This is great forum

John_Galt

I never said I want this to become objectivism-online.net, as long as there are enough 'free-market' posters to balance out the 'commies

Check.

', I'll be happy. Same goes for 'terrorist-supporters',

Probably check. (Not sure what you mean.)

'crying-heart liberals',

Check.

'tax-and-spend democrats'

Check.

and 'xtian fundies' tongue.gif

Sorry.

Anyhow, welcome. :)

I am really enjoying these forums. From what I've seen so far, there is no censorship and a lot of interesting posts - sure beats other sites' MISC sections. The last thing that will make me happy, is if the forum is at least ideologically balanced (if not leaning towards my views). I've just joined yesterday (after finishing 4th ASOIAF book), so haven't gotten a chance to gauge that yet.

Oh no. Oh HELL NO.

This has got to be Myshkin playing a prank. Tell me this isn't a prank, because thats just too good to be true.

So let me ask this. I recognize John Galt as being from a Ayn Rand book, right? I've never read anything by Rand. Should I read one those massive books I see on the bookstore shelf so that I can be in on the jokes? Or is my time spent better on other literary endeavours?

(not trolling, just asking :) )

So let me ask this. I recognize John Galt as being from a Ayn Rand book, right? I've never read anything by Rand. Should I read one those massive books I see on the bookstore shelf so that I can be in on the jokes? Or is my time spent better on other literary endeavours?

Some might suggest you read it to gain an appreciation for the way that a few crazy people think. Personally I'd advise you avoid her trash with a 10 foot pole.

You will not get unanimous advice about reading Ayn Rand. Of course, my advice is to do so. It is great literature, and great ideas.

Incidentally, posing the question as "Goodkind versus Left Behind", as opposed to "Atlas Shrugged versus the Bible" is just another sign of the lowbrow tendencies of this great forum. ;)

'terrorist-supporters'

Probably check. (Not sure what you mean.)

Pretty much anyone who bitches about Palis getting their ass handed to them after Hamas decides to blow themselves up on a school-bus, or fire rockets at civilians, while hiding behind kids...

Whatever one might think of Ayn Rand's misguided philosophy, you aren't allowed to call the book great literature and not have your sanity questioned. It is poorly written, and there's really nothing more to it.

Personal attacks based on unsupported assertions. Do stay classy.

Pretty much anyone who bitches about Palis getting their ass handed to them after Hamas decides to blow themselves up on a school-bus, or fire rockets at civilians, while hiding behind kids...

Ah, I see. Check.

Hey, I got four out of five! If only I were a Christian fundamentalist...

Don't bother with the book - I'll be the first one to point out that it can get pretty dry, and is not everyone's cup of tea. John Galt is more of an abstract idea, than a specific character. Goodkind's Richard Rahl embodies most of those ideas - rather than reading Attlas Shrugged, you could read "Faith of the Fallen" instead. Say what you want about Goodkind - he did turn a lot of young people onto Objectivism. And a good thing too, in an age where most people want government to take care of their life...

The following quote from Bioshock is something John Galt would say:

Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow?

'No!' says the man in Washington, 'It belongs to the poor.'

'No!' says the man in the Vatican, 'It belongs to God.'

'No!' says the man in Moscow, 'It belongs to everyone.'

I rejected those answers; instead, I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... Rapture, a city where the artist would not fear the censor, where the scientist would not be bound by petty morality, Where the great would not be constrained by the small! And with the sweat of your brow, Rapture can become your city as well.

Archived