea?

OldLordPlumm

Just so I'm understood, at this point in my life everyone putting on a fucking uniform breaks my heart. I'm a sexist pig, but the thought of women being tore the fuck up kills me. I make no fucking apologies for it.

ETA: Also, women trend towards horrible shots.

Really? Any idea why?

I'm pretty sure i can't do that either. At least the run part.

Had you graduated from Marine boot camp, you would be. What is at doubt in many minds is whether most women could acheive the same.

As said, if they fullfill the physical requirements then why not.

I can't comment on the psychological clap-trap which may well come with seeing a pretty girl being blown to bits, as i haven't (yet, touch wood) experienced it. I think this is an issue in which those experienced in the field should make the decisions.

Honestly though, please don't bring up hot female special forces soldiers making appearances in FPS. We all know who their target market is, so please... lets not go there.

I would prefer that American combat units be exclusively women. Might make the government think twice about sending them off to get killed for no reason any one can think of.

Women living closely together tend to synchronize. Sending a unit with collective PMS into combat might violate the CG.

Apart from that, if they want and can meet the same requirements as men, why not? There have been plenty of female soldiers in firefights in the recent and current wars, did anybody analyze their combat performance and compare them to that of their male equivalents?

If anyone can meet the requirements to join the forces they should be allowed.

BUT

Fuck gender parity, fuck affirmative action. The best people should get the job especially when their lives and the lives of other are at stake. If physical standards are lowered, I'd be vehemently against it as I'd hope many other would be. You'd be sacrificing a combat effective force for a politically correct one. Its their lives at risk.

In WWII the Russians used women as snipers, tankers, pilots, artillery gunners, and front line roles (medics, scouts). If a women can meet the physical requirements, there is no reason they cannot serve.

In WWII the Russians would've used fucking badgers if it gave them an edge over the nazis.

Just saying.

In WWII the Russians used women as snipers, tankers, pilots, artillery gunners, and front line roles (medics, scouts). If a women can meet the physical requirements, there is no reason they cannot serve.

I've always thought women were remarkably better shots than men (or thats the blurb I've heard over the years). I tried googling the subject and was assaulted with a barrage of Men Vs Women driving threads/debates and the like.

When I was in the army we had women on our regiment. Three of them even made it to non-com training since it's a conscript army and if you don't suck horrendously you're probably non-com material. In a real army they wouldn't have made it. None of them had the strength to carry a "wounded" guy and his gear alone.

With that said if a woman can pass the physical requirements I see no reason why they couldn't fight. I wouldn't have any problems seeing them getting blown to bits any more than my other mates. Or maybe I would.. I hope I don't have to find out how it is at some point.

Women living closely together tend to synchronize. Sending a unit with collective PMS into combat might violate the CG.

I'm not sure if you're serious about this, but, er, it's called birth control--you can control when and if you'll get your period. Magical. And also, on average, PMS is far, far less of a big deal than most people seem to think. :dunno:

Realistically, the number of women who can meet the requirements is small, but I don't see why those who can meet the requirements should not be able to join whatever they want to. If there were a draft for both sexes I'd feel the same way. And really, it doesn't matter what women as a whole trend toward, statistically, if you're only selecting the ones who can carry lots of shit around, or shoot well, or whatever.

The NYT had a recent series about women in combat in the US military, it was pretty interesting, if you want to read it.

I've always thought women were remarkably better shots than men (or thats the blurb I've heard over the years). I tried googling the subject and was assaulted with a barrage of Men Vs Women driving threads/debates and the like.

We always had to spend a lot more time coaching females. We were thrilled when they simply qualified at the lowest level, while men were a disappointment if they did not shoot expert. Women were not required to actually qualify with a rifle to graduate Marine Corps boot camp circa 1990's, as it probably would have significantly reduced female graduates. (I also knew of a male who graduated without qualifying. We got him to qualify later on. It took me 3 weeks of coaching.)

I'm not sure if you're serious about this, but, er, it's called birth control--you can control when and if you'll get your period. Magical. And also, on average, PMS is far, far less of a big deal than most people seem to think. :dunno:

Just for the protocol: I was not serious.

The NYT had a recent series about women in combat in the US military, it was pretty interesting, if you want to read it.

Thank you.

I personally didn't think it to be that controversial, most women here are big girls who deal with these matters alot in society.

It's interesting that you said this, because as a matter of fact most women in society actually have to deal a lot with similar claims like what you're sprouting here regarding what type of jobs they can and cannot qualify for.

Why be so sarcastic Pax and use an angry face emoticon instead of pointing out what you feel to be incorrect and point out what is instead? Do you feel like a big man because you can't speak like that to people's faces?

On the contrary, I was absolutely sincere in my admiration of your use of "GI Jane" to make your argument. Bonus points for enlisting and utilizing of Stego for his expertise on psychology.

Some people have already pointed out that Canada has female infantry personnel and others have pointed out there is an Israeli female infantry soldier here. Why can't you just do that? I'm not going to get shitty if someone tell me something new. Might not change my POV but I'm sure I'd find it interesting.

Because that would be redundant. Since some people have already made that point, there's really no need. If you could make a coherent rebuttal, you would have done so already.

Women were not required to actually qualify with a rifle to graduate Marine Corps boot camp circa 1990's, as it probably would have significantly reduced female graduates.

I don't know about this. Seems to me, had they been required, they would have done so.

Archived