Dublin: The Octocon edition?

Padraig

I know I said at the start of this thread that I'd be going, but it seems my luck isn't in this week. A presentation I was supposed to give today has been pushed back 'til tomorrow, and I can't reschedule :( Never thought I'd hate university as much as I do right now, but there ya go! Enjoy, folks!

hello, ive looked in on this forums from time to time but first time to post ill be along to the signing tomorrow. Would be interested in going in oval afterwards. Sorry Im so late in replying a friend told me in was cancelled but then I saw that it wasn't so woot. See you tommorrow.

FFS, I'm racing in Thurles tomorrow.

What are the odds?

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

the fates really like to mess with us, don't they? Still, we'd rather have you racing than not racing, and there will be other times, we'll just have to do without you.

but it won't be as much fun as it would be with you.

damnit.

OK Dubliners and folks from the surrounding counties:

You've got a pretty big challenge to best after the turnout in Belfast.

Sure, we don't have handsome young actors and sweet young proto-asassains to charm the crowds, but George will be there, and the core group of Dublin Bros is well able to hold a moot that will become legendary in the chronicles of Bro-dom.

So get out of bed early, call the boss claiming you've come down with a sore throat and a horrible headache, grab a few friends and head on down to O'Connell St thursday late afternoon to start a evening you'll always remember fondly, if not proudly.

FYI: any marriage proposals undertaken at the Oval are not planned with our help, and are likely to be spontaneous, caused by the heady mix of love, alcohol, and hanging out with the tribe.

see you Thursday, my dear ones!

Only a few hours to go! I'm all excited, and I'm in a different hemisphere! Get up to lots of crazy things, so we can all live vicariously through you. :)

ETA: Bueller? Bueller? Anyone? Bueller?

(Or do I have my time zones wrong again? I know that people will go straight from the signing to the Oval, so nobody's stopping off at a hostel along the way, but c'mon! Folks are relying on you all. :P)

So, I'm in the queue at Easons.

There's a lot of people here.

A lot of people. Am I right in thinking there was about 100 people at the Belfast signing?

There's way more than that here. I'm awful at guessing numbers, so I won't try.

I've met sermountaingoat, romulocks and fiancé, deedles, Peadar, pod and lilsissorcha. I've seen Parris too but not said hi yet.

I'm near the end of the queue, and it's looooong so I'm going to be here a while...

Parris reckoned it was maybe 250.

My girlfriend mentioned that she'd just finished The Armageddon Rag, which I think George was pretty pleased to hear :)

The Oval double booked us, so the group's moved down the street to The Abbey Hotel.

My girlfriend and I are just finishing dinner at a nearby Japanese restaurant and we're heading back up in a bit.

Very cool.

If you manage to chat about the series at all with George or Parris, be interesting to learn how they're dealing with the accents issue. Are Starks going to sound different from Lannisters, that sort of thing. This stuff about dialogue coaching makes one wonder.

How was the bookstore over the size of the signing? Someone said they'd asked in there about it and a staffmember said they were hardly expecting anyone at all and it couldn't go on too long as they had another author in an hour later, which made me laugh :)

Yeah, apparently Dave McKean was scheduled for 6pm, as part of a "theme night" Eason had going. From the Eason twitter:

Fantasy Event! George RR Martin signing-17.00, Dave McKean illustrating with Q&A-18.00. Eason O'Connell St. Dublin, 05/11/09

Oops....

Lol, maybe Dave can draw little direwolves under Martin's signature. :)

But someone really underestimated the amount of travel-lusty Martin fans. That's not only Dubliners there, dear Eason folks. ;)

Archived