Football thread 14

Jon AS

If you have such a narrow view of Europe, you should also include Iceland, Russia, Malta and Cyprus in there.

I have no problem with them. Most of Russia's population is this side of the Ural mountains, and Cyprus & Malta are close enough to Europe with historical links as well. Iceland is pretty much part of Europe since it was part of Norway & Denmark for about one thousand years.

Bent to score a couple.

Well he got one, with the help of a beach ball or something. Then Craig 'future best goalkeeper in the world' Gordon saved Sunderland's collective ass once again.

Dundee United grabbed a late equaliser against Hamilton, which is the second time in two home games against Hamilton they've had to do that. Hamilton are United's bogey team. :(

A week ago Celtic were four points clear of Rangers and everyone was writing Rangers off after three consecutive goalless draws in the league. Now Rangers are a point ahead of Celtic so expect the press to be slagging off Celtic for the next couple of months until Rangers have a bad patch and the tabels are turned.

Wow. Liverpool beaten by Sunderland, they now drop to what, 8th or 9th place. Villa passes Liverpool even with a game in hand, beating Chelsea. Man U manages to benefit from Chelsea's defeat with yet another meagre home victory. Arsenal picks up another win and moves up.

If Man City win tomorrow they move into the top 3 as well.

The big clubs look somewhat unimpressive sofar this year. Arsenal is apt to drop points in between a string of good and interesting to watch matches. Man United is fairly consistent but hasn't really excelled in more than one or two matches. Chelsea also takes surprising losses lately. Liverpool without Alonso and with a powerless Benitez still at the helm has become a second string side.

I have no problem with them. Most of Russia's population is this side of the Ural mountains, and Cyprus & Malta are close enough to Europe with historical links as well. Iceland is pretty much part of Europe since it was part of Norway & Denmark for about one thousand years.

Georgia, Armenia and Azerbaijan are all west of the Urals too. :)

For this purpose they are. They do belong to AFC after all, and that's what counts for FIFA.

Very true.

As is Turkey, but they seem more Asian to me. (Not a particularly meaningfull point I know...)

They're classed as Europe for the purposes of the Eurovision Song Contest, as well as by UEFA. The only country that really shouldn't be in UEFA is Kazakhstan.

Well he got one, with the help of a beach ball or something. Then Craig 'future best goalkeeper in the world' Gordon saved Sunderland's collective ass once again.

Even though we outclassed Liverpool for most of the game, they only started having chances in the last 15 minutes or so. Bent should have had a hat-trick, Henderson and Malbranque both missed easy enough chances too.

Cana was immense, I knew he was going to be a great signing. Nicked right under Arsenal's nose, and he's been brilliant so far this season. But we were by far the better team today.

Even though we outclassed Liverpool for most of the game, they only started having chances in the last 15 minutes or so. Bent should have had a hat-trick, Henderson and Malbranque both missed easy enough chances too.

Cana was immense, I knew he was going to be a great signing. Nicked right under Arsenal's nose, and he's been brilliant so far this season. But we were by far the better team today.

Cana is a great player. In fact, no offense intended but I was surprised when he chose to go to Sunderland this summer, 'cause I really thought that he could aim higher... But it seems that you're doing well so far this year, so maybe his choice will prove right in the end.

Yeah, when I first saw we signed him, I was shocked, and actually thought it was a joke. He was probably Marseille's best player last season, and he and Cattermole have been fantastic this season. Cattermole has probably been better so far this season, but Cana had a brilliant performance today.

And of course Andy Reid is outclassing everyone in terms of creativity.

The spine of Sunderland's team is quite strong, now:

Gordon

Ferdinand-Turner

Cana-Cattermole

Bent-Jones

Still need to fix the wide areas, I feel.

A week ago Celtic were four points clear of Rangers and everyone was writing Rangers off after three consecutive goalless draws in the league. Now Rangers are a point ahead of Celtic

Just a matter of time. We fucking rocked it yesterday. Played some nice, entertaining football. Was amusing to see McGeady, Maloney, McGinn and McCourt all on the pitch, at the same time. :D Shame McGeady's shit at heading the ball, and McDonald was having an off-day.

I was just looking at some comments about the beach ball incidents in the liverpool sunderland match and came across this beaut

Glen Johnson has admitted that he should have been­ keeping an eye on beachball, He also said in his­ statement that he should never have let beachball sneak­ into a scoring position but also praised Darren Bent­ saying it was a cleverly disguised pass to beachball­ and the finish was second to none. he said so confident­ was beachball in his scoring ability he even ran off­ behind the goal to celibrate before the ball crossed­ the line, Johnson finished by saying that this is­ exactly what liverpool are lacking at the minute a­ striker of beachballs talent and confidence.

So, the nominations for this year's Ballon d'Or have been announced. Biggest surprise on there has to be Ryan Giggs. He's a fine player, but still, I wouldn't have selected him.

Full list of nominees:

Andrei Arshavin (Russia) Arsenal

Karim Benzema (France) Olympique Lyon then Real Madrid

Iker Casillas (Spain) Real Madrid

Cristiano Ronaldo (Portugal) Manchester United then Real Madrid

Diego (Brazil) Werder Bremen then Juventus

Didier Drogba (Ivory Coast) Chelsea

Edin Dzeko (Bosnia) VfL Wolfsburg

Samuel Eto'o (Cameroon) Barcelona then Inter Milan

Cesc Fabregas (Spain) Arsenal

Fernando Torres (Spain) Liverpool

Diego Forlan (Uruguay) Atletico Madrid

Steven Gerrard (England) Liverpool

Ryan Giggs (Wales) Manchester United

Yoann Gourcuff (France) Bordeaux

Thierry Henry (France) Barcelona

Zlatan Ibrahimovic (Sweden) Inter Milan then Barcelona

Andres Iniesta (Spain) Barcelona

Julio Cesar (Brazil) Inter Milan

Kaka (Brazil) AC Milan then Real Madrid

Frank Lampard (England) Chelsea

Maicon (Brazil) Inter Milan

Lionel Messi (Argentina) Barcelona

Luis Fabiano (Brazil) Sevilla

Franck Ribery (France) Bayern Munich

Wayne Rooney (England) Manchester United

John Terry (England) Chelsea

Nemanja Vidic (Serbia) Manchester United

David Villa (Spain) Valencia

Xavi (Spain) Barcelona

Yaya Toure (Ivory Coast) Barcelona

Who would you all pick?

Well I guess it's gonna be Messi's year, if only for Barça's last season. I'd love to see a player like Iniesta win it though...

But the Ballon d'or has always been more of a popularity contest than anything else.

And this year, on 30 nominees we have... 3 defenders ! Come on, France Football, you really could try harder. But it's not as if they knew something of football.

Archived