Filming in Scotland

Black Wizard

Popped in to Doune. Was rather cool - the Winterfell great hall looks awesome :). Peter Dinklage was around, didn't recognise anyone else, though apparently Ghost was there yesterday..

Can you comment on Dinklage's appearance? Was he wearing makeup (like was he made to look grotesque), was his hair blonde?

My local castle could probably only pass as Pyke, or maybe Dragonstone. However I think it could be too small, and since the castle was used and renovated to fight Napoleon, and then used as a Nazi garrison, that the architecture is too different to pass as Westerosi. However a man can dream!

Castle Cornet

Castle Cornet

Castle Cornet

Castle Cornet

I'm looking at that and thinking, "Septry on the Quiet Isle in AFFC," :)

I'm sure that many of you recall the giddy expectations that seemed to come every day during principal photography of PJ's The Lord of the Rings. Every day on TheOneRing.net, it seemed some new revelation was forthcoming and fan expectations seemed boundless.

I'm getting that same feeling at Winter is Coming now. Westeros, always a little more serious, is no less expectant.

I've been relistening to AGoT and am on to Roy Dotrice's wonderful reading of A Clash of Kings now. I'll be weeks still in ASoIaF on my iPod before I'm done the full listen...only to come up depressingly at the end of John Lee's AFFC with no more news of Jon and the Wall than there was nine years ago. *sigh* (No, GRRM's not my bitch - but I ain't happy about it either).

Still, for all that, I have a feeling that by this time next year, we'll be eagerly looking forward to ADwD's release in November 2010 and AGoT's series premiere on HBO in January 2011.

It's a long wait still - but if there's anything that fans of GRRM's tale have proved - it's that we are a very patient lot.

Just found this on the Doune Castle page of the Historic Scotland website:

Please note that due to a private event certain areas of the castle will have restricted access until 30th October 2009. We apologise for any inconvenience caused. Due to this event there will be no parking permitted at the castle except for disability access. Please instead use the park and ride facility which is signposted.

I sorta like the 'private event' part. :)

Lol, if the show gets greenlighted, we should start a location suggestion thread. The actor ones worked quite well, it seems. ;)

I remember we did have a location suggestion thread, including lots of castle suggestions. I can't remember anyone suggesting Doune, though, probably because we were thinking mainly about the external appearance of the castles whereas Doune seems mainly to be used for internal or courtyard scenes.

Can you comment on Dinklage's appearance? Was he wearing makeup (like was he made to look grotesque), was his hair blonde?

His hair was blonde and longish, scruffy looking, very much as I imagine Tyrion. He wasn't in make up or costume or anything - didn't see anyone in costume really. He was hanging about outside the castle a fair bit.

Just to echo Loras, staff at the castle were lovely and friendly. It wasn't shut off to tourists today which is how we got in (not anything to do with being a 'long term aquaintance' of GRRM, Ran!). Just luck we arrived when there wasn't too much filming going on so we could wander around. Lots of film vans, and buzz about the place.

And for anyone interested in Doune, here's a painting I did earlier on this year .. I painted Winterfell before I knew it was winterfell :P

OK, here's the promised virtual tour of Doune I put up on my blog:

http://lostfort.blogspot.com/2009/10/doune...rtual-tour.html

Enjoy. :)

ADDED: here are a few more photos:

http://lostfort.blogspot.com/2009/10/more-doune-photos.html

(Edited to add: I downsize pics I put online; in case the talented people who do those fine posters want to use my photos as background, please feel free to contact me about higher resolution versions.)

Meh, should have left us all the illusion that you're a mysterious big shot, Fee! ;)

Thanks for setting me straight, and for the cool reports. Regarding the great hall, had they gotten it decked out with banners and such when you were there?

Many thanks to Loras, Gabriele, and everyone else who provided any eyewitness accounts of the first day of principal photography or more information about Doune. You're an awesome lot!

I drove past the castle tonight... there didn't seem to be lights on in the castle suggesting filming had finished earlier. It is quite a warm, dryish night so I would have expected tonight to be a good night for night shots - I assume that the required cast for the night shots weren't around?

Archived