MMA IV 2009 - Fall into New Years.

Horus Ex Machina

Yeah, that is funny, because in the Fantasy MMA thread I've already thrown out my statement that I see Roy Nelson taking the show. Fat or not, it seems to me he is the highest profile and one of the most experienced fighters on the show this season. A lot of things can happen in a 16 man tournament, but he's the favourite as far as I'm concerned. I followed his fights in the IFL and elsewhere and make no mistake, fat boy can fight!

It does worry me that he was picked towards the bottom of the roster and in the training clips they showed he seems to be struggling.

" People think Guillard is a bigger douche than Diaz? I am always praying for Diaz to get messed up"

Yep, Guillard is a way bigger douche than Diaz, or most people in the sport for that matter. I like the Diaz bros. They are rough n tumble and need to get to a very angry place with someone before they fight them and there is thus a lot of shit talk, but at least they are class after the fight, whichever way it goes. Guillard has a massive ego and continues to talk shit about the people he has just beat, in a dickish attempt to rub salt in the wounds (ie. the one guy who crumpled to a body shot had a 'soft stomach' (Rogan seemed really offended by that one in the interview), another guy he ko'd and makes some statement about 'Karate having no place in MMA' (he should tell that to Machida). Then when jits guys like Clementi beat him he goes on disparagingly about him getting close and hanging on and seems to think getting subbed isn't really getting beat in MMA. In summary, he's a complete waste of skin, and I love to see him lose even though he is an extremely explosive striker, just the kind of fighter I usually root for.

I was also surprised by how little respect Nelson got in the episode. He was picked pretty far down. Rampage didn't seem to know who he was, but with Greg Jackson on Rashad's team, you've got to expect they knew about his experience. They also gave him a chance to say that he's a former IFL champion, but it was given no weight at all.

Well, since I went 4-0 on my fight night picks, I guess I should have written them down in the fantasy mma thread. Oh well. I'll just play fantasy fantasy mma and imagine that I'm winning.

I'm sorry to get off subject, but God what a joke!

I'm rooting for Huerta here, but he really is a hook-machine. He couldn't throw a jab or cross to save his life. And his footwork is atrocious. I'm shocked that the announcers didn't realise that what really caused the Huerta knockdown was less the power of Maynard but more the fact that Huerta's feet are constantly caught next to one another. He's tripped over his own feet at least 3 times in this fight.

Huerta's never been known for being a technically proficient fighter. He's known for his heart and scrambling ability. I wasn't all that impressed with him during his winning streak, but have gained more respect for him from his last two fights/losses. That kimura Maynard had on him had me wincing and I couldn't believe he didn't tap. I've seen guys at my gym majorly fuck up their shoulders by refusing to tap like he did. Props to him for powering out of it.

I didn't realize that they were friends. In that case I agree with his choice.

I don't think they are. Or at least I've never heard of that before. I'm sure they're friendly with each other, as almost all fighters are, but not near close enough to refuse to fight each other like Machida and Anderson. At least from what I've heard.

You folks think it's funny to make fun of colleagues like that? I lost all respect for Rampage when he called that guy Tits. I kinda hate the guy now. That shit is simply not funny.

Have you ever been on a sports team? Here I though good-natured mockery and verbal sparring was a universal language among men.

I have been on a few sports teams and spent quite a while in the Marine Corps. I'm quite certain I can teach you many, many things about mockery. That said, there are lines.

You do NOT mock people in front of their woman. You do NOT mock people in front of their family. Jackson did both of those things. And let's add EVERYONE HE FUCKING KNOWS IN THE WORLD to the list.

Jackson is a piece of shit.

ETA: There was nothing good natured about it.

Yeah, I like Rampage, but didn't think his teasing of 'tits' there was his finest moment. In the interview room after the guy tried to come off like it didn't bother him, but you could tell it did. Not cool at all.

"Mustapha al Turk beat him in under a minute. Atrocious fighter." Despite his lack of UFC success, Mustapha is a good fighter, no? Being beat by a game fighter in under a minute doesn't make you atrocious, does it? Or did you see the whole fight and notice nothing but holes in his game? Just curious if you have more information on him or if all we know is that al Turk smoked him once.

question from someone not as familiar with the sport, how much blood does there have to be before a fight is called?

that fight from the first episode of TUF was pretty bad

Also, it's weird watching a fight with no commentary, I like hearing Rogan's explanation of what's happening.

"Mustapha al Turk beat him in under a minute. Atrocious fighter." Despite his lack of UFC success, Mustapha is a good fighter, no? Being beat by a game fighter in under a minute doesn't make you atrocious, does it? Or did you see the whole fight and notice nothing but holes in his game? Just curious if you have more information on him or if all we know is that al Turk smoked him once.

I have seen him fight a few times. Despite being a supposed K1 standard kickboxer, Neil Grove knocked him out. One fella, a huge fat bloke, beat him by lying on top of him and choking him with his gut. Mus dumped him on his arse and merked him. He has huge holes in his game.

Mus won the Eurpean Qualifying for Abu Dhabi more than once. He is a good ground fighter he just hasn't seemed to fire for the UFC cards.

question from someone not as familiar with the sport, how much blood does there have to be before a fight is called?

that fight from the first episode of TUF was pretty bad

Also, it's weird watching a fight with no commentary, I like hearing Rogan's explanation of what's happening.

It's less about the amount of blood than the severity of the cut. Alot of times you'll have scar tissue close to a bone that will flake open fairly easily and bleed profusely. Most refs will usually at least allow the cut man an opportunity to see the cut and attempt to staunch the bleeding. At the same time, the figtht doctor will probably also be called in by the ref to take a look at the cut. Based on a number of factors the final decision ultimately rests with the fight doctor.

However at any time the referee can stop the action to allow the fight doc to look at the cut. All doctors are different so there's no solid on what might make them stop it. Just their professional medical judgement.

Well, I definitely bow to your knowledge, Barry. I've never seen him fight. He just has a certain bearing that impressed me.. and as there were no initial fights, that's all I really had to go on.

If it is shite British fighters you want, I am your man.

My problem with Rampage in the TUF episode had nothing to do with his comments. A lot of what he said was uncalled for but I'm long past caring about what he says. No, my problem was that he was simply an incompetent coach.

He knew that was a bad match-up. He knew Abe had no wrestling. And during the fight itself, his instructions were meaningless. "KNOCK HIM OUT! STAND UP AND KNOCK HIM OUT! HE'S DOING IT AGAIN! OH MAN!" I don't really care what he says to people outside the octagon, but the lack of support he gave to his fighter during the fight was simply inexcusable.

ETA: Oh yeah, who wants to see some exposed skull?

Sorry if already posted, but

interviewing boxing promoter Bob Arum is pretty interesting, he says some pretty outlandish things about MMA.

I found it reading this article by Kevin Blackistone.

Because if there was one thing those back-to-back commercials underscored, it was that the big fight Saturday night isn't between Mayweather and Marquez, or Belfort and Franklin for that matter; it is between Mayweather's classic fighting sport, boxing, and the still relatively newfangled fighting sport known as MMA.

If this UFC event beats Mayweather-Marquez, boxing will be holding a second fiddle on the fight front. MMA will have knocked out a guy in Mayweather who once was part of a PPV record draw when he beat Oscar De La Hoya, the king of PPVs. And MMA is threatening to do so with a couple of guys tugging a card considered to be no big deal even among MMA aficionados...

But anyone like me who doesn't believe Saturday is about something more than what happens between Mayweather and Marquez is delusional. Saturday night isn't so much about how Mayweather looks after his brief retirement. (Marquez at his age and smallish size is tailor-made for Mayweather's return.) It is about whether he can hold off not only Marquez but the rising tide of MMA as well. MMA organizers know it and they are circling in the waters.

"No matter what happens on Saturday night, boxing is in trouble. Period. End of story. They're in trouble," UFC's irascible boss Dana White said Thursday. "[The UFC] continues to grow every year. We're up this year from where we were last year in this horrible economy."

BTW, I'm pissed that my only HD PPV channel is carrying the boxing match rather than UFC 103.

Archived