Dublin: The Octocon edition?

Padraig

As suggested, this is a thread for those to confirm their attendance at a meet at a pub after GRRM's signing at Easons on Thurs 5th Nov at 5pm. smile.gif

Currently thinking of meeting at the Oval beside Easons but that may change.

The other thread is for general discussions about the trip.

If there is expected to be anyone accompanying you, please indicate that also. I just want to get a feel for how many will be around, so that we can talk to the establishment about booking some space. (Since it will presumably be necessary)

Attendance List

GRRM and Parris

Moi

Yerman

Peadar + Guests (?)

verify23 +3ish

Renya

Needles

Ser Mel T + Leitrim(?)

Aaron + 1

Lady of Lannister + 2

Renya

QueenArya + 1

GerCelt +2

AragornSG +1

Ser Ivor +1

mgmn +1

Sharpe95 +3

Paddy +1

Romulocks +1

Daithi

Total 36ish.

Will definitely be there. Can only afford to get to Dublin twice a year-ish but I just so happen to have a concert that same night. So yeah...not exactly a sworn-in member of the Brotherhood here, but count me in!

that's great - and we'll have an official swearing in ceremony for all the new folks who are willing to take the oath, sometime after the 3rd or 4th round. :cheers:

I'll be coming! I'll try to persuade some GRRM-loving friends to turn up too.

Excellent! The more the merrier!

I've put up a post on the Belfast thread I'll repeat here:

I'm thinking about creating a handbill to give out at the book signing, that would have info about the moot being held that day, and some information about the various websites and fan groups associated with George, such as Westeros, BwB, WiC, and his 2010 GoHship at Octocon. If anyone has a site or group they would like to include, let me know on this thread, or PM me here. I don't have any info on the local SF groups, or the RoI SF con. If there's someone out there who would like to gather up information and get an ok from the local SF groups/convention, I'd be happy to include that, or hand out their own flyers while at the signing/moot. This could be a great opportunity to let people know about the various SF groups and websites that they may not be aware of and, as I said before, the more the merrier!

I'll be there! And a minimum of three of my friends! Woo!

Parris, I've also alerted the Literary and Sci-Fi societies of Trinity College and they'll be putting word of the signing and the meet afterwards in their monthly newsletters! I've honestly got no idea how many extra fans this will attract but both societies are quite popular on campus so I expect it will boost the numbers a bit!

I'll be there! And a minimum of three of my friends! Woo!

Parris, I've also alerted the Literary and Sci-Fi societies of Trinity College and they'll be putting word of the signing and the meet afterwards in their monthly newsletters! I've honestly got no idea how many extra fans this will attract but both societies are quite popular on campus so I expect it will boost the numbers a bit!

That's great news, thanks so much for taking the time to let the local uni groups know GRRM is coming to town. We're going to have a couple of great events if people keep keep spreading the word. Let's rock O'Connell street Westerosi style!

I will definitely be there, no way I am missing this, I would miss my own wedding and or funeral to attend. Not sure what the whole 'Brotherhood' means though, I got a serious dose of newb'ightious, but even thats not going to stop me going.

I will definitely be there, no way I am missing this, I would miss my own wedding and or funeral to attend. Not sure what the whole 'Brotherhood' means though, I got a serious dose of newb'ightious, but even thats not going to stop me going.

Oh, you'll be very welcome :grouphug:

Well, a long time ago, when we first decided to meet, we thought we needed to have a name to call ourselves. After a vote, we settled on the name "Brotherhood without Banners". Second choice was "Fans beyond the Wall" IIRC.

Anyhow, the name stuck. But it sometimes gets shortened into BwB, Bros, Brotherhood etc. Whatever the name though, all are welcome to events. :)

And Lady of Lannister, while you can't drink, I doubt there will be any issue with you/others dropping into the pub. If you wish.

Is there actually a "swearing in ceremony" for the BwB??? Does George knight us!?

Yeah, Padraig's right, Lady. I don't think you'd have a problem getting into the pub just because you're underage. It's mainly the clubs and more exclusive pubs around the city that require ID. That, plus the fact that you'd be entering with a group of, presumably, all ages, should get you in pretty easily. My friends and I are 18-20 anyway, so you wouldn't look too out of place as a 17 year old! It's worth a shot if ya get to hang out with GRRM right!? And believe it or not, you won't be the only sober person there!

Is there actually a "swearing in ceremony" for the BwB??? Does George knight us!?

Nope. We never went much beyond having a name to call ourselves with. Anyone who turns up is a BwBer.

GRRM only knights those that turn up at the annual Worldcon convention. Its held around the world, this year in Montreal, next in Melbourne. Its meant to be challenging. :P

I think Ran will give you a title on this board if you meet GRRM though!

Folks should petition George to have a knighting ceremony for Octocon 2010, an Irish SF convention where he's a guest. I believe tickets/memberships for Octocon 2010 are on sale now at Octocon 2009.

I will definitely be there - Easons and the Oval. I work on Abbey St, so would anyone want me to wander in and see if we could reserve an area? If so, how many people? 20 or so?

A knighting at Octocon would be Super (sorry - running a campaign to bring super back non-ironically). I know a lot of Euro-commies are at least planning to come whereas Montreal and Melbourne were a bit out of the price range.

I will definitely be there - Easons and the Oval. I work on Abbey St, so would anyone want me to wander in and see if we could reserve an area? If so, how many people? 20 or so?

Sure. If you don't mind. :) We are up to around 12 people at the moment. I'm sure 20 isn't a bad target given that we are bound to pick up a few more people.

I walk past it at least twice a day so going in isn't a problem - remembering however, now that's a different story.

At the very least though, it would be nice to have two to three tables near each other free.

Archived