SG: U Spoilers

oneeye

I don't know. That sounds an awful lot like the Wraith. The Ancients show up in Pegasus, run into a few of those life-sucking bugs. Fast forward several eons and the Wraith evolve to adapt their technology, steal their life energy, and take over the galaxy.

They undoubtedly will have an enemy as all the Stargate shows have had them. We'll have to see what they come up with.

It's tricky coming up with original ones. Even my suggestion of the "resistance" style villains could be accused of being the gennai. It's all going to be down to the execution as I doubt their are any original villains left even within the stargate franchise, nevermind as a whole.

I still think the first 10-12 episodes should be largely concerning the cast trying to survive on the "Destiny". It will give us time to get to know them all and let us know what the ship can do. I always felt like they took too long to explore atlantis.

I watched this a few nights ago and gotta say I really enjoyed it - then again, I've been looking for a bit of Scifi since BSG disappeared.

Love Carlye's character and hope Scott grows some balls. I dl'ed this and couldnt help giggling at Syfy written in the corner :box:

ETA: I did find myself grinning at random points just because I was rather happy to be watching something scifi.

I watched this a few nights ago and gotta say I really enjoyed it - then again, I've been looking for a bit of Scifi since BSG disappeared.

Love Carlye's character and hope Scott grows some balls. I dl'ed this and couldnt help giggling at Syfy written in the corner :box:

ETA: I did find myself grinning at random points just because I was rather happy to be watching something scifi.

You actually have a good point. There's very little "in space" sci-fi on air now. Other than "defying Gravity" and that seems to have disappeared sadly. I'm trying to think of anything else but drawing a blank.

I wonder of those farscape webisodes will ever see light of day?

I think I heard that Defying Gravity was canceled. I don't remember where that was though.

They made Farscape webisodes?

I think Defying gravity is dead but there's some unaired episodes still to see.

The farscape webisodes have been long in discussion but i think they are waiting for some money or something.

I think Defying gravity is dead but there's some unaired episodes still to see.

The farscape webisodes have been long in discussion but i think they are waiting for some money or something.

The remaining Defying Gravity episodes are playing on SPACE in Canada, probably on CTV as well. I don't see them yet on

http://watch.ctv.ca/defying-gravity/

I hope CTV, ProSieben (in Germany) and BBC continue to fund more seasons, but it is probably unlikely.

So, thoughts on the latest episode?

I enjoyed it for the most part, though I couldn't point to anything that happened and say "I liked that!" Still enjoying the characters of Eli and Scott, and even found myself liking Greer a bit. Was intrigued by the shuttle flying off at the end - maybe the sand creature made it through the wormhole?

Things that were a bit iffy:

- The senator's wife knows all about the Stargate project? Seems a bit of a breach of protocol...her grief seemed a bit forced, too.

- When we last saw the communications device, it wasn't a body switcher, but rather a body controller - the people who got taken over weren't able to use the bodies of the people who had come into them. Seems like a bit of a lapse in consistency there.

- The priest/Jesus hallucinations seemed a little ham-handed to me...

So, thoughts on the latest episode?

Overall i also enjoyed it. They could have done something a bit different with the sand though. I dont want to see earth clones everywhere. I want alien deserts. I've never seen a blue desert before. They have gotta try mix things up a bit. Non humanoid life forms and problems with communication aswell as alien landscapes.

I enjoyed it for the most part, though I couldn't point to anything that happened and say "I liked that!" Still enjoying the characters of Eli and Scott, and even found myself liking Greer a bit. Was intrigued by the shuttle flying off at the end - maybe the sand creature made it through the wormhole?

Yeah was a bit confused there too, I cant remember from the first two episodes if they had a funeral for the senator, or maybe that was them jettisoning the shuttle

Things that were a bit iffy:

- The senator's wife knows all about the Stargate project? Seems a bit of a breach of protocol...her grief seemed a bit forced, too.

Yeah, the grief seemed way to much, we'll probably get a b it of backstory. (I hope) in future episodes.

- When we last saw the communications device, it wasn't a body switcher, but rather a body controller - the people who got taken over weren't able to use the bodies of the people who had come into them. Seems like a bit of a lapse in consistency there.

I disagree with you there, but like I said I cant really remember the first two episodes that well as I wasn't really completely sober when I watch it.

I really like the ability to swop bodies, its going to have be both a boon and a curse. Connecting with loved ones and bringing experts in. Giving trapped people some 'shore leave' back on earth too maybe. We also saw inconsistencies in command between the two colonels, this could rock.

Maybe they decided to change things up after the pilot was greenlit. I'll give em a rewatch some time soon and repost.

- The priest/Jesus hallucinations seemed a little ham-handed to me...

Totally agree, but then they're trying to give us motivation for Scott's character and always trying so hard. Meh, it could be worse.

I really want to know what happened to two that went through the stargate to another planet. The guy with them was a soldier right? Disobeying a command like that seems to go against the grain BUT we've been seeing alot of that with the Colonel injured and not being ontop of everything.

the communications device

When Rush used it I thought he had used it as just a voice controller. If it there was a body switch when Rush used then the only way I can see the writers explaining it away is if Rush had the foresight to lock himself in a room to prevent the recipricate from contacting the rest of the crew while he was back on Earth.

Body switching is quite a leap from voice/body control (which presumably would be one way at a time) and it would be open to abuse as Lou Diamond Phillips showed with his disregard of Col. Young's condition.

Bringing experts in to occasionally help out is one advantage but the possibility of surrogates waiting back on Earth to facilitate 'shore leave' for the Destiny crew seems sordid* dodgy IMO unless there are strict guidelines and supervision even.

* Too strong for what I intended to say, if this was Showtime or HBO I would half expect it. I prefer it to have remained a body controller but it seems Body switcher we now have. It will be interesting to see how they explore it's use from now on.

What I meant about the communications device being wrong is by comparing how it worked in SG:U with how it worked when it was originally found at the beginning of Season 9 of SG-1. Jackson and Valla are in a coma while they use the device to visit the Ori's galaxy...and those are the same stones they're using now, albeit with a different controlling mechanism. I suppose they could say the scientists found a way to make the arrangement reciprocal, but I don't see why they'd want to...

What I meant about the communications device being wrong is by comparing how it worked in SG:U with how it worked when it was originally found at the beginning of Season 9 of SG-1.

Think of them as a VCR. When you first got it, you could only get it to play and record. Now after playing around with it for awhile, you can set when you want it to record, what you want it to record even change channels while recording.

Suspend your disbelief :)

No the shuttle wasn't part of the ship and wasn't the one the Senator died in.

The ship has 2 big shuttles with wings forward and either side of the main super structure, one of these has the dead Senator.

I am suprised the ship doesn't have puddle jumpers.

The body switching device was used in SG-1 when they introduced the Ori. I vaguely recall it being a body swapping device there but I'm not certain - when I saw it in the pilot I assuned that's what it could do though. I actually thought Rush was lying through his teeth about using it and claining he was in charge and was hoping that would be confirmed in this episode.

What really bugs me is that they use the same actors depsite the body switch. I suspect, like above, that syfy wants to keep it simple but in fact are making it more complicated. It's also pretty insulting to the actors to.

The alcoholic mum-drunk scene was incredibly cheesy/over-acted. I hope we don't see her again regardless of her threat.

I guess sand makes a change from a forest but it would be fun to seem something a little more alien now they are so far away.

I'm starting to really like Greer (?) as he is by far the most complex one. Most of the time he is an aggressive, selfish cock yet he still went back for Scott(?) without any reservation. I was half expecting him to just run off with the limestone, so it's nice to see he's loyal to his friends at least. Still haven't seen enough of Carlyle's character to form any strong conclusion but he seems fairly interesting too.

As for the end, if Eli really wanted to be heroic he could have ran over and helped them seeming though he had just been standing around for hours. It annoyed me how he just stood and watched two exhausted men run with a heavy sack of sand.

I'm not sure it was a ship that left "Destiny" at the end, rather a beacon/pod. I can't say for sure without a sense of scale for the ship though. I'm sure it will be resolved as well as the two characters who went to the other planet. Maybe the two things are connected and it was an automated rescue ship?

When they introduced the communications device the first time, Daniel and Vala were definitely in a coma and they people they "swapped" with did not manifest. Just a hunch, but perhaps they didn't because there wasn't an active communications device on the other end. There was a device with stones which is how they were able to do it in the first place, but it wasn't turned on. Or maybe that's just bullshit. :dunno:

Anyway, I'm sure they'll work up some more stuff with the body swapping. I just hope they don't overdo it.

Yeah, I'm wondering what happened to the other two characters and hopefully they'll resolve that. I'm with red snow that the thing that left the ship at the end was just a probe of some kind.

Red Snow, you have to give props, though. Eli was kinda 'holding the door' for them and the risk of his own limb. I thought it showed the arrogance of Rush telling Eli to put his hand through rather than doing it himself. I mean, they were all standing by the portal.

Granted, yeah, it would have been taking the initiative on his part and running out to help Scott and Greer once he saw them on the horizon. I suppose we're supposed to see the computer/gamer geek evolve into a hero, but not so immediately? My guess, anyway.

My issue was the portal being in a desert and -not- being hidden in a dune. I realize that kind of blows it for the plot, but it seemed too convenient.

I got the feeling that the little dust devil was sentient, like a native life-form of that planet. Everything else, besides the lake, was just a illusion. Too optimistic?

I love Greer. So far, he's been my favorite. I don't care for jar-head bullies, but I get this feeling we'll learn a lot about him and find he's just angry about whatever happened to between him and Wray (Ming Na) that got him thrown into the brig. I am guessing that we'll come to find out that he's justified.

I'm starting to like the medic, Johansen, a bit. I didn't at first, she seemed wooden and annoying. This last episode I saw a bit more depth (not much) to her. Enough to get me interested.

Don't like Chloe. He whole story-line can go away. I agree, her mother nonsense was just annoying and over-dramatic.

Initially I thought maybe Eli getting the little prob thing was to send in after the two who'd gone through to the random address. Ah well. I think we'll eventually find out what happened to them. I definitely figured 'extra un-known soldier' was Guy, a red-shirt.

Red Snow, you have to give props, though. Eli was kinda 'holding the door' for them and the risk of his own limb. I thought it showed the arrogance of Rush telling Eli to put his hand through rather than doing it himself. I mean, they were all standing by the portal.

My issue was the portal being in a desert and -not- being hidden in a dune. I realize that kind of blows it for the plot, but it seemed too convenient.

I got the feeling that the little dust devil was sentient, like a native life-form of that planet. Everything else, besides the lake, was just a illusion. Too optimistic?

I love Greer. So far, he's been my favorite. I don't care for jar-head bullies, but I get this feeling we'll learn a lot about him and find he's just angry about whatever happened to between him and Wray (Ming Na) that got him thrown into the brig. I am guessing that we'll come to find out that he's justified.

I didn't realise the importance of him sticking his arm in the gate until you just explained it. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt as the gate may have closed if he went to help them.

The gate being unburied was an interesting observation too. Maybe the little sandstorm critter kept it neat and tidy ;)

I'll be quite impressed if by the end of the season Greer is actually a likeable character. Like you say we don't know why he's pissed yet.

Another nice character moment for me was when Scott split the team into two and told eli he was in charge of the other group because he trusted him. Then as soon as they went their separate ways Scott mutters "now we might actually cover some ground". Two-faced but a good leader in the making.

Archived