Israel and Palestine on trial for war crimes

The Pita

Fucking fuck fuck fucking morons what the fuck fuck fuck I fucking hate them fuck fuck fuck

I'm pretty sure that surmised my opinion well.

The article states that Palestine were wrong for shooting rockets into Israel (The only wrong thing they did, by the way), and that Israel deliberately attacked civilian targets.

Fucking idiots.

Palestine used human shields on their weapons and terrorists. Israel decided to bomb them anyway. Morally questionable? Definitely. A deliberate attack on civilian targets?

Fucking UN idiots.

This, by the way, is my attempt at a balanced post. If I were to say what I really think I think my screen may explode.

Can I have an explanation as to why this is right? And why the only things that Palestine is accused of is firing rockets, and only for their actions during the war?

They used human shields. They illegally smuggled weapons. They kidnapped soldiers, and held them for ransom, all the while abusing them, to the point that all but one of the soldiers they had kidnapped died. Why the fuck is Israel being equated to these monsters?

Using the statistic that 13 Israelis died and 1200 Palestinians died is slanted journalism. It ignores the basic reason for the war, and Israel's history with Palestine.

Basically, what the UN did was equate Israel's crime with Nazi Germany's. And I know that people are fucking sick and tired of hearing of the Holocaust. I don't think it can be ignored, nor should it be.

This is not nearly close to being anywhere near as severe as the US nuking Japan in WW2. Ask most historians, they'll tell you it was a necessary act to end the war.

I'm used to the UN being a bunch of shitheads who go after Israel because when they go after anyone else the other side says "Nah, I don't feel like it." But this is taking it way too far.

Israel has gotten away with more shit than anybody else, simply by pointing out the Holocaust and calling detractors "anti-semites". There is a statute of limitation in place on how long the Holocaust can be used as an excuse for military force.

I agree that putting Israel on par with Nazi Germany is going too far, but Israel has found itself on a slippery slope. And it does have it's nutjobs who are as bad as the Nazi's were. The comments of (assassinated) secretary Ze'evi ("the Palestinians should be eradicated" ~ paraphrasing, it's been a liong time) come to mind here.

Every country has its nutjobs. Mike Huckabee ran for president. Margaret Thatcher was PM for 11 years. Every country has nutjobs, and the role of the people is to make sure the nutjobs don't stay in politics. Israel has gotten away with shit (according to you- I can only remember the one time we got nuclear power underneath the noses of the entire world, 30 years ago, and that's because I read about it in The Samson Option), but many other countries have gotten away with more. See: Iran, who have stated their intentions to destroy Israel, and get nuclear power. Peaceful nuclear power, because their monopoly over oil isn't enough power.

I'd love to see the document, but I don't know how to find it. I heard about it yesterday and didn't believe it, so I searched for it myself and that was the first thing that popped up.

There is no trial, merely a recommendation that " authorities in both Israel and Gaza be required to investigate the allegations and report to the UN Security Council within six months" and a further recommendation that if the authorities fail to investigate the UN Security Council should refer the matter to the ICC for possible prosecution which the US would undoubtedly block.

So there is no trial now and isn't going to be one, or at least certainly not a trial that involves Israel.

Can I have an explanation as to why this is right? And why the only things that Palestine is accused of is firing rockets, and only for their actions during the war?

They used human shields. They illegally smuggled weapons. They kidnapped soldiers, and held them for ransom, all the while abusing them, to the point that all but one of the soldiers they had kidnapped died. Why the fuck is Israel being equated to these monsters?

The mission recommends investigation of not only the indiscriminate firing of rockets which might be a crime against humanity, but also of the abuse of the Palestinian civilian population by Hamas and Fatah. It also recommends the immediate release of Gilad Shalit.

Arms smuggling is not in fact a human rights violation.

And of course the IDF has its own long and well-established history of using Palestinian civilians as human shields. So on that one point equating Hamas and the IDF seems quite reasonable, unless you believe that even the Israeli Supreme Court is engaged in a conspiracy to defame Israel?

Edit for Grauniad level typing

The shit Isreal has gotten away with is the constant bullying of the Palestinians, going to war against Lebanon, and the military operations against Gaza. I know there is another side to this, and I know you're passionate about Israels right to defend itself, but there have been many voices arguing against the way Israel has acted against the Palestinians. If it weren't for the US constantly having Israels back no matter what, we would have seen action against Israel long ago.

Any investigation, no matter how toothless, into the horrible human rights abuses on both sides of that conflict is a good thing. Even though nothing will come of it, it's nice to see it made it at least this far.

Using the statistic that 13 Israelis died and 1200 Palestinians died is slanted journalism. It ignores the basic reason for the war, and Israel's history with Palestine.

Your right. The Palestinian death toll should be WAY higher if we consider the history of the 2 groups.

Israel is actually getting the very tinniest, most useless smidge of heat for the horrible shit it's pulled. It's hilarious to see you get your panties in a twist over it. If this was the US or something instead of Israel, no one would blink an eye at the report.

As if I have to read documents before I can get upset about them!

You're probably on of those cannibalistic Irish-hating psychos who think Mr Smith's so-called 'Modest Proposal' is a swell idea!

As if I have to read documents before I can get upset about them!

You're probably on of those cannibalistic Irish-hating psychos who think Mr Smith's so-called 'Modest Proposal' is a swell idea!

:lol:

Swift, innit?

I'd love to see the document, but I don't know how to find it. I heard about it yesterday and didn't believe it, so I searched for it myself and that was the first thing that popped up.

It's not that hard to find, there's a link to the UN Human Rights Council website with the BBC article.

I haven't got time to read the whole report but it seems reasonable to me from what I have read.

Israel, which had refused to co-operate with the UN fact-finding team, said the report was "clearly one-sided".

hardly a useful objection when one refuses to participate.

i'm not seeing a reference to a trial in the article, except some hand-wringing about referring the report to the ICC.

People should care about the UN. We need some sort of international standard, other than 'whatever the US wants'.

I actually agree. An international organization that cracked down on several situations when they started to kindle would have solved a lot of major problems and might have avoided the multigenerational hatefest going on in the middle east completely.

We should totally make one. We can even steal the peacekeepers from the UN, those people have heart and metaphorical balls that drag the ground when they walk.

That however isn't the United Nations. Their leadership mostly just sits on ass and waggles their fingers at the big problems a year after the crisis is over.

Archived