Pratchett II: The Wrath of Om

Werthead

A plot synopsis for I Shall Were Midnight. The book will be published in September 2010.

New York Times bestselling author and Printz Honor medalist Terry Pratchett combines comedy and thrilling action in the final breathtaking adventure of Tiffany Aching and the Wee Free Men.

When she was nine, Tiffany Aching took on the Queen of Fairyland, armed with only a frying pan.

At eleven, she defeated the ancient, bodiless hiver.

At thirteen, she saved the world from the threat of endless winter.

In Tiffany’s final adventure, the young witch faces an insidious new foe, one who whispers threats of violence and quietly unleashes havoc. Evil is abroad in the land. And along with her allies, the diminutive-yet-fierce Wee Free Men, Tiffany may know evil when she sees it, but where does evil start, and where — and how — does it end?

Multiple award winner and New York Times bestseller Terry Pratchett spins a tale — both wickedly funny and profoundly chilling — about the perils of ignorance and the cost of knowledge.

http://www.harpercollinscatalogs.com/harper/503_1595_313634353339.htm

• 4 weeks later...

Ooh, I'm excited for this even though I'm not a big fan of Tiffany - she's the least interesting of the Witches IMO, although I eventually settle down and tolerate her as the book goes on (which is more than I can do for Susan). I just want to see the Feegles again.

Right now I'm re-reading The Fifth Elephant. This isn't one of Pratchett's stronger novels (has a bit of recycled feel to it), but I love and despise this novel so much that I keep coming back to it. I love it because it's entertaining to see Vimes abroad, and because I love to see Vimes and Sybil having a real relationship (they are such a lovable pair). I hate The Fifth Elephant, on the other hand, because of Angua and Carrot. Angua is the biggest drama queen I've ever encountered in a Pratchett novel, ever. And I always find it offensive that Vimes never tells her off for abandoning the City Watch without explanation or warning and tearing off to Uberwald. It's because of Angua and Carrot's muttonheaded behavior that Fred Colon inflicts havoc everywhere. She doesn't have any sense of responsibility. This isn't the first time, either. (Angua spoiled Men At Arms for me.) I wouldn't mind Angua if Vimes just demoted her to Lance-Constable or just made her a part-time Watch hound or something.

I would just like it if Pratchett could acknowledge the fact that Angua is occasionally as self-centered and idiotic as Christine from Maskerade.

It feels nice to have got that off my chest.

Now I can return to the book with some measure of sanity. Hmm. Vimes is protecting his awesome wife from werewolves.

Re: Fifth Elephant

I think many people don't like the book because its the only time Carrot ever gets beaten. Ever.

I don't think Angua is nearly as bad as you say. She's almost as sarcastic as Vimes and has a pretty good head on her shoulders. I mean, if you found out your brother was forming a quasi-Nazi regime and only you had the power to stop him, wouldn't you do something about it. Given the fact that Angua has constantly been on the run, this is entirely consistent with her character.

To me, she is much more a realistic take on a humanized were-wolf than any of the urban fantasy equivalents put out by Carrie Vaugh, Laura Hamilton, or Jim Butcher. She is the opposite of a drama queen and nowhere near as bad as Christine from Maskerade.

I mean, if you found out your brother was forming a quasi-Nazi regime and only you had the power to stop him, wouldn't you do something about it.

You know what I'd do about it? If I knew my brother was about to cause absolute political havoc in Uberwald by fucking up their king and government, I'd tell my boss, especially if my boss happens to be the fucking A-M ambassador to Uberwald. And since my boss originally wanted me to come along in his retinue anyway, I would have gone to Uberwald in an official capacity and told him what the fuck was going on, which incidentally would have also avoided getting Lady Sybil into danger, and would have saved the life of Inigo Skimmer.

And that would also be a hundred times smarter than just abandoning both Vimes and the Watch and running off on a hare-brained adventure without telling anyone why.

Given the fact that Angua has constantly been on the run, this is entirely consistent with her character.

I know - the thing I don't like about Angua is that she consistently behaves like this and never gets told off for it. Is it supposed to be somehow excusable if she consistently behaves like a drama queen?

To me, she is much more a realistic take on a humanized were-wolf than any of the urban fantasy equivalents put out by Carrie Vaugh, Laura Hamilton, or Jim Butcher. She is the opposite of a drama queen and nowhere near as bad as Christine from Maskerade.

Yeah...I was exaggerating about Christine. Slightly, anyway.

I actually agree that Angua's realistic in many respects. But I think it's unrealistic that she never gets into trouble for the things she does. Angua has hangups, but she isn't the only freak in the Watch. The zombies have their issues too (and are vocal about it), but they don't suddenly drop everything and run away from duty to sort out their personal shit. Angua does. I like that she has trust issues and identity issues and a complete inability to control her inner dog, I just don't think she should be an officer, because she clearly hasn't mastered herself.

And it pisses me off that Vimes, who is otherwise a really good judge of character, doesn't seem to realise this.

You know what I'd do about it? If I knew my brother was about to cause absolute political havoc in Uberwald by fucking up their king and government, I'd tell my boss, especially if my boss happens to be the fucking A-M ambassador to Uberwald. And since my boss originally wanted me to come along in his retinue anyway, I would have gone to Uberwald in an official capacity and told him what the fuck was going on, which incidentally would have also avoided getting Lady Sybil into danger, and would have saved the life of Inigo Skimmer.

But Vimes wasn't the ambassador yet, so your hypothetical makes no sense. Vimes most likely would have said, "That sucks. I'm sorry. You have my leave to go sort it out."

And that would also be a hundred times smarter than just abandoning both Vimes and the Watch and running off on a hare-brained adventure without telling anyone why.

To be fair, she did tell people why. She left a note for Carrot, which is the same as leaving a note for your boss. She made a judgment call, it was her family, her past, her business, and she left to deal with it rather than try to (rather irresponsibly IMO) try to involve the Watch as you suggest. And you know what, it was the right call. Its not as though she's the most indispensable part of the Watch. She had no way of knowing that both Carrot and Vimes would leave as well. To fault her on this seems rather nonsensical to me. If anything, Carrot was the one who made the irresponsible decision, a fact that he himself acknowledges at the end of the book.

Also, Vimes has done things 1000 times more reckless and irresponsible than this.

I know - the thing I don't like about Angua is that she consistently behaves like this and never gets told off for it. Is it supposed to be somehow excusable if she consistently behaves like a drama queen?

Please let me know another time she's left AM. She's considered it, yes, but why should she get told off for having inner doubts about her career and boyfriend?

I actually agree that Angua's realistic in many respects. But I think it's unrealistic that she never gets into trouble for the things she does.

Seriously, what else has she done? Nothing. In fact, I would argue she didn't do anything wrong in Fifth Elephant, she made a sensible decision when she left. People leave their jobs to deal with family situations ALL THE TIME. If they don't want it to be anyone's business, I don't blame them.

And it pisses me off that Vimes, who is otherwise a really good judge of character, doesn't seem to realise this.

I think Vimes has a better judge of her character than you do. She was crucial to solving the case in Thud! and in fact saved Vimes's life when he was struggling against the Dark sign. She's been instrumental in helping the Watch multiple times and is one of its most insightful members.

But Vimes wasn't the ambassador yet, so your hypothetical makes no sense. Vimes most likely would have said, "That sucks. I'm sorry. You have my leave to go sort it out."

Right, he had just been made ambassador when she found about Gavin. Had she waited for a second and told Vimes what Gavin had told her that very same day, the exact same situation I outlined above would have happened.

If you had bothered to read what I wrote, I never suggested that she involve the Watch either. =) I said she should have told Vimes or stay back and do her job. Neither did I say she behaves like this all time. When I talk about the irresponsible things she's done, yes I am mainly talking about running away from her job in Men At Arms (even though she came back later), and running away in The Fifth Elephant. Vimes has done irresponsible things, but he pays for it. Carrot has behaved irresponsibly and acknowledges it (as you pointed out). Angua has done irresponsible things and not paid for it - nobody even acknowledges it. That is the double standard I can't tolerate. Angua does make herself useful in other books, but that doesn't mean she should be allowed run away from her job without consequences. The fact that nobody ever reprimands her for her behavior is my main problem.

I can see you're digging your heels in and resorting to making personal attacks, so I'm not going to get involved in an endless argument with you. You're not convincing me in the least, and I believe I'm doing nothing but making you angry.

Right, he had just been made ambassador when she found about Gavin. Had she waited for a second and told Vimes what Gavin had told her that very same day, the exact same situation I outlined above would have happened.

So now your problem with the decision was that she made it too quickly? Even though she says she did so because she didn't want Carrot to try and stop her?

If you had bothered to read what I wrote, I never suggested that she involve the Watch either. =) I said she should have told Vimes or stay back and do her job.

But what sense is there in telling Vimes if he can't do anything about it? (which, as far as Angua knew, he couldn't) And deciding to leave is her call, as it would be with anyone facing a family crisis.

Neither did I say she behaves like this all time.

Well, you said:

the thing I don't like about Angua is that she consistently behaves like this and never gets told off for it.

Apologies if I misinterpreted.

When I talk about the irresponsible things she's done, yes I am mainly talking about running away from her job in Men At Arms (even though she came back later), and running away in The Fifth Elephant.

So two instances. One of which never happened, (she never left) and the other, a reasonable decision that she notified her superior of. So much for "consistently behaving like a drama queen."

I don't know why anyone would be told off for having inner doubts about a relationship and a career.

Vimes has done irresponsible things, but he pays for it. Carrot has behaved irresponsibly and acknowledges it (as you pointed out). Angua has done irresponsible things and not paid for it - nobody even acknowledges it. That is the double standard I can't tolerate. Angua does make herself useful in other books, but that doesn't mean she should be allowed run away from her job without consequences. The fact that nobody ever reprimands her for her behavior is my main problem.

Actually, Vimes and Carrot usually get incredibly lucky, Carrot so much that its a continuing plot device in the books.

I guess I don't see what the problem is with Angua leaving. She found out about family trouble, she decided to leave, notified the Watch Captain, and then left. This is entirely keeping with Watch policy as you'll notice in Thud and other books.

Honestly, the double-standard here seems to be that you have more problem with Angua leaving to sort out a family problem than with Carrot's completely irresponsible (and near disastrous) decision to follow her afterward. (and how did he get punished for that?)

I can see you're digging your heels in and resorting to making personal attacks, so I'm not going to get involved in an endless argument with you. You're not convincing me in the least, and I believe I'm doing nothing but making you angry.

Excuse me, where have I been personal? :shocked: If anything, you seem to be the one getting angry, using words like venting and hating. You certainly are digging your heels in way more than I. Apologies if my counter-arguments have offended you in some way. :dunno:

• 1 month later...

I HATED Unseen Academicals. Seriously - was struggling to finish it.

Is there such a thing as Pratchett overload?? It seems to me that for the past few years I've been reading his books going "Oh now that character is going to do that, cos at this point, that's what this type of Pratchett character does". And I feel all jaded and old.

And I have no interest in football, so I couldn't care less. And I felt nothing for Nutt at all.

But then I remember 10 years ago, finding Small Gods a struggle. I think it was because I was raised in a deeply relegious family and was at that time up to my neck in it. The last thing I wanted to do was read someone's treatise on relegion. I was sick to death of the whole subject!

And I gotta ask, cos this is something that really divides readers: Is there anyone out there who is distinctly bored by the character of Sam Vimes?

Anyone? Bueller??

I just hate that tired old "jaded cop" trope. And the tired old "I'm really hostile to wealth and honours because I'm authentic" trope. Oh shut up!

I find it too heavy-handed with Sam. In Thud! the whole Where's my Cow sub-theme. It's a charming idea. But by God, it really was sledgehammered home towards the end, wasn't it? OK, we get it! He loves his son! Reason to live yadda yadda yadda! And poor Sybil - ignored most of the time, patronised the rest of the time.

But the thing that really bugged me was when Pterry suddenly decided that every second damn book had to contain Vimes. The reason I bought UA was actually because it wasn't about the Watch. I'm bored to tears with all of them. The only ones I liked were Nobby and Colon. The others were just too "heart of gold".

It may seem that I'm a hater, but I'm anything but. I have about 20 books. And I love so much of them. I'm hoping his next one is really crazy interesting.

And I gotta ask, cos this is something that really divides readers: Is there anyone out there who is distinctly bored by the character of Sam Vimes?

Anyone? Bueller??

And now you must die... :devil:

Actually, I couldn't disagree with you more. I love Vimes. Always have, always will.

• 4 weeks later...

An interesting and exciting press release came out today from Transworld:

Transworld Publishers are delighted to announce an exciting new collaboration between Sir Terry Pratchett and Stephen Baxter.

Sir Terry Pratchett first developed his vision of a chain of parallel worlds, The Long Earth, in an unfinished novel and two short stories in 1986, after writing Equal Rites, the third novel in what would turn into the hugely successful Discworld series. Now, at last, this long-gestating concept is to see the light of day in two as-yet-untitled books written in collaboration with Stephen Baxter, author of Flood, Ark and the Time’s Tapestry and Destiny’s Children series.

‘Our Earth is but one of a chain of parallel worlds, each differing from its neighbours by a little (or a lot) in an infinite landscape of infinite possibilities. And you can just step from one world to the next…’

The deal was brokered through Colin Smythe and Ralph Vicinanza and the first Long Earth novel is due to be published by Doubleday in spring 2012.

Additionally, Sir Terry Pratchett has recently completed I Shall Wear Midnight, the fourth in the Tiffany Aching books, to be published in September, and is already at work on his next Discworld novel for publication in autumn 2011. Number 37 in the series, Unseen Academicals, has just come out in Corgi paperback.

I like the Tiffany books very much. Finally someone who can replace or be on the level of Granny - some day.

I think she and Granny are a great pair and her first three stories were very good.

I was never that much impressed by Vimes. I only like him when hes talking to Vetinari.

he had some good moments here and there but on the whole he talks too mcvuh, thinks too much and is experienced too much.

Can go on my nerves too much.

Inigo was one of the best side characters from all of the books. mhh-mm.

For me "Tha Last hero" is the pinnacle of the Discworld series and the best Granny book is definitely "Carpe Jugulum".

Archived