NFL Thread II: Now bringing you more JaMarcus Russell!

Young Wolf

This is just a silly story about fantasy football, but I thought it was hilarious.

Coach Sean Payton has secretly been pumping up third-string RB Mike Bell to me for the last month. But get this, he even convinced his son Connor to draft Bell in his son's fantasy league. Peyton thinks he can be the every-down pounding back they need. So Pops told Connor to take him as a late-round sleeper and promised that he'd be a great pick for him. So Connor responded, "Mike Bell? Who's Mike Bell???" Sean said, "Trust me Connor, I might have some insight into this."

And the fact that he's punishing the 49ers in this deal further baffles me... they're the team that took you!!!!! It was the other nine teams that passed on you!!!!!!! You should be grateful that you didn't fall even more.

And the fact that he's punishing the 49ers in this deal further baffles me... they're the team that took you!!!!! It was the other nine teams that passed on you!!!!!!! You should be grateful that you didn't fall even more.

It's probably indicative of how much of an ass Crabtree is making of himself that Young Randy Moss is the other half of this cautionary tale, but...

What did Randy Moss do when he was passed over until the 21st pick in his draft? He signed his fucking contract, reported to camp, and made a fool of every team that passed on him with an absolutely sick rookie year.

That's the way to operate, Crabtree.

How many first round picks are busts? The Niners could be saving themselves some money by not having to shell out first round dough for a head case.

Think of how much the Chargers could have saved in both money and embarrasment if Ryan Leaf had held out in this manner and been summarily kicked to the curb!

How many first round picks are busts? The Niners could be saving themselves some money by not having to shell out first round dough for a head case.

Think of how much the Chargers could have saved in both money and embarrasment if Ryan Leaf had held out in this manner and been summarily kicked to the curb!

now I can't believe you are calling Alex Smith, Kentwan Balmer, Rashaun Woods, Kwame Harris, and Mike Rumph Busts.

I'm forgiving of Smith -- there was no clear cut #1 that year and if they had taken Rodgers, I think the results would have been similar (nurture or lack there of, over nature). Davis is a disappointment, not a bust. Manny Lawson still has potential and Willis is the MAN. Truely, the 49ers drafting has been god awful. almost makes you wish you had AL Davis in charge. Notice I said Almost <G>.

but for a new view of this year's draft, I point you to Kevin Lynch, the 49er writer for the SF Chron:

I talked to an NFL scout recently who provided a rundown on the 49ers draft picks:

1. Michael Crabtree: "We had him at the end of the first round, even the second round. He doesn't run all that well, and we heard some things about his attitude. He might be just a system guy." Meaning playing in the spread offense could have inflated his numbers.

2. Glen Coffee: "Tough guy from the SEC. But I don't know if he'll be anything more than a backup."

3. Scott McKillop: "Another guy who's just kind of a backup player."

4. Nate Davis: "A stud. I saw six games and he didn't throw a bad pass. He's Mark Sanchez."

5. Curtis Taylor: "Big, strong kid, but I don't know if he's smart enough."

6. Ricky Jean-Francois: "He's got third- or fourth-round talent, but we would not have touched him with a 10-foot pole. Worst character guy in the draft. LSU couldn't wait to get rid of him."

<sigh> a nice stud i the 6th who is dyslexic. Notice he left off Bear Pascoe -- too slow (mentally I believe) to even make the practice squad -- they kept an UFA instead. Hope springs eternal.

I'm guessing we won't see drafts like 81, 84 or <gasp> 86 ever again.

I read somewhere that out of 9 teams that passed Crabtree, eight teams had higher priority in other positions than a WR. Only Oakland needed a WR and Al sticked it to the 49ers by choosing someone else.

I suppose I should weigh in on this.

Fuck Michael Crabtree. At this point, I hope they never sign him. Though Coach Singletary seems to have 'fixed' Vernon Davis, I just hate having these guys on my team. They got rid of TO, and I don't want some whiny, bitchy, infantile, lesser version of TO to replace him. Do we have an incredible talent at QB that just needs one more weapon to win it all? Nope.

Fuck Michael Crabtree.

Fuck Michael Crabtree. At this point, I hope they never sign him. Though Coach Singletary seems to have 'fixed' Vernon Davis, I just hate having these guys on my team. They got rid of TO, and I don't want some whiny, bitchy, infantile, lesser version of TO to replace him. Do we have an incredible talent at QB that just needs one more weapon to win it all? Nope.

Fuck Michael Crabtree.

LOB,

Yo, I'm really happy for you and I'ma let you finish, but Terrell Owens was the most problematic diva reciever in 49ers history.

Fuck Michael Crabtree.

So what happens if Crabtree refuses to sign? Do the 49ers get their number 9 pick back somehow?

LOB,

Yo, I'm really happy for you and I'ma let you finish, but Terrell Owens was the most problematic diva reciever in 49ers history.

*looks on in disbelief*

So what happens if Crabtree refuses to sign? Do the 49ers get their number 9 pick back somehow?

I don't think so, but I'm not an expert. Mostly, they keep their money that they can spend later on a non-jackass signing AFAIK.

*looks on in disbelief*

I don't think so, but I'm not an expert. Mostly, they keep their money that they can spend later on a non-jackass signing AFAIK.

That's bullshit though--I mean saving the money is good, but the 49ers had a top 10 pick. They should get something compensatory, though I guess you can never predict a bust. I hate Crabtree now too. What a fucking asswipe.

I too am of course pissed at Michael Crabtree as a 49ers fan. But lets not get too carried away here. Bryant McKinnie held out a long time with the Vikings and turned out to be a Pro Bowl-caliber tackle. Jamarcus held out with the Raiders and wound up being Jamarcus (I don't think he'll ever be a good QB no matter how many training camps he sat out or participated in).

My point is that for now, this is all bluster. Is it stupid? Yes. Is it going to get him anywhere? No. But a number of players have more or less done this before. Now, if he sits out beyond week 10, where he would be ineligible to play AT ALL this season, then I'd really have a problem with the guy. Until then? Yes, it's silly and counterproductive, but if he signs I think I'll get over it the instant he scores his first touchdown. This is a market that has rooted for Terrell Owens, Barry Bonds, and the bad-boy Raider image. I really don't think any hold out for a few weeks into the season is going to permanently burn any bridges to the fan base or the organization.

On a side, draft related note, it's really fun when your team has another team's first round pick for the next draft going into the season. I've got nothing against the Panthers, but I was chortling with glee when I read Jake Delhomme's stat line (and breathed a sigh of relief when the Eagles signed Jeff Garcia and not Carolina). Yes, it's only week one, but it's lots of fun to dream that your team could be good AND have a ridiculously high draft pick that offseason (I've already got my fingers crossed for Colt McCoy... unless it's proven that Shaun Hill really is a pile of magic pixie dust and four leaf clovers that wins every time it steps under center).

This is a market that has rooted for Terrell Owens, Barry Bonds, and the bad-boy Raider image. I really don't think any hold out for a few weeks into the season is going to permanently burn any bridges to the fan base or the organization.

Naturally, regardless of the outcome, I will always root for the uniform. And I certainly wouldn't dream of speaking for the fan base, but I'm certainly sick of these guys and the baggage they bring. Also, TO wasn't a problem for anyone but the Cowboys for most of his time here, until the end.

If he holds out until week 9, and the 49ers don't buckle, I'll be happy that they'll have signed him for less than his value and cautiously optimistic as to his further antics in light of Vernon Davis' apparent turnaround under the tuteledge of Coach Singletary.

Of course arm strength is not everything, but it still makes me wonder what they saw in Smith that made them sure that he was the guy.

Especially in a west coast offense. I honestly don't remember the arguments. I only remember barely favoring Rogers, but not shocked or outraged that they went with Smith. :dunno:

ETA: Maybe this will shed some light.

I thought that they would go for Rogers because he was from Cal (hometown kid) and was a good college QB for a couple seasons. Smith was good for one year in an offense that did not translate to the NFL. I thinkl they were afraid of the other Tedford NFL QB busts; Harrington, Akili Smith, and Boller; however, Rogers looked a lot sharper in college and I thought would be a good QB in the NFL.

I too am of course pissed at Michael Crabtree as a 49ers fan. But lets not get too carried away here. Bryant McKinnie held out a long time with the Vikings and turned out to be a Pro Bowl-caliber tackle. Jamarcus held out with the Raiders and wound up being Jamarcus (I don't think he'll ever be a good QB no matter how many training camps he sat out or participated in).

My point is that for now, this is all bluster. Is it stupid? Yes. Is it going to get him anywhere? No. But a number of players have more or less done this before. Now, if he sits out beyond week 10, where he would be ineligible to play AT ALL this season, then I'd really have a problem with the guy. Until then? Yes, it's silly and counterproductive, but if he signs I think I'll get over it the instant he scores his first touchdown. This is a market that has rooted for Terrell Owens, Barry Bonds, and the bad-boy Raider image. I really don't think any hold out for a few weeks into the season is going to permanently burn any bridges to the fan base or the organization.

Yes, but McKinnie is a tackle and that seems to be a position that translates a lot better from the college game to the pros. It's not exact, but we've seen quite a few rookies come in and play lights out football. Receivers, on the other hand, hardly ever make an impact their rookie year. So basically, if you sign Crabtree, I wouldn't expect him to do shit until year 3 at the minimum and that just seems like a complete and utter waste.

LOB,

That Lord of Bones, he seems like a nice young poster, just trying to get his feelings out. What's this Slyfinger doing up there interupting? ..... He's a jackass.

Archived