Filming in Scotland

Black Wizard

I think they are going to shoot the courtyard scenes at Doune caste. The courtyard looks great, and exterior shoots should be hard to make look right in a studio. It could be done of course. But why bother, when something like the courtyard of Doune castle is available.

If they are bringing in interior props they must be shooting some inside scenes too.

I havent spoiled myself with the leaked script, so I am not sure excactly which scenes is in there, but the list should be something like this-

Ned and Cats bedroom scene

The girls sewing lesson

the big feast

the crypts

The real question is wheter they will shoot some of the interior scenes in the castle. Like Cat and Neds bedroom scene. As i imagine it, the pros about doing this is the realism. It would help conway the harsh reality of life in a castle, where floors, walls, ceilings are made of cold stone. The con would be practicality, in shooting in a small and cold castle room far from everything, instead of a nice big warm studio, in the middle of Belfast.

I don´t know how the cost would compare between shooting the bedroom scene in doune castle compared to building a castle room with plaster walls in the paint hall. By guess is that they would always choose the last option, due to practicality.

I think it will (hopefully) be a seemless blend between castle shots, studio shots, and perhaps a little CGI. And the viewers will be none the wiser.

Tweeted pics taken and uploaded today from Doune, plus links to YouTube videos from Jason Momoa revealing his role as Drogo in Australia, over here.

Or ... not. Thought the scaffolding was for getting lighting into the courtyard, but it looks like a hall (the great hall?) is there... Perhaps to set up lighting for that instead? Curious.

Well this is interesting, since I happen to be a student of Stirling university. I've also been to doune castle for the monty python thing before.

Will have to stop by.

Shame Tamzin won't be filimg any scenes here, I'm quite fond of her. She's cute as a button(Haters be damned!)

:cool:

It probably really depends on whether or not they're going cinematic or realistic. I could justify a smaller Great Hall if they're being prickly about what's possible or likely for a given era. If they're saying, "Nothing later than 14th century engineering," then Doune is about what you get, on average.

The 13th Century hall over here is almost twice the size of the Doune Great Hall. It is a royal hall though, but Winterfell used to be royal as well.

Popped in to Doune. Was rather cool - the Winterfell great hall looks awesome :). Peter Dinklage was around, didn't recognise anyone else, though apparently Ghost was there yesterday..

Filming is happening in the courtyard, the walls, a kitchen scene and the great hall.

They may even take over Doune Castle for the entirety of the shoot, so there's no excuse for tourists or other people to be around.

Nope. HS does not close any of their sites for film sets, though some areas may be restricted.

I went down to Doune as well - I can also confirm that filming was happening on the walls. The castle looked awesome - but anything filmed today is going to be wet... it rained all day today.

Filming is going on at Doune until the 30th. But that might include breaking down the sets.

Yeah there was a screen - I have a picture of it - which could have been a filming background? I saw it through a window, I'm going to go up there on Thursday and hope that they are still filming.

Ok cool. You able to give us a link to the photo?

Maybe they just have cameras up on the wall to film down into the courtyard for an overhead shot? Or maybe Jon and Arya will be up on the walls watching Bran and Tommen sparring.

Exciting stuff, keep it coming guys!

Loras,

That sounds like it answers my question regarding the scaffolding I saw up the side of the wall near the main gate. I guess that's for lighting and other equipment to film whatever they're doing there.

Very cool stuff.

Ran,

I agree with you, but I think that that scaffolding is more likely involved in the interior shots. The area where I took the photo would have been the lighting above the courtyard. I was at the back of the castle. The curtain suggests that it is being used as a background. I think a strong possibility is the Arya/Jon scene.

Also there is a big black box sticking out of the side of the castle on one of the walls. I'm not sure what the purpose was. But it could be being used as a camera platform to film the interior of the great hall - from outside?

Archived