The dreaded topic.. What if GRRM kills Jon Snow off?

xythil

Jon's whole arc revolves around his paretange and the reveal of it. All of his internal struggle is due to not knowing exactly who he is and where he comes from.

It would be very stupid to kill him off without resolving his main problem. It would also be very bad storytelling.

Not necessarily.

1)His story doesn't really revolve around his parentage. It's a major part of his childhood and therefore his character, and it is a mystery, but it isn't the driving force, and it's only his internal struggle for maybe a book. His greater struggles are with his identity as a whole, with his oaths, with the NW, with freedom, with the meanings of loyalty, acceptance, looking beyond biases, and compromise. His parentage really is a forum obsession, not a character or story-based one.

2)Actually, there is extreme power in not knowing. After all, does it truly matter? Does knowing somehow change who Jon is? Is he defined by his unknown parents? If the answer is "no", then the very lack of an answer can be more powerful than a direct one.

3)Also, there's the question of what state he will be in. There are alternatives of GhostJon, OtherJon, and UnJon (with memories or the like absent), that seem to be commonly ignored as if he is either to be totally reborn or totally dead. I personally believe that these also should be acknowledged.

I mean.. did anyone think when first reading AGOT that Eddard would not last ? Or that Rob would die?

ned, yes. robb, i didn't care

I wouldn't stop reading but I would be blown away. Jon has been built up to far that he HAS to do something integral to the story.

this. Regardless of the fact that i really like Jon, I think that killing him at thins point would be a waste of pages. Ned DID influence the story. Robb's death changed a lot. If Jon is dead, nothing really changes. What was the point? We already had a POV on the wall - 3 prologue POVs, Sam, Mel

Jon's like Arya - if she is killed before she makes it back to westeros, her plotline would have been meaningless. Also, Arya and Jon are two of the characters with more POVs in the whole story (Arya is third, Jon is second). Too much effort to kill him off

I don't think Jon is dead. His own story hasn't ended yet and without Jon how will we see what is going on at The Wall. The Wall is an integral part of the entire series and Jon has been our only link to it since Sam left for Oldtown, and there are no other POV characters at The Wall and I don't think there will be.

I think this is a big step forward for Jon's destiny as Azor Ahai, to allow him to be reborn.

I signed up for this forum solely to reply to this sopic. And i have to say that if Jon Snow is truly killed off then this series is nothing more than a Dallas tv-show with dragons and knights, complete with caracters that come and go without any storyline lasting longer than five episodes. I was annoyed when Eddard died, and hugely dissapointed when Robb died too (even stopped reading the book for over two years cuz i thought hey, whats the point of letting someone tell you about a persons dreams, hopes, motives, strengts, flaws and so on just to have them abruptly snuffed out for no apparent reason? Seems i have better things to do with my time) and if now Jon too is killed i will stop reading the series all together. I mean why bother?

I get the notion that you use caracters to move a plot forward. I get it. But there is more to reading a book than pure plot moving. If the plot alone was all i was interested in a clean account of what is happening in the realm would suffice. "Book 4. The wall held on for another year. Wildlings subdued. New commander arrived but dies shortly after. New king in Mereen. Dragons appear but does nothing" Etc. Just as fun as reading a telephone book, and thats how i would feel about the series should Jon die.

• 6 months later...

I signed up for this forum solely to reply to this sopic. And i have to say that if Jon Snow is truly killed off then this series is nothing more than a Dallas tv-show with dragons and knights, complete with caracters that come and go without any storyline lasting longer than five episodes. I was annoyed when Eddard died, and hugely dissapointed when Robb died too (even stopped reading the book for over two years cuz i thought hey, whats the point of letting someone tell you about a persons dreams, hopes, motives, strengts, flaws and so on just to have them abruptly snuffed out for no apparent reason? Seems i have better things to do with my time) and if now Jon too is killed i will stop reading the series all together. I mean why bother?

I get the notion that you use caracters to move a plot forward. I get it. But there is more to reading a book than pure plot moving. If the plot alone was all i was interested in a clean account of what is happening in the realm would suffice. "Book 4. The wall held on for another year. Wildlings subdued. New commander arrived but dies shortly after. New king in Mereen. Dragons appear but does nothing" Etc. Just as fun as reading a telephone book, and thats how i would feel about the series should Jon die.

How do you feel now after Dance? lol

Lord Snow. Bastard. Good riddance. He knows nothing. He's not even a Stark. :eek:

I looooooove Jon Snow. How come only boys in books are the way we want them to be in real life? (Peeta in The Hunger Games Books reminds me of Jon Snow.) It would break me heart, as Ygritte might say, but I would read ASoIaF until the end. GRRM has broken my heart too many times already but I can't quit him. (Please don't kill off Jon)

Archived