Pratchett II: The Wrath of Om

Werthead

While I love Death, and Susan is strong, some of the weakest books, imo, have been Susan ones.

Now that you say this, I would agree. I really, really like Susan, but yeah - the books themselves aren't the strongest ones. Although I will argue Hogfather, I liked that a lot. Soul Music I don't think I ever reread. That's rare for me, so I guess that's how I feel about that.

I guess i need to reread Hogfather. It is getting a ton of love, and I had it lower on my list than most. And its true, I love Susan, just not the stories around her. Taking on the boogyman with a poker is CLASSIC.

I rather liked Unseen Academicals!

We finally get a glimpse of Vetinari and his... his.. um er... friend. I also liked the evil race featured in it. The parts with the dwarf fashion world were also hilarious.

• 2 weeks later...

I liked Unseen.

Rincewind books tend to be the ones to which I most looked forward, though I was hoping for some character development at some point.

Vimes is getting played out, might be a good idea to give the lead role to someone else.

Never get tired of death, and I like Susan, but I think she's done her job.

Thief of Time was probably my favorite, loved the 5th rider - I would like the MC to do some cameos. Mort was loveable, got me hooked right away. First two get honorable placement, as well as being the greatest 'adventure books' of the entire series. The Twelth Night adaption was one of my favorite of that type.

• 2 weeks later...

Did anyone catch this?

"Terry Pratchett concludes the adventures of young witch Tiffany Aching and the tiny-yet endearingly rowdy-Wee Free Men in I Shall Wear Midnight"

From the main website. Did anyone else know that they just read the last Aching book?

I guess i need to reread Hogfather. It is getting a ton of love, and I had it lower on my list than most. And its true, I love Susan, just not the stories around her. Taking on the boogyman with a poker is CLASSIC.

I think one of the big things with Pratchett is where in sequence you read the books. Obviously everyone has different humor tastes so there will be alot of variation in favorites, but I also think that Pratchett has recycled alot of humor aspects among his books over the years, so if you come across the same humor situation for the second or third time it becomes stale. I personally really like Hogfather, it's one of my favorites by Pratchett, and enjoyed Soul Music as well. I was disappointed by Reaper man, but I read Reaper man after I read Hogfather and Soul Music, pretty much backwards in order. My ex-GF read Reaper Man first, and it's one of her favorite Pratchett novels.

I've not read the last few Pratchett novels, but a new Vimes novel would probably peak my interest. Although I agree with others that I though Thud was a good conclusion for him, I particularly enjoyed the ending and the watchman inside the watchman setup.

My favorite Pratchett discworld books would probably be:

1.Night Watch

2.Small gods

3.Hogfather

4.Feet of Clay

5.The Truth/Thief of Time

So I guess I'm a bit higher on the death/susan books bandwagon than most.

Did anyone catch this?

"Terry Pratchett concludes the adventures of young witch Tiffany Aching and the tiny-yet endearingly rowdy-Wee Free Men in I Shall Wear Midnight"

From the main website. Did anyone else know that they just read the last Aching book?

I didn't know whether or not it was the last.

But it works well as a conclusion for Tiffany.

I think one of the big things with Pratchett is where in sequence you read the books. Obviously everyone has different humor tastes so there will be alot of variation in favorites, but I also think that Pratchett has recycled alot of humor aspects among his books over the years, so if you come across the same humor situation for the second or third time it becomes stale. I personally really like Hogfather, it's one of my favorites by Pratchett, and enjoyed Soul Music as well. I was disappointed by Reaper man, but I read Reaper man after I read Hogfather and Soul Music, pretty much backwards in order. My ex-GF read Reaper Man first, and it's one of her favorite Pratchett novels.

I've not read the last few Pratchett novels, but a new Vimes novel would probably peak my interest. Although I agree with others that I though Thud was a good conclusion for him, I particularly enjoyed the ending and the watchman inside the watchman setup.

My favorite Pratchett discworld books would probably be:

1.Night Watch

2.Small gods

3.Hogfather

4.Feet of Clay

5.The Truth/Thief of Time

So I guess I'm a bit higher on the death/susan books bandwagon than most.

Yeah, for me, Carpe Jugulum definitely suffered in comparison to Lords and Ladies. It felt like he just replaced elves with Vampires for CJ.

I didn't know whether or not it was the last.

But it works well as a conclusion for Tiffany.

Yeah, for me, Carpe Jugulum definitely suffered in comparison to Lords and Ladies. It felt like he just replaced elves with Vampires for CJ.

Yeah, wasn't all that fond of Carpe Jugulum, except for a few nice Esme moments. My favorites change occasionally, but for Discworld currently are:

Small Gods

Night Watch

Hogfather

Reaper Man

Lords and Ladies

Hat Full of Sky

Though Nation is one of my favorites of his overall.

Yeah, wasn't all that fond of Carpe Jugulum, except for a few nice Esme moments.

Agreed, CJ struggled.

It was a pale imitation of Lords and Ladies, which had the excellent elvish antagonists, the tension between Magrat and Granny, upstart competition, the development of Nanny as a character (previously under-used) and better humor around the Yorkshire Lancre mindset.

CJ continued the coven dynamic arc with Perdita replacing Magrat and Granny feeling pushed aside, but the pastoral vampires did not have the same resonance as lingering cultural memory in nursery rhymes and superstitions about horse-shoes.

Agreed, CJ struggled.

It was a pale imitation of Lords and Ladies, which had the excellent elvish antagonists, the tension between Magrat and Granny, upstart competition, the development of Nanny as a character (previously under-used) and better humor around the Yorkshire Lancre mindset.

Yeah, the witches and Rincewind books are the main books I was thinking of with Pratchett recycling jokes and situations. Both of those setups have just gotten more meh as they progressed. Nanny is always amusing, but the books were pretty average other than that compared to earlier witches novels like Lords and Ladies.

• 4 months later...

Does Snuff have the same coverart in the US and UK? That would be a first, I think...

I reread Moving Pictures while on vacation. Makes for great summer reading. It's sort of a guilty pleasure Pratchett, charming on the parodical level more than a biting satire; you can see the seeds of so much of the direction discworld would take in critiquing modern culture as Pratchett's style matured in later books.

• 5 weeks later...

New Snuff blurb from the US publisher:

For nearly three decades, Terry Pratchett has enthralled millions of fans worldwide with his irreverent, wonderfully funny satires set in the fabulously imaginative Discworld, a universe remarkably similar to our own. From sports to religion, politics to education, science to capitalism, and everything in between, Pratchett has skewered sacred cows with both laughter and wisdom, and exposed our warts, foibles, and eccentricities in a unique, entertaining, and ultimately serious way.

At long last, Lady Sybil has lured her husband, Sam Vimes, on a well-deserved holiday away from the crime and grime of Ankh-Morpork. But for the commander of the City Watch, a vacation in the country is anything but relaxing. The balls, the teas, the muck—not to mention all that fresh air and birdsong—are more than a bit taxing on a cynical city-born and -bred copper.

Yet a policeman will find a crime anywhere if he decides to look hard enough, and it’s not long before a body is discovered, and Sam—out of his jurisdiction, out of his element, and out of bacon sandwiches (thanks to his well-meaning wife)—must rely on his instincts, guile, and street smarts to see justice done. As he sets off on the chase, though, he must remember to watch where he steps. . . . This is the countryside, after all, and the streets most definitely are not paved with gold.

Hailed as the “purely funniest English writer since Wodehouse” (Washington Post Book World), with a “satirist’s instinct for the absurd and a cartoonist’s eye for the telling detail” (Daily Telegraph, London), Terry Pratchett offers a novel of crime, class, prejudice, and punishment that shows this master at his dazzling best.

http://www.harpercol...8&HCHP=TB_Snuff

Granny Weatherwax is one of the greatest female characters ever written. I love the witches they make me smile. Loved Magrat going all Rambo in Lords and Ladies. I love sir Terry I discovered him at 18 i'm now 42 and he has kept me going through any dark days that I have had. My favorites are any with the the witches in, Men at Arms, the Night watch and having recently read Nation I would have to put that in my top ten as well. What can I say about Vetinari as well I keep thinking as I read ASOIAF that all they need to do is fetch him over from Anhk Morpork and he would have the whole mess sorted out without even having to raise his voice!

On a side note am I the only person who thinks she is slowly turning into Granny Weatherwax but knows deep down she is actually turning into Nanny Ogg! :D

Archived