MMA IV 2009 - Fall into New Years.

Horus Ex Machina

Some more word vomit.

Interesting story on the upcoming MMA debut of the Green Power Ranger Jason David Frank. Kinda pissed at Maggie Hendricks for trying to dog him for this.

"There are reasons behind why I want to fight," Frank said. "I lost my brother about seven years ago; we were going to do this together and it's [a] personal thing. It's not for the money or anything else, or like how Maggie said it's a publicity stunt; it's hard for me because before I was a Power Ranger, I was a dedicated martial artist. I was a full-contact fighter even though I didn't do the stuff that everyone else was doing."

Look, I was never a fan of MMPR, but I knew that you couldn't get a role on that show unless you had a backround in either gymnastics or martial arts. Same as with Brock, same as with anyone who's got some training and wants to fight, quit hating, let them prove themselves. :box:

I'm also pretty excited to see Daniel Cormier's debut coming up. It's yet another decorated wrestler making a transition to the sport we all know and love and he's at a top gym in AKA. It's a pretty solid signing for SF and a debut that I'll be looking at.

"I haven't done anything since the Olympics, and that competitor fire in me started to build and build last year,"� said Cormier, explaining his decision to try his hand at MMA. "When I started feeling that, I started pursuing all avenues."
:thumbsup:

Then of course, here's a story by a stock guy advising ppl to toss their WWE stock due to the rise of MMA. Then, of course, that genius :dunce: Jake Rossen throws his two cents in about that.

With no experience in the stock market, I can't comment on Munarriz's advice or the admittedly flimsy idea that "WrestleMania" business is down because of MMA. But I find it difficult to believe the demand for oily men in horribly written and performed "comedy" skits and myostatin-deprived gymnastics will ever permanently crumble. Not in a world where Larry the Cable Guy can pay his mortgage.
jake rossen probably should have stoped at the words "with no experience in the stock market" bc he missed the entire point of the article. It was merely a stock expert advising ppl to lose a stock that was likely to drop points in the future. He didn't say that the WWE was going out of business or that Vince McMahon was an idiot. Jake should stick to MMA, a sport where he can at least say he knows something about,... despite the fact that even that supposed truth is murky. :thumbsdown:

And that brings me to Bisping vs. Kang. Bisping's words on the matchup here.

Sherdog.com: The web is abuzz at the moment with rumors regarding your friend Quinton Jackson playing Mr. T in the 'A-Team' remake. Have you spoken to him about it and is acting something that you are considering?

Bisping: I haven't spoken to him in a few weeks now and it's not really my place to comment, but I've got a couple of things in the works. I'm working with a film script that's being made and we'll see what happens.

To me that quote was the only significant thing that was brought up in that interview. I'm not interested in his opinion on why American fans hate him bc I've long since given up on trying to understand them myself. I don't care about his attitude on TUF bc that was probably the last season of the show that I'll ever watch. :sleep:

What I do want to know is how a man who's only percieved strength (his kickboxing) has been three times now exposed as ineffective lovetapping, by wrestlers no less, expects to beat as well-rounded a fighter as Kang. No, no, no, I don't even have a solid pick on that fight since, although I believe that Kang is better, he has annoyingly blatant holes of his own that leave him open to dropping fights even when he appears to be winning them handily. So I pick Kang to win but I have little confidence in that.

And in other news, Dan 'Hendo' Henderson is still a free agent and he's apparently trying to leverage that into an immediate shot at Anderson Silva without the prerequisite of having to face Nate Marquardt first. Dan, be careful what you wish for. :rolleyes:

Pretty big news for MMA in the UK.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/ufc-inks-...eal-in-uk-19563

UFC fights shown on free national television. I am stoked.

Yeah I'd heard about this. With Setanta's fall it seemed that Zuffa would quickly have to move to replace that deal as it is essential to growing the brand in the UK and maintaining their exposure. I also sounds like what they do with Spike here. As for live events especially here in the US, well that's what Hooters is for. :cheers:

Interesting story on the upcoming MMA debut of the Green Power Ranger Jason David Frank. Kinda pissed at Maggie Hendricks for trying to dog him for this.

Does anyone even take anything that hack Maggie Hendricks says seriously? She's got to be one of the worst sports writers/bloggers/whatever out there...regardless of the sport.

Don't sweat the no hooters. Place has some pretty mediocre food. Your only paying for the view.

I couldn't help but notice on ufc.com they had footage of Belfort's knockout of Matt Linland in Affliction as part of the Franklin/Belfort hype clip. I suppose that indicates that the ufc has acquired usage of Affliction's video vaults as part of their kiss and make up deal. Anybody know more about this?

Apparently Couture will be meeting Vera at UFC 105. I don't really understand what that fight is all about. Neither of them are relevant at LHW. I can't imagine a victory for either one puts them a step closer to a title shot. Not only that but I don't find this fight particularly interesting either. FWIW, I take Couture to clinch Vera against the cage for 3 rounds and to grind out a very boring decision.

I did not know that. If it's true, that would mean that the UFC has ownership of both Pride and Affliction footage. Strikeforce isn't going to have many highlights to show for their newly acquired fighters.

I'd be willing to bet, given Affliction's lower bargaining power, that the fighters had partial rights to their video highlights. I know that Fedor probably did.

Few ppl realize that he and Fuji TV still have partial rights to his Pride stuff; the UFC were a little pissed with DSE over this and a few other details about fighter contracts that they didn't find out about until later. So technically they don't have exclusive rights to the Pride shit. Though that likely won't keep the UFC from disputing which is why promotions rarely tried to exploit this by using it or getting permission through Fuji TV. It's kind of like the situation after Elite XC folded. There's a school of thought that they couldn't technically sell those contracts to Strikeforce, yet few fighters challenged it since they would save time by renegotiating with Strikeforce instead. I also believe that Strikeforce's aquisition of the Elite XC video library is partially owned by Showtime and CBS as well since they produced it.

Can't find the story anymore. There's probably some truth to this but I can't see any other promotion, especially Strikeforce, making use of it. They'll do without. If ppl are going to tune into their programming or not, the presence or lack of highlights from old fights isn't going to change anything.

Apparently Couture will be meeting Vera at UFC 105. I don't really understand what that fight is all about. Neither of them are relevant at LHW. I can't imagine a victory for either one puts them a step closer to a title shot. Not only that but I don't find this fight particularly interesting either. FWIW, I take Couture to clinch Vera against the cage for 3 rounds and to grind out a very boring decision.

Vera's relevent at LHW bc he's fighting there full-time, and he has a following. Or at least the UFC would like him to. That's whay they keep playing up the Filipino aspect. Kinda like what they tried to do with Huerta, they're trying to go for Pacquiao's base, which they'll never get with Vera.

Look at how Shogun, Forrest, or even Couture at HW got their title shots. I'd be willing to bet that a victory over a former LHW champ would throw him right into title contention since it's more about visibility and momentary gains than any actual tangible ranking system. If Vera wins in an exciting fashion, and turns up the volume on his fanbase then Zuffa will respond by moving him to that next eschelon. They're always testing the waters with the fanbase when it comes to building that next name. Don't be surprised if Vera finds his way past guys like Thiago Silva or Jon Jones with a win here.

As for Hooters, I actually find their food pretty damn decent, if a bit overpriced, but then again I spend most of my money on beer when I'm there anyway. It's basically Champps with eye candy. Or it can be a place to git yo ass punked!

The only European card I am missing and Randy is on it :cry: :cry:

Piss poor strategy by Credeur. He could have easily won the standup if he didn't overcommit in the third. You'd have though that he'd have learned from his mistake in the second. And he just hands pts to my opponents on the fantasy board. I'm pissed off now.

You guys heard about Mariusz Pudzianowski going into mma?

http://mmawaves.com/2009/08/05/worlds-stro...make-mma-debut/

"He began practicing martial arts at the age of 11 and holds a fourth kyu green belt in Kyokushin Karate. He has also competed in amateur boxing for several years."

He also about 300lbs of muscle and bigger and stronger than Brock Lesnar. He is also very fast/explosive.

You guys heard about Mariusz Pudzianowski going into mma?

http://mmawaves.com/2009/08/05/worlds-stro...make-mma-debut/

"He began practicing martial arts at the age of 11 and holds a fourth kyu green belt in Kyokushin Karate. He has also competed in amateur boxing for several years."

He also about 300lbs of muscle and bigger and stronger than Brock Lesnar. He is also very fast/explosive.

I've gotta see the guy. Plus he needs a ground game, but if he's got it,... there goes the neighborhood. He'll be an excellent addition to MMA. Very excited.

I've gotta see the guy. Plus he needs a ground game, but if he's got it,... there goes the neighborhood. He'll be an excellent addition to MMA. Very excited.

Yeh we shall see if he has a ground game. But with his background in amatuer boxing and karate plus 300lbs his stand up should be ridiculous.

He also plays rugby so his cardio/agility should be pretty good as well.

Just in case anyone does not know who he is

I'm sorry to get off subject, but God what a joke!

I'm rooting for Huerta here, but he really is a hook-machine. He couldn't throw a jab or cross to save his life. And his footwork is atrocious. I'm shocked that the announcers didn't realise that what really caused the Huerta knockdown was less the power of Maynard but more the fact that Huerta's feet are constantly caught next to one another. He's tripped over his own feet at least 3 times in this fight.

Not a smart move by Rashad. Couture is a pretty decent stylistic matchup and would have probably gotten him even more ppv money than the Jackson fight imo.

Couture is his friend. I respect the hell out of Rashad for refusing to fight his friend. I respect all those who put that first.

People think Guillard is a bigger douche than Diaz? I am always praying for Diaz to get messed up.

It was a great night of fights. Better than a lot of PPV's. And I'm really excited to see heavyweights on Ultimate Fighter. It's just so much more.... of an actual fight and less of an athletic competition. I know most folks have a different take on it and that's fine. But heavyweight fights just do it for me.

Nice night of fights!

UFN 19 -

Creuder v Quarry -Creuder was much tougher than I thought he'd be. I remember him as the guy from the crappy season who didn't even win, and has since beat other guys from crappy seasons who didn't win. Quarry I see more as a guy who has beaten some tough guys and is on his way back up. After that fight it looks like they are pretty much on the same level though. Not sure if that is bad for Quarry or good for Creuder.

Ellenberger v Condiut - I was surprised this fight wasn't stopped. Ellenberger made the mistake of trying to finish it and appeared to run out of gas by the 3rd round. Very impressive debut though and I expect to see him back soon. I love having fighters representing Nebraska!

Manard v Huerta - Huerta did better than I thought he would, but he only seemed to have the overhand. Manard is crazy quick and had great footwork early. I still don't see him on BJ or Sanchez's level. Who would be a good next fight for him though? I'm thinking the winner of Florian/Guida.

Diaz v Gulliard - Gulliard is quick! It pretty much ended as I expected it too. The big surprise were the hip throws that Gulliard pulled on Diaz. It's usually Nate throwing people around.

TUF - I wish they would have just brought Slice in without the fan fair. It would have been much more fun to see the guys wondering "That dude looks a lot like Kimbo... is that him?"

Also, what was Rampage thinking putting that guy in there? I don't think I've ever seen anyone on the show look so unskilled. I know it was over for him when he asked across the octagon "Are we going to shake hands?" Also he works full time as the director of Operations and Finance for a large company. Clearly he isn't training full time. Unfortunately he was also from Nebraska. Seems like it would behoove Rampage to have an experienced guy (say, Wes Sims) fight. Or maybe find a standup fighter guy that you think Slice could beat, because you know if Rashaad get's a chance he will put Slice against the best ground guy he has.

Lastly I noticed they didn't show much footage of Roy Nelson, and from what they did show he was struggling. That seems to be quite the editing job as I imagine Nelson is one of the best fighters in the house. I'm guessing they are building it up like "This fat guy came in and, in complete underdog fashion, WON THE WHOLE THING!!!" They are going to sell Nelson as the "If he can be a fighter, so you can you!" guy.

Archived