Drogo cast?

Werthead

It's a semi-open secret that Conan Stevens auditioned for the role of Drogo on GoT (mainly because it was a member of WiC who suggested he audition), as well as the fact he didn't think he'd get it but was hopeful there was 'another role' (i.e. Gregor) he might be called for later in the season, if it gets the pick-up.

On his home site, he has updated his news on the auditioning process, confirming he was passed over in favour of someone who looks much more closely the part.

A few readings through I found a style I was comfortable with (it's hard to be natural and display the right emotions when you are doing a heavy accent). So they view the audition, they chose another guy who has the look that they were originally after (I did not look anything like the character description except for being over six feet and muscular). My agent was like "don't worry we'll try again for some other roles"

Worry? Who's worried. Everything worked out very well.

I chased down the audition myself thanks to a reader of my website giving me the heads up that the casting process was going on, so I got to do the casting but I did not land the part, no surprise there, I would have be a last resort if they could not find anyone else... I already knew this when I tried to get the casting.

BUT I did get in front of the casting people. Remember this is a pilot, only a few of the characters from the full TV show will be introduced in the first episode (the pilot).

There will be other characters, there is one in fact that I believe that I am very suitable for.

Interesting! :)

Did he add to his original post about that part? The date is Sept. 4th, but I don't remember all those details about doing the video and such.

Clearly he is talking about Drogo, but as several of us have suspected his ulterior motive is probably to get on the radar about the Gregor part (which he's far more suited for).

However, I didn't get from that post that Drogo was cast...maybe it was, which is why he knows it isn't him. But you kind of have to read between the lines. They may have just said "no" on him for that role without having cast it yet. That being said, it better get cast very soon, time's running out. (Doh, re-read his post, I totally missed the line in the middle where he said some other guy was cast.)

I assume his saying that they chose another guy who has the look they were originally looking for means that they've cast someone, or at least have made an offer to someone else. Cool.

Heh.

"Why can't you turn your computer on?"

"Uhh... umm... no.... it's working now, see? you can go away! ha ha, silly me leaving the power cord out, heh. heh. oh dear god don't hurt me."

Wonder when GRRM will give us the hints though.

Any clues yet on Drogo? I'm excited it's said they cast someone who looks the part as written. I'm fine with Conan Stevens as The Mountain, but not Drogo. And since the Mountain is who he really wants to play...

Now, who is Drogo.

What about Jay Laga'aia?

Hmmm, I liked him in 'Once we were warriors', but I think he looks too Maori and I guess I imagined Drogo as looking more Mongolian or eastern Russian. I guess I wouldn't be upset if he were cast, just not what I imagine a Dothraki to look like.

Hmmm, I liked him in 'Once we were warriors', but I think he looks too Maori and I guess I imagined Drogo as looking more Mongolian or eastern Russian. I guess I wouldn't be upset if he were cast, just not what I imagine a Dothraki to look like.

You are thinking of the wrong Maori that was in the Star Wars prequels. Temuera Morrison was in Once Were Warriors (and pretty spectacular) and Jango Fett. Jay Laga'aia was Captain Typho, Padme's head of security.

OMG I'm such a nerd.

You are thinking of the wrong Maori that was in the Star Wars prequels. Temuera Morrison was in Once Were Warriors (and pretty spectacular) and Jango Fett. Jay Laga'aia was Captain Typho, Padme's head of security.

OMG I'm such a nerd.

Wow, I totally thought that was him in 'Once we were warriors'! Still, Maori and not what I imagined a Dothraki to look like. Wasn't he in quite a few Xena episodes? He looks very familiar and not from the Star Wars prequels, I couldn't stand the prequels (I know, blasphemy).

And yes, you are a nerd- stand in line... :grouphug:

Conan sounds like an awesome dude, I hope he gets Gregor.

A couple of months ago we had an armed robber hold the girl in the apartment next to mine at gun point and try to rob her. She screamed, which awoke me and alerted some other residents.

As soon as I heard the scream I jumped up out of bed, ran to the door and heard Ski, the apartment owner call "Stop him." I knew something was up.

Dressed only in red boardshorts I raced dopwnstairs to find a Thai guy struggling with one Thai resident and Ski, the American owner helping. I pushed them both out of the way and...

... grabbed hte robber put him in a sleeper hold (who says Pro-Wrestling isn't real?) and the robber had a little nap. Upon Ski's suggestion I checked his pockets and found a razor knife, his bum bag had already been torn off in the struggle.

Taking control of our prisoner I forced him to the ground and threatened to smash his face in if he moved. The Thai Police arrived quickly with the Pattaya People media crew, and so it turned out that I appeared not only in the Pattaya Newspapers and TV but a friend in Bangkok said he saw me on national TV too.

I love the video of the incident, Conan is shirtless walking around all menacing, and he sees the camera and immediately flexes, a born showman. Plus he looks like he could tear your head off with his bare hands.

Conan sounds like an awesome dude, I hope he gets Gregor. ... I love the video of the incident, Conan is shirtless walking around all menacing, and he sees the camera and immediately flexes, a born showman. Plus he looks like he could tear your head off with his bare hands.

LOL - wth with the flexing?? hah, that's hilarious (and endearing). I second the hope that he will be Gregor if there's a season order. I'm sure someone's already pointed this out, but looks-wise, he could pass as McCann's brother, and not just with size, but also coloring, facial structure, etc.

...and the robber had a little nap.

:rofl:

Best line coming from a giant like him. Awesome.

Back to Jay for a sec, he was in SWII as well. Padme's security guard. I can see him as Drogo alright. Though making him Maori means that all of the Bloodriders need to be as well. Is there a large Maori population in Morocco? :)

GRRM said a few days ago there are three speaking roles that haven't been cast yet. I believe the only speaking parts in the pilot that either aren't official or haven't been figured out by sites like WiC are Khal Drogo, Maester Luwin, and Illyrio Mopatis. Most likely they eliminated Conan Stevens because they were looking for someone with a more exotic look for Drogo, but haven't signed anyone for the part yet.

Archived