Dublin: The Octocon edition?

Padraig

I'm assuming everyone who posts on this thread is coming along to the meet afterwards. That's why everyone is in the list on the first post. Since I was asked to keep count. But I can remove names if people mention they can't make the meet part.

I'm curious as to what to expect from the moot ... mainly time wise just to get an idea in case it might be a bit late to bring the little one along.

I don't think there is any time pressure. Come in after the signing and leave when it pleases. :)

Hi Parris

I'm planning to come along to both. I'm curious as to what to expect from the moot ... mainly time wise just to get an idea in case it might be a bit late to bring the little one along

SI - the moot is very very very free-form. Folks turn up at the pub, get a drink, order something to eat if desired, and the fun begins. We'll meet new folks, talk about all sorts of things with people we met 15 minutes earlier, share many laughs and have some off-the-cuff fun. There will probably be a few toasts to one and all, George will say 'thanks for coming', and we'll have as much fun as legally allowed until we have to go our separate ways because it's a work night.

I know that doing grownup activities, especially in a pub, is not always easy with little ones in tow. But there should be some time early in the moot when its not too crowded/crazy that you and the little one should be able to enjoy. (I was a kid who spent a lot of time in the local taverns with the folks, got very experienced in jukebox tunes selection and was a pinball junkie before I was 10, but I gather those activities for children are now frowned upon by society). So if your child and your schedule allows, I hope you'll be able to come along, even if you can't stay for very long.

OK I have just purchased flights into Belfast on the 3rd and out of Dublin on the 6th which means I am committed to attending both meets.

So next thing is to sort out accommodation, still looking, still thinking about it. The question is where do I spend the Wednesday night - Belfast or Dublin?

Is there anyone else doing this crazy attend both events thing and if so when are you travelling between the two? If anyone is going to drive and can offer a lift that would be grand, or if you're taking the train that could be a plan as well. Let me know please.

@ sermountaingoat

I am attending both. I will be arriving in Dublin on the 1st, taking the train(bus as well due to damage) from Dublin Connelly station to Belfast Central on the 2nd. We are currently talking in the other thread about possible group rates and lodgings. But then we will be departing again for Dublin on the morning of the 4th. I plan on drinking my Irish fill on the night of the 3rd, so it just seems to make more sense to wait until the 4th to trek back to Dublin.

You are more than welcome to join us on the train my friend.

We are taking the 12:50 train from Dublin - Belfast

and the 11:15 train from Belfast to Dublin

My Dad is diving me up (a tad lame, I know) so I might struggle to get to the pub but I will hopefully arrive in for a stage.

Does anyone know if its possible at all to get George to sign what I think is a 1st edition of aGoT, I'm willing to buy another book but I would be exhilarated and thrilled far beyond any rationality if he signs my book.

Does anyone know if its possible at all to get George to sign what I think is a 1st edition of aGoT, I'm willing to buy another book but I would be exhilarated and thrilled far beyond any rationality if he signs my book.

As far as I know, there should be no problem with signing an old book or two alongside a new book.

Given current numbers, I'm not sure we'll all fit in the top floor of the Oval. I suppose we can spread out...

I personally would prefer us all together.

I mean we're talking 35-40 people now I believe? I have to think that there is at least one good pub in the area that wants to serve 160 beverages if not more. Guaranteed money is always better than a hope.

Are we set on The Oval? I do hear that they make the best Irish Stew you can get ;)

I'm interested in visiting The Brazen Head and The Barge as well, but knowing nothing about the area, these places might be worse about catering to our needs.

Well I'll head into the Oval this week and change the time from 5 to 6, and the expected people from 20ish to 30ish.

Re other places. The Barge certainly wouldn't work as it's a few miles (at least 1) out and not quite in the centre of Dublin. The Brazen Head suffers from a distinct lack of accessability. I do think the Oval is the best bet for at least the early part of the evening. It's literally next door to Eason's and as such, relatively easy for anyone who attends the signing to attend. Imo, if you move it too far from the signing, you will lose the people who could have gone for "one" or who have other commitments to meet.

eta for spelling -some at least

Well I'll head into the Oval this week and change the time from 5 to 6, and the expected people from 20ish to 30ish.

Cool. :)

And sorry, when I said "spread out", I meant go downstairs. :P There is basicly the ground floor and the top floor. And there is a sort of half floor in between. I was thinking the top floor could take up to 40 people but that's tight.

As deedles said, the Oval has loads of advantages. While some will stay for a while, i'm sure some will have to leave early. And others may arrive late. Some of the people on my list may just end up going to the signing.

The Oval has better Irish stew than Gallagher's Boxty House? Well, I'll just have to see about that!

I am delighted to see so many people planning to attend the signing/moot, looks like we'll have a good crowd, large enough to make a pub happy to have us all there for a few hours, large enough for people to have a chance to meet some new friends too.

Oh yeah, these two signings/moots are going to be events to remember for a long time. Bring your image-taking devices!

I'd better get to work on those flyers. Anyone who hasn't heard from me in response to email or pm, nudge me in some way in the next day or so. My email program on the laptop is not working, that limits my ability to respond.

I'm definitely getting excited about these events, which is helping with the usual before-travel panic.

Actually parris I was just going to ask that. The pm system told me two different things and i am not sure the message was even sent. If you get a free minute to check I was wondering if it made it to your inbox.

Could I ask a really stupid question?

I'm trying to make the book signing from work and need to know roughly what time to try to get off...realistically what would be a good time to hit Easons? If anyone could give me an idea, it would be a great help in arranging to get off early - so far it's just been "eh I need to leave early" :thumbsup: thanks!

Archived